Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Heathkit sb-1000 VS Ameritron AL-80A  (Read 1780 times)
W4PBU

Ignore
« on: March 20, 2013, 06:44:01 AM »

Can anyone tell me what the differences are, if any, between the SB-1000 & the AL-80A amps.
I know that Ameritron sold the rights to build their amp in kit form to Heathkit but did Heath use the exact same components, ie quality, manufacturer, etc as Ameritron or were they free to do their own thing.
I am not interested in rumors or innuendo, just known FACTS.
Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Dave
W4PBU
N8NSN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 08:37:16 AM »

Of same vintage, the AL80-A and SB-1000 are the same amp.

BUT:

Depends on who built the SB-1000 and their skill level.

BUT #2:

Current Ameritron AL80-A amps built by MFJ may indeed have QC misfires.
KG6YV

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2013, 10:05:02 AM »

heat and the old Ameritron Company had an agreement that allowed Heath to offer a kit version of the AL80 with of course a Heath front panel and colors.....
N5VTU

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 02:32:12 PM »

BUT #2:

I don't believe you'll find an AL-80A built by MFJ.  The current equivalent product is an AL-80B and has some design differences from the original AL-80A units built by Ameritron prior to the MFJ acquisition.  The front panel of an AL-80A and an AL-80B are completely different.  As already pointed out, the AL-80 A and SB-1000 are the same.  My 1989 vintage AL-80A is still trucking along at full output with the original Eimac 3-500 tube.

Stephen
N5VTU
N8NSN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 04:44:32 PM »

BUT #2:

I don't believe you'll find an AL-80A built by MFJ.  The current equivalent product is an AL-80B and has some design differences from the original AL-80A units built by Ameritron prior to the MFJ acquisition.  The front panel of an AL-80A and an AL-80B are completely different.  As already pointed out, the AL-80 A and SB-1000 are the same.  My 1989 vintage AL-80A is still trucking along at full output with the original Eimac 3-500 tube.

Stephen
N5VTU

Tis True... Sorry, he didn't ask about the AL80B. ...has WARC 79 bands yadda yadda... I've heard numerous ill on the AL 80B. Never owned one so can't say much other than hear-say. Have owned both an AL80A and currently own an SB-1000. BOTH great amps.

So, back to the "depends on who built it" for the SB1000 and pre-MFJ, Ameritron company had no complaints by myself on the AL80A, but ALL companies push out a lemon from time to time.

Good point Stephen. None the less, if buying a used AL-80A ..wonder if MFJ would ever be trustworthy for ordering service parts...
N5VTU

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2013, 05:12:03 PM »

Good point Stephen. None the less, if buying a used AL-80A ..wonder if MFJ would ever be trustworthy for ordering service parts...

I don't know..the only thing I have ordered from MFJ for my AL-80A has been some replacement screws for the case.

I don't believe that MFJ actually carries replacement parts specific to the AL-80A.  I think I just got lucky in that the parts I needed for my AL-80A are shared with the current AL-80B.

Stephen
N5VTU
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2013, 09:06:09 AM »

wonder if MFJ would ever be trustworthy for ordering service parts...

I have ordered and received  several different parts for my
AL-80A just fine straight from Ameritron.

73, Ken  AD6KA
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: