Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Speaker for hf use  (Read 2989 times)
KP2BH

Ignore
« on: March 24, 2013, 06:36:51 AM »

Iam looking for an external speaker for my ft-950 and also for the ts 570.
checking the prices of the original speakers for each one is a no go.the price
for factory speakers is not affordable.
Some time ago it was a ham operator who was using an outdoor speaker and
said that was amazing for the sound that produce in ssb and cw and the best of all
the price was real cheap.i can recall his call letters but if anyone could tell me about
an external speaker (from radio shack or any other company) let me know.
thanks in advance.
kp2bh/ jimmy
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 06:55:01 AM »

There are several types of 'outdoor' speakers.  There are horn type, waterproof enclosure type, etc.

My suggestion--for what it's worth--is this, and I've had good results with it:  Get a comm speaker of the type that used to be used in public safety or commercial mobile installations of the 'works in a drawer' trunk mounted radio type.  Motorola and General Electric radios, in particular.  Those speakers are made to provide good mid range performance while muting the highs and lows of speech.  They work pretty well with CW tones too.

Usually you can find them on Ebay for under $10 used.  You just have to put the proper plug on the end of the wire and you've got yourself a half way decent speaker.
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 07:06:37 AM »

Quote from: KP2BH
said that was amazing for the sound that produce in ssb and cw and the best of all
the price was real cheap.i can recall his call letters but if anyone could tell me about
The Motorola Motrac metal speakers for mobile installs are excellent for communications.

I routinely find "beat up" ones at hamfests or $5. 
Clean-up, a new cord, and some fresh paint make them presentable in the radio shack.
I have one hung on my workbench, for speaker connections to radios on the workbench.
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 07:10:54 AM »

Just about any external speaker will sound better than the speaker in the radio and there is no reason to spend a lot of money. Radio Shack makes a nice external speaker (Model: 21-131) for $30.00, but I don't know if there are any Radio Shacks in the islands and if it would cost more down there.
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2013, 07:18:04 AM »

Thrift shops routinely offer speakers orphaned from defunct bookshelf stereos... The amplifier goes south but the speakers are still good. Usually cost $2 - $3 each, variety of sizes depending on what's donated that week, look for the single speaker bass reflex type with a 4 Ohm rating on the back. You won't do better for the money.

And pick up some polo shirts while you're in there......................

Never change a password on a Friday                
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2013, 07:22:39 AM »

Until you find the speaker of your dreams just do what a lot of hams do,use computer speaker(speakers) amplified or not from local thrift store,cheap and may only require a different plug.
VE3FMC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2013, 08:32:20 AM »

Iam looking for an external speaker for my ft-950 and also for the ts 570.
checking the prices of the original speakers for each one is a no go.the price
for factory speakers is not affordable.
an external speaker (from radio shack or any other company) let me know.
thanks in advance.
kp2bh/ jimmy

Jimmy if you look around you may find a Yaesu SP-2000 at a good price. I bought one for $150 shipped. Nice thing about that speaker is you can connect two rigs to it. Also has a headphone jack and some inboard filtering.

In the past I have used Hammond speakers, metal cabinets and sound great.

Any decent 4-8 ohm speaker will work. You can build a wood cabinet for a speaker, stain it, paint it black to match the FT-950.

Good Luck 73, Rick VE3FMC
K2DC

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2013, 08:46:13 AM »

Jimmy,

For the audio frequency ranges that those radios will output, almost anything will do very nicely.  Tha outboard speaker that I use with my Mark V Field is a small (4 1/2 x 6") bookshelf speaker that I bought at Radio Shack sometime in the mid-70's and it works great.  As posted before, keep an eye on thrift shops and yard sales.  Anything that will fit on the shelf will do great, and the cheaper the better.

Don, K2DC
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2013, 09:12:58 AM »

Jimmy,

For the audio frequency ranges that those radios will output, almost anything will do very nicely.  Tha outboard speaker that I use with my Mark V Field is a small (4 1/2 x 6") bookshelf speaker that I bought at Radio Shack sometime in the mid-70's and it works great.  As posted before, keep an eye on thrift shops and yard sales.  Anything that will fit on the shelf will do great, and the cheaper the better.

Don, K2DC

Those little minimus speakers were great for their size. I think there was a knockoff of them somewhere. Someone here had posted the link.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2013, 09:36:56 AM »

Jimmy:  Computer speakers were mentioned.  I have a herd of them in my shop and haven't had any kind of luck with them.  Understand, I've never dissected any to find out why they didn't work very well but I'm just trying to save you from spending a dollar on one to find out they might not work for you.

There are many sources for inexpensive speakers..... Radio Shack, eBay, etc.  Look for speakers that are fairly small.....not big box speakers which have a tendency to be 'basey.' (sic)

WN2C

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2013, 11:01:16 AM »

Check this one out: http://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-008571

Not sure if out of your price range or not but it does have nice basic styling

Rick  wn2c
K4EZD

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2013, 01:19:20 PM »

I have a Uniden ESP20 20 watt external speaker with 10 foot cable in the original box that I no longer need.  You can have it for $10 plus shipping if you want.   Smiley
N4CR

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2013, 04:34:47 PM »

Jimmy,

Don, K2DC

Those little Minimus speakers were great for their size. I think there was a knockoff of them somewhere. Someone here had posted the link.

I use a pair of Minimus 3.5 Radio Shack speakers in series. They are the size that Don is writing about above. They do sound great on HF. Also, the RS Minimus 7 speakers are every bit as good but somewhat larger. If size wasn't a consideration, I probably would have gone for those.

The both are on eBay all the time, mostly from private sellers. I've bought many in the last 10 years and never got a bad one. Don't get in a hurry and you'll get one so cheap it's a no brainer. Set yourself up for email warnings, buy it now, Minimus 7 speaker. Max $20 with shipping. When you see one at a price point you like, jump on it.

73 de N4CR, Phil

We are Coulomb of Borg. Resistance is futile. Voltage, on the other hand, has potential.
W8ATA

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2013, 08:30:20 PM »

I  picked up a  lonesome center channel speaker from a surround sound array. The center channel speaker is designed for the narrative voice from movies. From their specs they seemed to be perfect and have proven to be so for HF audio on my FT-950.  It's a Sony and I got it for $8 at a thrift store. I have since seen more of them. Look around.

Russ
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2013, 11:58:28 PM »

And.....if you have more than one rig or receiver
you want to use it with, pick up a used Serial DB9
Data Switch Box. They are usually two or 4 position.
They make a FANTASTIC receive switcher box!

It's easy to replace the connectors on the back for
speakers. PLUS the multi position switch on the front
is ALREADY wired to all those connectors on the back.
Slick.  Grin Just carefully check those wires with a DVM on
continuity before you start cutting those you don't need.

And on top of all of that.....it's metal and less likely to
be susceptible to RF in the shack. (Unlike those cheesy
plastic push button ones at Radio Shack!).
A win win situation, CHEAP, and a fun afternoon project.
GL ES 73, Ken  AD6KA
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: