Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Plug and play RTTY/Digital modes.  (Read 4650 times)
V47JA

Ignore
« on: March 18, 2013, 05:28:39 AM »

Hi Guys,

For the past several years I have received many requests to put V4 on the RTTY/Digtal map. My question is what would be the easiest and simplest way to get on, for a "NON Digital kind of guy".  The radio is a TS590S, SB200, and Dell laptop.  The ideal solution would be "plug and play", did I mention NON Digital kind of guy, so KISS really applies here.  Thanks for the suggestions.

John  V47JA  -  W5JON
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2013, 06:46:23 AM »

FLDIGI software (free download), SignaLink USB with appropriate pre programmed header plug and cable for TS590S.  As close to plug-and-play as you can get.
N8FNR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2013, 08:32:47 AM »

If you go the fldigi route and have problems you can get help from the great Yahoo Groups forum at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/win-fldigi/?yguid=212792113
BTW, fldigi is a wonderful program. Please ignore the reviews of it on eham as the software is very stable.
I use fldigi on a daily basis and have never had any issues. My rig is a flex-5000 and I don't have to use a soundcard interface with it.

You should also think about running WSJT too! It is a bit more complicated to use but is pretty cool; http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wsjtgroup/?yguid=212792113 http://physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/K1JT/

Zack
N8FNR
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 08:37:07 AM by N8FNR » Logged
K6OK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2013, 12:03:03 PM »

For the past several years I have received many requests to put V4 on the RTTY/Digtal map. My question is what would be the easiest and simplest way to get on, for a "NON Digital kind of guy".  The radio is a TS590S, SB200, and Dell laptop. 

You're in luck... the TS-590 is slick and easy to set up for RTTY and digital modes. There's no need to buy a USB Signalink -- the TS-590 has a built-in soundcard. You don't need audio cables. All you need to do is to run one USB cable from your laptop to the USB port on the back of the rig, configure the software, done!

It's just a matter of making sure the Kenwood drivers are on your laptop. After installing a digital program, such as FLDIGI, configure the program to use the rig's USB codec for the 'microphone' and the codec for the 'speaker' under FLDIGI's Soundcard setup. Rather than use PTT, which can be troublesome to configure, I find using the TS-590's USB VOX to work FB. Then it's just a matter of setting the proper audio levels in Windows for both receive and transmit.

73 Jim K6OK
V47JA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 04:54:07 PM »

Thanks guys. Looks like digital will soon have a new counry. 
73 and Dx,
John  V47JA   -   W5JON
VA7CPC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2013, 06:50:05 PM »

. . .
It's just a matter of making sure the Kenwood drivers are on your laptop. After installing a digital program, such as FLDIGI, configure the program to use the rig's USB codec for the 'microphone' and the codec for the 'speaker' under FLDIGI's Soundcard setup. Rather than use PTT, which can be troublesome to configure, I find using the TS-590's USB VOX to work FB. Then it's just a matter of setting the proper audio levels in Windows for both receive and transmit.

73 Jim K6OK

Just one note --

USB cables are rather sensitive to RFI.  So put a clip-on ferrite choke on each end of the cable.

.             Charles
N8FNR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2013, 07:02:46 AM »

Another good option is to use the DXLab suite of free programs. If you use Winwarbler that is part of the suite for PSK and RTTY it will put any contacts you make into the log (DXKeeper) that is also part of the suite. http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/3139#117861 http://www.dxlabsuite.com/

Zack
N8FNR
V47JA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2013, 03:14:41 PM »

Hi,

The SIGNALINK really is "plug and play", even for a Digital novice like me.  Ordered it, received it, plugged in two cables, configured my laptop, and life is good. Thanks to all for the suggestions. See you on RTTY/Digital Modes.

73 and DX,

John V47JA -  W5JON
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2013, 04:24:50 AM »

I worked you on 15m phone in March. Looking forward to putting in the log on RTTY!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: