Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Easter Island XR0YG  (Read 11908 times)
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2013, 10:25:40 PM »

How many active elements does his antenna have on 15 and 20 meters?  I'd rather have more elements on 15 and 20 than all those elements on 10.

Three on 20m and four on 15m.  I agree with you but perhaps all those shorter elements act as directors (albeit not perfect) for the lower frequencies.  The biggest Force 12 beam is the C49XR.  It has four elements on 20m, six on 15m, and fourteen on 10m Shocked

Jonathan W6GX
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 10:29:56 PM by KF7BBJ » Logged
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2013, 11:28:57 PM »

How many active elements does his antenna have on 15 and 20 meters?  I'd rather have more elements on 15 and 20 than all those elements on 10.

Three on 20m and four on 15m.  I agree with you but perhaps all those shorter elements act as directors (albeit not perfect) for the lower frequencies.  The biggest Force 12 beam is the C49XR.  It has four elements on 20m, six on 15m, and fourteen on 10m Shocked

Jonathan W6GX

Albeit with a 49 foot boom, right? 

The C31 can't have much more gain than our Skyhawk on 20 and 15 meters.  Also, they are squeezing 3 extra elements into just a 7 foot larger boom on 10 meters.  I don't hear many guys running them but then I don't hear many using our antenna, either.  I'll have to look at the specs on the C31 sometime.

I think the SteppIR is probably the beam with the biggest owner's group once the relatively inexpensive tribanders, like the A3S and TH33, are eliminated. I don't like the moving parts so I never considered it.  There is a lot to be said for simpler being better in this hobby.  Look at my Palstar HF-Auto which was really a luxury but my unit was a dog. The Palstar manual tuner, the AT5K, works fine and you eliminate all the circuitry which remembers the various band settings.  That applies to the auto-tune amplifiers, as well.

Chris/NU1O
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2013, 12:14:14 AM »

All I can say is I'm tickled pink with the C31XR. It plays beautifully and 15 and 20. 10 is OK. I won't be calling them on 10, however. I have Easter Island on 10 from many previous trips. I can't hear them on the only band I need them on (160). Someone asked what the attraction is to Topband. I'd have to say that it's because propagation on 160 is fickle at best, requires a lot of dedicated listening, specialized and generally large antennae and because it's not easy to DX that band. If it was as hard as 6m I probably wouldn't enjoy it as much, but because DXCC is easily achievable after a few seasons it keeps the challenge alive.

I expect 160's significantly more difficult to work DX on from the West coast of NA than on the East, and easier in Europe than in NA.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2013, 04:53:12 AM »

Just worked them on 160M. Just superb. I'm only running 300W - which is QRP for 160M.

Love 160M - easily my favorite band!

Congrats!

Just for kicks I wanted to see what the 160m rave is all about.  I went to their spotted frequency and to my surprise I could actually hear them pretty well on my tribander.  The pileup was not too big and they were all calling at about 1kc up.  I could hear a lot of static crashes which I guess is a hallmark of lowbands.  Besides the wavelength is really long what is so special about this band?  To me it sounded no different from 40m on a summer night.

Jonathan W6GX

Regarding 160M:

I use a Cushcraft MA-160V for TX with 64 buried radials. This is a top loaded and very short (36') vertical for 160M. It is very narrow banded and probably only 50 - 60% efficient. I use the K9AY Loops for RX - which are amazing for the small area they take up. Mine straddles a creek and has mulitple ground points - one - right in the creek.

I can run close to 500 watts on the 40 kc that the MA-160V is tuned to - and then my auto tuner forces me to reduce power to 300 watts outside of that 40 kc.

Why is 160M my favorite band?

Before I was a ham (when I was 10 or 11), I wrapped a wire around my AM radio and threw a good chunk of that wire out the window and ran it to a tree. I started "AM BCB DX-ing". I heard and sent away for QSL cards from WSM in Nashville, WHO in Des Moines, etc. This is when I was growing up in "Joisey".

Amateur Radio DX-ing started in and around 200 meters - so pretty much the AM radio band.

So - for me - its the vagaries of its propagation and it is very "nostalgic" for me. Makes me feel like a walking antique . . . .   Cheesy

My farthest / most exotic DX with this setup is XR0YG, VK, 9M4SLL, R1ANF, FO0, 3D2/C, etc, etc. I have heard AF and EU - and can't wait to work some of those.

CE0 is not a big deal on any other band for me - but on 160M its a big deal.

I have 45 entities on 160M, and am in no rush to complete my 9th band - for 9BDXCC, because I am enjoying each and every "catch" on top band.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 05:01:26 AM by KY6R » Logged
VK3HJ

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2013, 06:23:48 AM »

Each time I see reference to a commercially made antenna, I need to look it up to find out what it's about! I've enjoyed building all my HF antennas here.
I'm listening to XR0YG peaking on 160 m just before their sunrise. The level of activity has been low, surprisingly. About an hour ago, I made a few calls and into the log.
"Top Band" has intrigued me to the point of improving my station capability on that band, with a goal of DXCC. I am using a 60 foot vertical, top loaded with six sloping 20 foot wires and feedpoint about 9 feet above the ground, with 8 elevated quarter wave counterpoise wires. For receive I have a 4 way EWE. Interestingly, I am receiving them on my NE EWE, rather than the SE, as I had expected. At least with 160 m, we don't have to cram all our DXing into the sunspot peak, like on 10 m.
I'd like to work XR0YG on 15-10 m, but have been working during the day when those bands have been open. Over the next week, I should be able to try for them in the mornings.
What a fascinating place Easter I, or Rapa Nui, is. DXing is such a lesson in geography, and more.
73 es GL,
Luke VK3HJ
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2013, 08:21:02 AM »

Regarding 160M:

I use a Cushcraft MA-160V for TX with 64 buried radials. This is a top loaded and very short (36') vertical for 160M. It is very narrow banded and probably only 50 - 60% efficient. I use the K9AY Loops for RX - which are amazing for the small area they take up. Mine straddles a creek and has mulitple ground points - one - right in the creek.

I can run close to 500 watts on the 40 kc that the MA-160V is tuned to - and then my auto tuner forces me to reduce power to 300 watts outside of that 40 kc.

Why is 160M my favorite band?

Before I was a ham (when I was 10 or 11), I wrapped a wire around my AM radio and threw a good chunk of that wire out the window and ran it to a tree. I started "AM BCB DX-ing". I heard and sent away for QSL cards from WSM in Nashville, WHO in Des Moines, etc. This is when I was growing up in "Joisey".

Amateur Radio DX-ing started in and around 200 meters - so pretty much the AM radio band.

So - for me - its the vagaries of its propagation and it is very "nostalgic" for me. Makes me feel like a walking antique . . . .   Cheesy

My farthest / most exotic DX with this setup is XR0YG, VK, 9M4SLL, R1ANF, FO0, 3D2/C, etc, etc. I have heard AF and EU - and can't wait to work some of those.

CE0 is not a big deal on any other band for me - but on 160M its a big deal.

I have 45 entities on 160M, and am in no rush to complete my 9th band - for 9BDXCC, because I am enjoying each and every "catch" on top band.

Thanks.  Sounds very interesting.  Currently I don't even have an antenna for 80m.  It will be a while before I get into 160m.

Jonathan W6GX
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2013, 09:14:28 AM »

I heard them on 160m last night with my "beverage" on the ground pointed right at them. Honestly, if I can only hear them S2 in the Midwest I don't think they will have much luck bagging EU with their setup.

Their operating pattern seems strange to me. They will work 3 EU a JA or two then a NA station.

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
W9KEY

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2013, 09:17:42 AM »

Just for kicks I wanted to see what the 160m rave is all about.  I went to their spotted frequency and to my surprise I could actually hear them pretty well on my tribander.  The pileup was not too big and they were all calling at about 1kc up.  I could hear a lot of static crashes which I guess is a hallmark of lowbands.  Besides the wavelength is really long what is so special about this band?  To me it sounded no different from 40m on a summer night.

Jonathan W6GX

I am a 160m newbie -- but here is an interesting article

The 160-Meter Band: An Enigma Shrouded in Mystery
: http://solar.spacew.com/cq/cqmar98.pdf
by: Cary Oler and Dr. Theodore J. Cohen N4XX

Evidently it appeared in the the March and April 1998 editions of CQ Magazine...
W9KEY

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2013, 09:21:15 AM »

one other interesting note: because of the antenna challenges, 160m seems to filter out a lot of the kooks you'll find on 75 meters.  it also seems to have one of the highest percentage of LoTW users I have found...
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2013, 09:55:59 AM »

one other interesting note: because of the antenna challenges, 160m seems to filter out a lot of the kooks you'll find on 75 meters.  it also seems to have one of the highest percentage of LoTW users I have found...

Very true. Most guys on 160m are very professional.

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
W5RDW

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2013, 04:30:24 PM »

Nice 10 meter CW signal......Very good operator!

Roger White W5RDW
Murphy, TX
Ham since 1961
AB3CX

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2013, 08:48:36 PM »

I keep listening om 160M for them but I don't hear them at all, weird.  I worked TX5K on 160M and thought that there would be some similarity in signal strength for those two places here. I worked XR0YG on all the high bands for fills, but I'd really like to get them on 80 and 160M now.
W5RDW

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2013, 09:00:43 PM »

Same here. I worked TX5K just for grins on my 80M inv. V with their signals very strong (but about 8 hours later at 12:35 UTC). All I hear tonight are people calling on his transmit freq and a bunch calling down 10 or so KHz.

Roger White W5RDW
Murphy, TX
Ham since 1961
K9NW

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2013, 09:37:14 PM »

I worked TX5K on 160M and thought that there would be some similarity in signal strength for those two places....

I suspect some of that is because TX5K was able to put their 160 antenna very near the water.  That option really does not exist on CE0Y.  It's quite a bit further away too - from W9 about twice as far.

N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2013, 05:07:17 AM »

I keep listening om 160M for them but I don't hear them at all, weird.  I worked TX5K on 160M and thought that there would be some similarity in signal strength for those two places here. I worked XR0YG on all the high bands for fills, but I'd really like to get them on 80 and 160M now.

Saturday night (Sunday morning UTC) XR0YG was plenty loud on 160M. Not TX5K loud, but plenty loud for good winter copy, but, but, but: But there was very strong thunderstorm type noise for me too especially to my south. (Frowny-Face!).
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: