Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I live in a valley  (Read 3389 times)
G7DMQ

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2013, 05:43:19 PM »

As others have said, HF isn't goi g to be a problem.

Although it sounds crazy, what about a kite?

Years ago I built a box kite with 2' cells, 6' long.  Once you get it 500' in the air, the wind was constant enough that it would just stay there!  Tie it to something solid on the ground and mount an omni directional antenna on the kite with Mini8 as the feeder.

I used mine as a sort of 'sky hook'  for an HF Vertical or sloper - and it worked pretty well.

Si
KV7W

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2013, 05:57:56 AM »

You live in an awesome place for an antenna farm. If my Google Earth is right, you have fairly flat land at 2000', surrounded by hills that go up another 2-300'. The surrounding countryside is at similar elevation. Very little man made noise in the area that I can see.

On 2m-6m I would have a blast with knife-edge diffraction at your place. Just point a Yagi at the ridge lines. Instead of building a huge tower, play around with pointing your antennas up at the ridge. I think you'll find those grassy fields around your place will have great ground plane properties after it rains.

HF? Looks like you have the room for a Rhombic if you wanted.

You don't live in a hole; a hole is a small apartment in a big city full of transformers, power lines and steel.

KD8UXE

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2013, 06:44:32 AM »

I do have room to spare here I'm trying to figure out the best way to start out.With out good antenna's my new/ old radio is a big paper weight.

retired United States Army Signal Corps 25c
KV7W

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2013, 09:42:10 AM »

You have lots of options. Just a simple dipole between building would get you started. I'm sure there's some 4" aluminum irrigation pipe in your area that a vertical could be made of with full sized ground plane. Have some telephone poles dug in that will get you up about 35' - long wire. A lot of the antenna options you are probably researching are focused toward small lots with lots of noise. You don't have to compromise!   
KA4NMA

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2013, 12:16:37 PM »

Put up the longest and highest dipole and feed with ladder line.  For vhf/uhf you could try a high beam.  One my friends, Frank k4cbw lives in the mountains of NC.  To reach a repeater in the east, he would point his antenna west, at a mountain, and bounce his signal off it.

Randy ka4nma
KD8UXE

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2013, 05:34:36 PM »

ok i found this antenna in an old antenna book does any one use a sterba curtain antenna? and would it be a good one to use in this vally.

W5DXP

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2013, 05:54:31 AM »

... does any one use a sterba curtain antenna?

http://www.w8ji.com/ham_universe_curtain.htm
KD8UXE

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2013, 06:21:47 AM »

Thank's I am going to use a dipole and a yagi and if it won't work then I will try something else.

thank's and 73s

K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2013, 07:14:13 AM »

Thank's I am going to use a dipole and a yagi and if it won't work then I will try something else.

It's gonna work, and work well.  As others have mentioned even "impossible" VHF paths can work.  I easily work my buddy W5AOX 15 miles away from me on 2M and 440 simplex.  Doesn't seem all that remarkable until you consider there's a 5000 foot high mountain between us.

Perfection is the enemy of good enough.  Lots of hams would envy a dipole up 70 feet.  Put it up and have a blast.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
KD8UXE

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2013, 01:36:15 PM »

yep 6 element yagi for 2 meter and a dipole for hf.

Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: