Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Antenna loationon Dodge Challenger  (Read 2664 times)
N2VQ

Ignore
« on: March 18, 2013, 12:09:53 PM »

Antenna location on Dodge Challenger

I just got a new Dodge Challenger and want to install  UHF/VHF and HF antennae.  My tentative plan is to install a trailer hitch receiver and mount a cross bar on that where I'd put an antenna on either end.  Is that practical?  Any other suggestions?  I don't want to put anything on the car body yet--at least until I get a few dents and scratches and the new wears off.

Thanks,
Bruce
N2VQ
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2013, 12:47:50 PM »

How about a thru glass antenna. It will give a much cleaner install. I have used them for many years on and off and currently use on on a P/U. They are not quite the match of a regular antenna in performance but do a good job and leave no marks behind when removed. 

--------------------------------------
You can embrace new computer/tablet technology and change with it or cling to old fall far behind....
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2013, 02:32:17 PM »

I don't want to put anything on the car body yet--at least until I get a few dents and scratches and the new wears off.

You say that like an antenna is a bad thing. 

This is an extension of your hamshack, a place you will spend hours of your time operating.  Why not enhance the new car with a really nice antenna and a crispy new rig, custom installed in the dash?

There is nothing like the smell of new factory paint smoke as it curls up from a freshly drilled NMO hole.  That's the best part of the "new car smell" for me.  Do it right, do it once, it will look great and you will enjoy it for years.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM

AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2013, 09:12:19 AM »

You probably already know this, but there's a big recall for V-6 Challengers.  Call your dealer if you don't already know about it, or take a look on the web.
VA3WXM

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2013, 10:33:09 AM »

That presumes the OP has a V6 Challenger.

I had my new car less than 24 hours before the first NMO hole was drilled.  I have no experience operating HF mobile but for VHF/UHF I'd suggest a single NMO mount, in the middle of the trunklid and a Larsen NMO270 antenna.
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2013, 09:17:59 AM »

That presumes the OP has a V6 Challenger.

No, it does NOT.  If I were presuming that the OP had a V-6, I wouldn't have specified that it was the V-6 models that were affected.  I just didn't want a fellow ham to be driving a dangerous car because he hadn't heard the news of the recall.  I specified V-6 so he would know if he were affected or not. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: