Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Your longest wait for a QSL card.....  (Read 2017 times)
K3NRX

Ignore
« on: April 26, 2013, 04:09:33 AM »

What country/dxpedition or whatnot was your longest wait ever for a QSL CARD (NOT LOTW)......A wait that was sooo painful, that your patience ( Roll Eyes) ran out months in advance.....especially if it was for an ATNO.....For me it's a toss up between an Expeidtion to Aves Island from a few years back (before OQRS), and JX5O, which the manager fell ill for the longest time .....and then there were the ones that never arrived, which I gave up on, but fortuneately were not for ANTOs...those are many in number, and at this point, I don't really care about anymore.....What say you?....What country/dxpedition made you wait for your card the longest to the point of it driving you nuts?

V
KA3NRX

P.S. and yes, I am still waiting for ZL9HR, which prompted this post..... Angry Shocked Grin....
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013, 04:15:26 AM »

Sable Island, 1997.  My original QSL request must have gone astray, and I never got a card.  A few years later and that was still my only CY0, so I tried again to get a QSL.   I tried a number of things, and VA3NCD sent me a card for the operation in 2003--a real gentleman!  He even included a mini-CD with digital photos of Sable Island.  I think 6 years is my own longest. 
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2013, 04:54:10 AM »

My first QSL from China took about 12 months.  This was from a club station, BY4RB, that I worked in the early '90's.
Chuck  NI0C
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2013, 05:10:35 AM »

Defintely some of the "Stans" in the old Soviet Union through P O Box 88. But they did come.
W2LO

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2013, 05:39:33 AM »

I worked VS9ASP, an RAF station in Aden, now Yemen, in 1968. When the British forces left Aden shortly thereafter the logs were lost and thus I never received a QSL.

In 1990 when I returned to DXing I heard that some had indeed gotten QSLs but the logs, if they still existed, were again lost and the ops by now may be SK.

My friend in the UK, Shaun, M0BJL, was relentless in chasing down leads and after many dead ends he found one of the original ops, Roy Folgate, who was now living in Spain and had the logs.

In 2006, after 38 years, I got my VS9ASP QSL.

Never, ever, give up the chase.  

It's unfortunate that in the past many logs were thrown out after QSL managers became Silent Keys. The loss of a very, very large number of rare DX logs after the death of W2CTN, a major QSL manager of decades ago, was an especially great loss for the DX world.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 05:45:12 AM by W2LO » Logged
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2013, 07:58:35 AM »

I left the hobby around 2000 and when I got back in about 10 years later I needed QSLs going back between 10 and 20 years.  I eventually received ALL of those QSLs and in months, not years.

For the most part, my experiences with QSLs have been excellent.  I think over 90% were received within 3 months.  I'm obviously only considering direct QSLs, not via the buro.

ZL9HR is proving to be one of the most difficult to obtain.  Funny, they even have me listed as a donor on their website.  That was the first time I sent in a donation before the expedition occurred.  I think it will now be my last time.

Chris/NU1O

KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2013, 08:08:24 AM »

32 years - Canal Zone, KZ5VV, 1975

That was when I was just a rag chewer and not a DX-er. If I worked DX - it was just because someone came back to my CQ's.

I tracked the guy down - and he is AE8G in Holiday, FL - but he won't respond to written letters or email.

I've given up on getting that - but it would give me my 336th if I could snag that one. Oh well.

Anyone live near Holiday, FL?

Rich
KY6R
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2013, 08:42:25 AM »

It's unfortunate that in the past many logs were thrown out after QSL managers became Silent Keys...

REPLY: Yeah, buddy....HV3SJ comes to mind regarding that!.....Very unfortunate indeed.... Cry Sad.....
N6ORB

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2013, 11:36:33 AM »

The longest wait between time mailed until card received was 11 months for 5R8UI. At the time, it was my most distant contact, so I was really looking forward to getting it. Months after I had given up on it, it finally showed up in the mail.

Dave, N6ORB
AB8MA

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2013, 01:37:43 PM »

Mine was definitely EX8AA, KYRGYZSTAN, for a QSO on 2003-09-07. The operator became SK soon afterward.

Thanks to help here in the old Voodoo DX Catcher thread, I was able to obtain the card about a year ago, or about 9 years after the contact.
W1NK

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2013, 02:08:49 PM »

About 27 years waiting for KZ5OJ.

After trying for years to track him down, he happened to google his old call and saw my posting here on eHam asking if anyone knew what became of him.  After a couple of emails, he sent me a photocopy of his original (blank) QSL with our QSO info written in.

A long wait, but that card confirmed all my deleted countries!

Frank, W1NK
IK0OZD

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2013, 02:21:06 PM »

Surely the qsl plus wait was P51BH,
I waited for a  year,
in this time I came to think of everything,
that wasn't a log or I had dreamed the qso,
another difficulty qsl is from YV0 ,

W6OU

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2013, 10:46:36 PM »

I worked TR8JLD in 1983 and immediately sent a card to his stateside QSL manager but he returned it because he didn't have the logs yet. A few months ago I was looking through my old logs and found my notation of what happened. I tried again via the QSL manager and finally got the card 29 years later.
AF5CC

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2013, 08:39:02 PM »

6Y5NR/KP1 took me about 23 years to get.  Worked them on 15m CW in 1985.  Sent several QSLs direct to 6Y5NR with no luck.  Finally around 2008 I happened to find one of the ops on that DXpedition with a copy of the logs and some spare QSLs (thanks Google!) and he checked the QSO info and sent me one.

4S7WP took quite a while to get-around 10 years for that one.  RH0E was around 10 years as well-thanks to N8OO.

John AF5CC
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: