The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: display screen bubbles!  (Read 12614 times)
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2013, 11:08:00 AM »

At this time I'm thinking if I get motivated enougn (blue LEDs!), I'll remove the screen, scrape the front screen with a cabinet scraper or such, and polish with a buffing wheel and special compound for such purpose.  But still seeking an easier solution. 

If you go this route (assuming display cover is thick enough) you want block sand it down with increasingly finer grit and then buff to smooth surface.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2013, 02:14:18 PM »

... At this time I'm thinking if I get motivated enougn (blue LEDs!), I'll remove the screen, scrape the front screen with a cabinet scraper or such, and polish with a buffing wheel and special compound for such purpose.  But still seeking an easier solution.  Thank you all again for your thoughtful suggestions.  73, Aloha, Steve.

The local auto parts stores have kits for polishing those frosted plastic headlight lenses. 

The same kit can work great on plastic lenses on radios.  But use a much smaller buffing wheel than that which comes for use on headlights, of course.  Dremel tool and accessory for buffing works nice here, with the headlight lens compound. 

K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2013, 02:16:25 PM »

You might want to consider an auto headlamp polishing kit.  They're supposed to be able to buff plastic down to a like new surface.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2013, 02:59:44 PM »

You might want to consider an auto headlamp polishing kit.  They're supposed to be able to buff plastic down to a like new surface.

This would work if only surface was damaged/hazed. If there is deeper damage you need to sand it down first.

K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2013, 08:30:45 PM »

JX:  I was afraid to mention "sand" in view of DZP's ways of doing things for fear he would start out with a belt sander and go from there!   Roll Eyes
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2013, 09:20:04 PM »

JX:  I was afraid to mention "sand" in view of DZP's ways of doing things for fear he would start out with a belt sander and go from there!   Roll Eyes

Well if he did that there would be no more problems with display lens bubbles because there would be no more lens. Smiley

Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: