ICs for RF amp and mixer?

(1/2) > >>

Philip Lee:
I was wondering if any of you would tell me some good ICs for a VHF RF amp, IF amp, and mixer that I could get on mouser or digikey.

Thanks a lot!

:
Quote from: KI4THS on March 18, 2013, 05:04:35 PM

I was wondering if any of you would tell me some good ICs for a VHF RF amp, IF amp, and mixer that I could get on mouser or digikey.

Thanks a lot!

Does it have to be Mouser or Digikey?  For a VHF RF amp, it's more common to design one using a suitable BJT or FET.  For an IF amp, traditional common ones are the MC1349 or MC1350 (but you didn't state what IF frequency). For a mixer, a common device would be NE602A or NE612A (also same devices with SA prefix instead of NE). These can be found at places like http://kitsandparts.com/

Philip Lee:
Thanks for the reply! I really like your youtube videos BTW. I will design the IF for 10.7 MHz.

The biggest concern for me is the RF amp; I've never built one. The NXP BF1202 seems like a good choice, apparently able to give 34 dB gain at 200 MHz in a common-source configuration. Is this enough before feeding to a mixer? The S1 level corresponds to -141 dBm, so with a single stage I'd be feeding -107 dBm to the mixer. What's typical to feed a mixer?

Peter Chadwick:
It all depends on what you are wanting in terms of noise figure, gain compression point, intermodulation performance and how good the phase noise of the local oscillator is, since with high phase noise, the other parameters are effectively compromised.

Philip Lee:
Quote from: Peter Chadwick on March 19, 2013, 01:10:06 AM

It all depends on what you are wanting in terms of noise figure, gain compression point, intermodulation performance and how good the phase noise of the local oscillator is, since with high phase noise, the other parameters are effectively compromised.

To be honest, I don't really know. I am just starting the design. Is there a canonical document for superhet design considerations?

I am tentatively planning to use the Si570CBC programmable CMOS XO. This one has about 31.5ppm of total stability and about 0.5ps of phase jitter.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page