Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Global "Forever" Stamps  (Read 3928 times)
NI0C

Ignore
« on: March 18, 2013, 10:44:56 AM »

When the A and K indices are up, it is time to catch up on sending out QSL's.  So I went to the local post office this morning and asked for twenty $1.10 foreign air mail postage stamps.  The clerk returned with 20 very nice looking "Global Forever" stamps, and she charged me $22.00.   

Although I'm pleased that the stamps are marked "forever," I noticed that the stamps are dated 2013, so I wonder if the USPS is hedging a bit there.

Chuck  NI0C
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2013, 11:12:55 AM »

When the A and K indices are up, it is time to catch up on sending out QSL's.  So I went to the local post office this morning and asked for twenty $1.10 foreign air mail postage stamps.  The clerk returned with 20 very nice looking "Global Forever" stamps, and she charged me $22.00.   

Although I'm pleased that the stamps are marked "forever," I noticed that the stamps are dated 2013, so I wonder if the USPS is hedging a bit there.

Chuck  NI0C

As for trusting the USG to keep its word, let's just say I wouldn't go out and buy a 10 year supply, Chuck.  Wink   

Chris/NU1O
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2013, 11:23:56 AM »

Perhaps people will now use forever stamps to hedge against inflation rather than using gold...

Jonathan W6GX
KE8G

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2013, 11:41:51 AM »

I just love going to the post office the day before they raise the price of the domestic Forever stamp and buy a few hundred of them... I make a whole couple of bucks!!!!

I just bought 100 of the Global Forever stamps and was surprised at how they appear.  I have never seen a U.S. stamp that was circular.  I only remember square and rectangular U.S. stamps.

73 de Jim - KE8G
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2013, 12:02:13 PM »

I just wish the UPU and its member countries could get their heads out of their collective rumps long enough to take the Global Forever Stamp to the next level and have something like that available on an international basis, replacing IRCs. Buy the stamp in Germany, mail it from the USA to Japan. Member countries' post offices could buy from the UPU--again, as they do IRCs--and charge whatever they want for them.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
N2RJ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2013, 12:10:44 PM »

I just wish the UPU and its member countries could get their heads out of their collective rumps long enough to take the Global Forever Stamp to the next level and have something like that available on an international basis, replacing IRCs. Buy the stamp in Germany, mail it from the USA to Japan. Member countries' post offices could buy from the UPU--again, as they do IRCs--and charge whatever they want for them.

As long as they keep the price uniform, go for it, otherwise I suspect a lot of people will be buying up in other countries.

And I think some people will not want them and instead still ask for 3USD.
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2013, 01:21:24 PM »

Perhaps people will now use forever stamps to hedge against inflation rather than using gold...

Jonathan W6GX

That's never going to happen.  First of all, the "Forever" pledge is worthless.  The USPS is bankrupt and if they need extra revenue a "Forever Pledge" is not going to stop them from raising rates and doing away with the "Forever Pledge."

Secondly, I asked the teller if I bought 5 thousand dollars in "Forevers" if I could redeem them for dollars in, say, 10 years, and I was told they could not be redeemed for money but only used as stamps. So, even if you are prepared to lose purchasing power, since there is no interest, you are still stuck with stamps which you'd have to sell at a discount to face value if you had a considerable amount. Although gold does not earn interest it can be easily converted into any currency w/o taking a huge haircut, unlike "Forever" stamps.

If you want to hedge against inflation you'd better stick with hard commodities like Gold, Oil, Ags, Real Estate, or Stocks.

The market in stamps is too small and history has shown one can't trust the USG to keep its promises. Dollars were once exchangeable into Gold and look what happened to that pledge.

Chris/NU1O

NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2013, 09:12:17 AM »

Jonathan W6GX

The market in stamps is too small and history has shown one can't trust the USG to keep its promises. Dollars were once exchangeable into Gold and look what happened to that pledge.

Chris/NU1O

Yeah, its horrible!!! We became the richest, most powerful, most advanced nation in the world.

My dad is a lot like you. He can find rain on a sunny day.  Grin

Maybe working a new one will cheer you up. I know it would cheer me up.  Grin
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2013, 09:32:24 AM »

Jonathan W6GX

That's never going to happen.  First of all, the "Forever" pledge is worthless.  The USPS is bankrupt and if they need extra revenue a "Forever Pledge" is not going to stop them from raising rates and doing away with the "Forever Pledge."

Secondly, I asked the teller if I bought 5 thousand dollars in "Forevers" if I could redeem them for dollars in, say, 10 years, and I was told they could not be redeemed for money but only used as stamps. So, even if you are prepared to lose purchasing power, since there is no interest, you are still stuck with stamps which you'd have to sell at a discount to face value if you had a considerable amount. Although gold does not earn interest it can be easily converted into any currency w/o taking a huge haircut, unlike "Forever" stamps.

If you want to hedge against inflation you'd better stick with hard commodities like Gold, Oil, Ags, Real Estate, or Stocks.

Chris/NU1O

RR.  It was meant to be a joke.  Now IF the prices of new stamps go up substantially (say 10% a year) as the US Postal tries to recover from financial downfall the forever stamps could almost double in value in seven years.  If I sell them at a 20% discount I would still have a return that is above the rate of inflation.

Jonathan W6GX
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2013, 10:18:26 AM »

RR.  It was meant to be a joke.  Now IF the prices of new stamps go up substantially (say 10% a year) as the US Postal tries to recover from financial downfall the forever stamps could almost double in value in seven years.  If I sell them at a 20% discount I would still have a return that is above the rate of inflation.

Jonathan W6GX

The thought entered my mind but you usually use those smileys so you fooled me this time.

There was a time when one could sell a bunch of stamps - at a discount - to those who had vending routes but those stamp machines aren't nearly as prevalent as they used to be. I haven't seen one in many years.

If stamps go up 20% a year for 7 years we will all be up shit's creek without a paddle which is why everybody should own some inflation hedges.  I was only in college but the "Carter Years" were actually a good time to study economics.

If inflation ever got that bad the USPS would do away with their Forever pledge and charge a surtax depending upon the year the stamps were issued. That's one reason they put the year on those Forever stamps.

Chris/NU1O

NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2013, 10:25:09 AM »

Yeah, its horrible!!! We became the richest, most powerful, most advanced nation in the world.

A new one would be nice but that's my personality and I'm too old to change. I like to classify myself as a realist rather than a cynic but if the shoe fits...  Wink  Your dad and I would no doubt get along well together.

Chris/NU1O
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2013, 11:06:48 AM »

A new one would be nice but that's my personality and I'm too old to change. I like to classify myself as a realist rather than a cynic but if the shoe fits...  Wink  Your dad and I would no doubt get along well together.

Chris/NU1O

Well, if it helps, my Dad is a great guy and at 82 is still working! He's pretty doggone good at electronics also. I think I was 13 when he got me my Knight Kit Shortwave Radio kit - which started all his ham radio stuff.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: