Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Speaker for hf use  (Read 3450 times)
K4JJL

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2013, 07:38:13 AM »

I  picked up a  lonesome center channel speaker from a surround sound array. The center channel speaker is designed for the narrative voice from movies. From their specs they seemed to be perfect and have proven to be so for HF audio on my FT-950.  It's a Sony and I got it for $8 at a thrift store. I have since seen more of them. Look around.

Russ

One of my friends has this same setup, although he has a Kenwood center channel speaker.  Looks nice on the shelf.  Sounds amazing!  With I had thought of this before buying a Yaesu SP-8...
ALCO141

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2013, 09:16:33 AM »

just bought a pair of powered computer speakers they have improved my ability to listen, think they were 15.00 at the local walmart.

alex
KP2BH

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2013, 10:59:05 AM »

Thanks to all for the ideas. ill be checking the local stores to see what they have.
i been checking ebay and they have a good ones and good prices but must of them
dont send to the virgin islands and if they send they consider us international so the shipping
is way high.. international( hour postal service is the same one as in the mainland and the same prices)
but we are consider international,wow that's life.

thank you all
73's de jimmy
KD0NFY

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2013, 09:54:06 AM »

I  picked up a  lonesome center channel speaker from a surround sound array. The center channel speaker is designed for the narrative voice from movies. From their specs they seemed to be perfect and have proven to be so for HF audio on my FT-950.  It's a Sony and I got it for $8 at a thrift store. I have since seen more of them. Look around.

Russ

That's a great idea. 
K2GWK

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2013, 08:30:04 PM »

Just note the efficiency of the speaker. Some speakers need more power to make them function. Try to look for a speaker with as high an efficiency as you can.

Guy
Lawn Guyland, New York

K2GWK Website
NA0AA

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2013, 08:49:48 AM »

The truth is that nearly any speaker will sound better than the one in the rig!

Full range bookshelfs as noted are a good choice if it's efficient enough to be driven by your radio.

I bought a bunch of 5" dia. big-magnet general purpose speakers from a local electronics parts supply and built a wood cabinet to house them - they work well for me, but I've also used the MFJ $12 'clear tone' speakers which are surprisingly good for the price, and are ideal for mobile use.

The matching speakers do look nice but IMHO they are way too expensive.

KX8N

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2013, 06:48:53 PM »

By now you've probably already bought something, but I was going to suggest looking around yard sales. I'm sure you could find something REALLY cheap there. Like everyone said, though, just about anything will do. I'd get something from an old stereo if I had a choice.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: