Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What Band And Radio Would You Select For Simplex On A Cruise Ship?  (Read 2636 times)
N0JS

Ignore
« on: March 17, 2013, 05:15:38 PM »

My wife and I are both amateur radio operators.  We have gone on cruise in the past and just used old Nextels for off network Direct Talk simplex.  Since they are only 600 milliwatts, we lost contact occasionally.  Anyway, if I decide to spring for a pair of new or used portables, what band and radios should I go with? 
VA3CDG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 06:43:41 PM »

I'd go with UHF in this situation.

No chance of interfering with ship-to-ship HF or VHF. and it is WAY unlikely that you will interfere with intra-ship UHF radios if you buy good gear.

Take a look about for a couple of used Alinco or Yaesu low power dual banders. They will fit the bill. With after market antennas of course.

DJC6T or DJC7T or VX1R or VX3R.
VE3FMC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2013, 06:18:55 PM »

Buy a pair of Baofeng UV-5R dual band HT's. For under $100 shipped you will have two good radios to use on the cruise and after the cruise too.

Check Ebay for them, lots of sellers, mainly from China where I got mine. Most offer free shipping too.  Smiley
WB5ITT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2013, 10:17:44 AM »

Remember, in territorial waters of another country, you are bound by their rules....in Europe, 2m is only 144-146 and UHF ham is 430-440........even on board operation could be an issue depending on the ship's registry....check all rules before the cruise....ARRL HQ can help.
KS4VT

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2013, 03:34:14 PM »

The last cruise I was on they had an on-board CDMA phone system that worked really well and 2 hansets were assigned per room.
We were able to call and test message and it made communications great between us.
Call the cruise company and see it they have them.  If they do leave the radios at home and use those.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2013, 04:22:37 PM »

Remember, in territorial waters of another country, you are bound by their rules....in Europe, 2m is only 144-146 and UHF ham is 430-440........even on board operation could be an issue depending on the ship's registry....check all rules before the cruise....ARRL HQ can help.

Even in international waters you are bound by the rules of the country of ships registry (FCC for a U.S. vessel) and that may well include having the captain's permission to operate the radios on board.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: