Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mosley or Steppir?  (Read 2525 times)
KA7MPX

Ignore
« on: March 19, 2013, 08:52:56 AM »

I currently have a Mosley PRO67C that has been on the tower and trouble free for nearly 15 years.....my question is, I am relocating to a new QTH and will be installing an new (taller) tower and I'm looking for opinions from anyone who might be using a Steppir DB36. I am considering the DB36 but would like to hear first hand from anyone that uses one. I have done all the internet research a guy can do so looking any kind of real life experience or comparison between the two antennas.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

73's
Russ
KA7MPX
"Pumping the Wattage....
Into your Cottage!!!"
W6UV

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 12:15:59 PM »

I would stick with the Mosley. If it's worked for you for 15 years, that's a proven track record. The SteppIR has moving parts (motors, copper tape) and electronics to control it -- there's more to go wrong and leave you stuck half-way between bands if something fails.
K2QB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 01:53:09 PM »

trouble free for nearly 15 years[/quote]....that says it all.
K1FPV

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2013, 02:03:14 PM »

I must agree with the 2 comments up to now! Leave well enough alone! Why change it if it ain't broke!  Wink

Bill/K1FPV
KA7MPX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2013, 03:50:47 PM »

I should have made this a bit more clear.....yes my Mosley has done a fine job for many years....BUT.......The Steppir's newer technology allows it to be resonant through all of the frequencies that is designed to work on....both the SSB and CW portions of the bands and this is where the delema starts! I work alot of 40 meters and the Mosley has a narrow area of operational bandwith on 40 where the Steppir does not.....the Steppir just appears to be better suited to all modes of operation, including 6 meters, where the Mosley does not.

Decisions....decisions......

Any way, thanks all for the replies.....I still have lots of time to think about this one

73's
Russ
KA7MPX
N4JTE

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2013, 05:39:46 PM »

Russ, I would seriously consider the stepper if only for the ability to direction change and bidirection abilities without turning the beam.
You are aware of how useful my reverable wires are and I think you would really enjoy that capability from your qth.
Also, the fine tuning on element length for max ERP is no small accomplishement at 100 feet in the air. Go for it, I'll take the Mosely, hi.
Bob
K0ZN

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2013, 09:32:35 PM »

You never get something for nothing.  Steppir's are nice, but they have many more things to go wrong, especially if you have much lightning in your area.
The Steppir will do a good job, but you have to expect more "issues" and maintenance in a system with moving parts, motors and electronics than
the fixed, passive systems of the Mosley.

If you go the Steppir route, I would STRONGLY suggest you take the Mosley down carefully, inspect it in detail, clean it, pull maintenance on it, order any
parts that need to be replaced and put it away in a condition where you can quickly/easily put it back into service.......  it is not impossible you will want to use it at some point in the future. I would not get rid of/sell it at least until you have had the Steppir for a couple of years and are sure you are happy with it.

"You pays your money and you takes your chances!"

73,  K0ZN
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 09:34:45 PM by K0ZN » Logged
NN4ZZ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2013, 04:59:30 AM »

writes... moving to a new QTH and will be installing an new (taller) tower and I'm looking for opinions from anyone who might be using a Steppir DB36.

Will the new tower be a crankup/tiltover model?  SteppIR is a great antenna but maintenance can be an issue unless you have a plan that makes it easy to reach all points on the antenna. 

Here are some resources you may want to consider in you investigation.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CrankupTiltoverTowers/

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SteppIR/

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ
KF7CG

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2013, 09:38:37 AM »

I would vote for the Mosley. I have a TA-33 (not the later "M" TA-33) that I have had for 40 years. Works as well as when I got it second hand. It is currently not in service as I don't have a tower up to hold it. Over the years though it was clean it and inspect it than put it up, use it and forget it until it was time to move again. It has survived moves all over the country and 7 years in the air without maintenance.

It isn't sexy, beautiful, or the lastest whiz bang, it just works every time and seems to withstand winds and thunderstorms well.

KF7CG
KA7NIQ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2013, 10:21:00 AM »

You never get something for nothing.  Steppir's are nice, but they have many more things to go wrong, especially if you have much lightning in your area.
The Steppir will do a good job, but you have to expect more "issues" and maintenance in a system with moving parts, motors and electronics than
the fixed, passive systems of the Mosley.

If you go the Steppir route, I would STRONGLY suggest you take the Mosley down carefully, inspect it in detail, clean it, pull maintenance on it, order any
parts that need to be replaced and put it away in a condition where you can quickly/easily put it back into service.......  it is not impossible you will want to use it at some point in the future. I would not get rid of/sell it at least until you have had the Steppir for a couple of years and are sure you are happy with it.

"You pays your money and you takes your chances!"

73,  K0ZN
Well, here in Central Florida, the Lightning Capital of the World, SteppIR's are as common as Kenwood TS 570's !
The SteppIR allows for retraction of the elements, to make it less of a Lightning Target.

My friend Jay, KG4RMD has a Hy Gain TH 6 at 72 ft, and a 4 element SteppIR at 50.

The 4 element SteppIR SMOKES the Hy Gain TH 6, that is 20 feet higher, on ALL paths.

It has been up, untouched for years, through tropical storms, and the outer bands of hurricanes.

WN2C

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2013, 07:24:04 PM »

I must agree with the 2 comments up to now! Leave well enough alone! Why change it if it ain't brokeWink

Bill/K1FPV

You may end up 'broke' buying that DB 36.  Cheesy
KH6DC

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2013, 10:50:49 AM »

If it ain't broken, don't fix it

73 and Aloha,
de Delwyn, KH6DC
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2013, 10:20:23 AM »

I have a 3 ele steppir up now for better part of 10 years and am very happy. the nice thing is you are resonant on any where in the band.  you can set it up to follow your transceiver around the bands automatically.  If you are working CW you can tune it for say 14.050 and work CW then go tune it to 14.250 and go play on a ssb net. all automatically.  if you have it on a tower, you can use  the steppir to run in or out and "tune " a sloper attached to the tower by acting as a variable capacity hat, or pull in the  elements when not in use to make  the chance of a lightning strike less. and so on.  if you work mars, yo can adjust the antenna for that frequency too.  mine goes from  the short end of 6 meters to beyond  the top end of 20 meters and ANYWHERE in between.  you can not do that with aluminum.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2013, 10:26:27 AM »

So how do they change the element spacing when you go from 6M to 20M?
AH6RR

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2013, 02:01:00 PM »

While I do not have a DB-36 SteppIR i do have a 3 element SteppIR with the 30/40M loop. It has been up for over 5 years now without a single problem and it was 1.5 years old when I got it. I did have a TA-33 and the SteppIR blows it away plus it is am mono bander on every band 20-6M but only a rotatable diploe on 30/40. I do have a friend that has a DB-36 and he has had no problems except the 80M part of the antenna but it was a easy fix. He runs barefoot and he works the world with it at 86 feet. Yes there has been a few that have had problems with the SteppIR antennas but I have yet to had any (knock on wood). And Yes you can retract the elements for when lighting is around and have a much smaller lighting rod :-).

Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: