Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking For A Simple To Operate 2 Meter HT & Mobile Rig.  (Read 9936 times)
N3BQA

Ignore
« on: March 18, 2013, 05:49:20 PM »

I'm looking for a new simple to program & operate 2 meter only ht & mobile rig. I'm tired of rigs with fancy bells & whistles, difficult menus, etc. I do not want to carry an operator's manual with me all the time. Anything out there where an engineering degree is not required?
VA3CDG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2013, 08:07:35 PM »

I think simple to program is relative.

That being said. I have a Yaesu FT-60R and it's totally simple. One level menu that is logical and simple to use. Also, quite a damn good radio.

I know you asked for a mono-bander, but I have no knowledge of any other than the 60R.

See if one of your buddies has one. Try it out.
KE4VVF

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2013, 08:31:49 PM »

HTX-202 is a simple 2m HT.  It can be found selling for $40 at most hamfests that I attend. It is an old model.
Yaesu FT-2900R is fairly simple, pretty cheap and rather powerful. 
KD0NGX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 09:34:18 PM »

I have a Yaesu FT-250R I bought as an opened box from HRO a few years back. It works very similar to the FT-60R and uses the same accessories, but the 250 is 2M. It's pretty basic but that's what I wanted and it works well. I have the FT-60R too. I have programmed without software--just from the front of the radios.
KC9NVP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013, 05:36:23 AM »

You may not find a simple 2 meter radio that does not required some programming.  I have the Icom V8 and for simple simplex operation, it is great.  If you plan to work a repeater, you will need to program in the off sets and tones for the repeater.  Icom also has on their website a one sheet programming instructions for the V8 which eliminates having to carry the manual.

David S
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2013, 07:06:55 AM »

Consider commercial radios.  Once they're set up there's only a couple knobs and a switch or two to deal with.  90% of my 2M and 440 activity is with radios that have 6 channels and an on-off-volume knob.   Some radios like my Yaesu have a "channel mode" which can make things a bit simpler but not as simple as a commercial radio with just a couple knobs sticking out of the top.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
K4JJL

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2013, 07:39:18 AM »

A GE M-PA with Hamflash firmware is the easiest radio I've ever used.  Traded a 40w MSF5000 UHF repeater for 2 of these (one VHF and one UHF).  Use them all the time.  Super durable, too.  You can run over it with a car and it will still work just fine.  Case is heavy die-cast metal.

Only problems is batteries.  Pretty expensive, considering you can buy a Chinese handheld and a half for what a replacement battery costs.
KM3F

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2013, 07:15:13 PM »

Looking at the issue this way says you will always need the same actions no matter what radio you have.
A. The offset is standard and automatic 99.9% of the time.
B. You will nearly always need to set the PL tone or use the PL tone hunting feature is it has one, unless you know the repeater is open.
You will need to turn on the Tone function.
C. You will need to set the power level unless you want to run full power for all repeaters.
D. You will always have to set the output frequency up in VFO function.
E. You will always need to set each to a memory number out of VFO..
F. There will be a time you want to clear a memory of a setting.
There is no way to boil all these down to a few simple actions.
The other way is to use a programming cable and computer and do it off a monitor, then load the setting into the radio.
Now take care you don't over work yourself playing in a hobby. Hi hi.
Good luck.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 07:32:48 PM by KM3F » Logged
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2013, 07:30:56 PM »

Look at a Kenwood TH K20 2 meter HT and a Kemwood TM 281 mobile. The can both be had for a total of about 300 bucks or less and easy to use too. Both support narrow band 2.5khz FM too.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
KU4UV

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2013, 12:29:52 PM »

Icom IC-2AT.  Doesn't get much simplier that that for an HT.  Look for them at hamfests or on eBay.
K4JJL

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2013, 07:30:58 AM »

Icom IC-2AT.  Doesn't get much simplier that that for an HT.  Look for them at hamfests or on eBay.

CTCSS becomes an issue with this radio, especially when not equipped with the appropriate board.  Changing tones becomes another issue if you do, in fact, have the appropriate board.
KQ6Q

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2013, 08:34:45 PM »

The Alinco single band radios are solid, and program a whole lot easier than many others, and have all current features.
I have the 220 model, DJV-27T
N7DMA

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2013, 06:41:51 PM »

Yaesu/Vertex VX-150. MFJ "Long Ranger" antenna for portable. Simple radio, No longer in production, but found inexpensive on the used market (I've seen them on Flea-bay for $75). No longer in production, but parts like batteries, AA holders, speaker mic still available. Parts are compatable with the FT-60R.  Commercial quality. I love this radio! Both are fantastic.
For mobile setup, I've used a cheap Opek dual band mag mount. Not sure of the model #, but under $20 new at a local hamfest. Unobtrusive, to say the least!

Get the speaker mic! Saves frustration!

Karl
N7DMA
Tucson, AZ
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 06:53:39 PM by N7DMA » Logged
K8QV

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2013, 11:02:30 AM »

Well, there's always CB.
N9ZQZ

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2013, 06:38:44 PM »

I have a Kenwood TH22 AT and it has been a very simple HT to use. Kenwood no longer makes em but you can find them. I have had mine since 94 and they are easy to repair as well.

For a mobile I have tried Yeasu (FT 2800M) and my current mobile Kenwood (Tm-281) and I found the Kenwood a little easier to program and get around. I also get compliments on the sound of the Kenwood. My base ICOM IC-2350 I always have to get out the book to program the tone and memories.

Good luck!!

Jamie
N9ZQZ
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: