Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yaesu FT-2900R TX problems  (Read 1540 times)
KD8UEG

Ignore
« on: March 24, 2013, 07:26:08 AM »

I have a new Yaesu FT-2900R that has stopped working.  I took it out of the box and used it about 5 min before it stopped transmitting.  I have it hooked up to a Astron VS-20M and when transmitting the amp meeter doesn't move.  At first I suspected the PS and connected to my truck and it still doesn't TX.  I have done the factory reset on it to make sure it wasn't something I changed in the settings.  I'm using an Arrow 146-4S and 30ft of LMR-240 and can't get into the local repeater which I can see the tower from my driveway.  A fellow ham told me it could be the finals in the radio are bad, but I would expect better quality from Yaesu.  Any advice or methods to test it would be appreciated.

Steven KD8UEG
K9YLI

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 07:38:40 AM »

can you listen to it with another radio close by..
if the finals are bad  you should hear it  with in a few feet.

check the output with a watt meter  , but since the  amp meter doesnt show  current change it likely  isnt  transmitting  effectively.
set it on lowest power.. does it work the..??
and  you said it was new..

send it back on warranty.....   and  triple check  your antenna set up..
you may have transmitted into an open  line  or a dead shorted line.
KA4POL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 08:34:47 AM »

We could use a bit more information.
Is your observation independent of the output power setting? Do you have an SWR indicator, if so, what SWR does it show? If possible you should try it with a dummy load.
The radio has a time out feature built in also. It switches the radio to receive after a defined time.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 08:41:13 AM by KA4POL » Logged
KD8GEH

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 08:48:28 AM »

Hi,

Were yoad a antenna uu dinkng with the menus? You may have turned off the xmit.  its in the set menu.  new rig sould not blow PA's unless you have ant issue. lok a little closer.

73  Dave
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2013, 09:11:15 AM »

Quote from: KD8UEG
I have a new Yaesu FT-2900R that has stopped working.  
Steven --

Life is too short, AND this radio is UNDER WARRANTY (if bought new from Yaesu dealer).
CALL your Yaesu dealer, informing them dead.
Pack up everything and return to that Yaesu dealer you purchased radio from.
Quote from: KD8EUG
I would expect better quality from Yaesu.  Any advice or methods to test it would be appreciated.
For modern electronics, and complex technology systems -- failures most common in first minutes of operation.  Quality Assurance eliminates most of these -- but not all.

FOR NOOBIES:  
KEEP original shipping box, manuals, included accessories,
 and all packaging materials until after warranty period has expired on the radio!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 09:15:10 AM by W9GB » Logged
KD8UEG

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2013, 12:51:51 PM »

Thanks to all who replied to my original post.  I sent the radio back to HRO and they said they couldn't find anything wrong with it and sent it right back to me.  It works perfectly for 5-10 minutes then it stops transmitting, no power reading on my power meter.  Seems to shutdown sooner if i run it on high power.  SWR is nearly a 1:1 match, no more then 1.2:1.  I'm wondering if HRO really did check it out or just plugged it up and ran it for a few minutes and sent it back Huh .  Has anyone had any luck dealing with Yaesu service department?  When I send it back to HRO its on my dime (and not cheap), does Yaesu cover postage for warranty repairs?  This is definitely my first and last HRO purchase and possibly my last Yaesu purchase if this doesn't get resolved...
KD8GEH

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2013, 08:14:13 PM »

I have one no issues. Have you checked the SWR on the antenna?

All else fails, go direct to Yeasu. Might me the PA or thermail ciruit.

All the best and 73

Dave KD8GEH
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2013, 04:55:08 AM »

Thanks to all who replied to my original post.  I sent the radio back to HRO and they said they couldn't find anything wrong with it and sent it right back to me.  It works perfectly for 5-10 minutes then it stops transmitting, no power reading on my power meter.  Seems to shutdown sooner if i run it on high power.  SWR is nearly a 1:1 match, no more then 1.2:1.  I'm wondering if HRO really did check it out or just plugged it up and ran it for a few minutes and sent it back Huh .  Has anyone had any luck dealing with Yaesu service department?  When I send it back to HRO its on my dime (and not cheap), does Yaesu cover postage for warranty repairs?  This is definitely my first and last HRO purchase and possibly my last Yaesu purchase if this doesn't get resolved...

I can guarantee you they tried it and tested it. It is a company policy to do that.
AD4U

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2013, 05:48:50 AM »

Contact HRO again and be specific that the problem only shows up after 15 minutes or so of use.  If they tell you to send it back, include a written summary of the problem so the tech can try to duplicate your problem.

Dick  AD4U
WA3SKN

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2013, 11:44:36 AM »

What do you get when transmitting into a known good dummy load?

-Mike.
WB8VLC

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2013, 12:59:39 PM »

The manual is very contradicting, on page 9 it mentions around 11 amps required for tx but in the spec section on page 2 it says 15 amps high power transmit but then again on page 9 it recommends using either the yaesu 23 or 30 amp power supplies or comparable supplies.

I would er on the high side and use a power supply capable of 25 amps continuous duty or more for that radio operating on hi power.

The Astron supply you have is at best capable of 16 amps and only 20 amps for very short transmissions.

The easiest test to see if your power supply is folding back due to over current is to run the radio on the next lowest power setting and see if the output power folds back.

I would bet HRO used a 35 amp supply to test your returned radio and this is why they never saw the problem.

I have had many radios that simply cut back their output power but did not reset under lowering DC input voltage and this sounds like what is occuring with your radio.

WB8VLC

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2013, 04:31:45 PM »

And I obviously didn't read it clearly either before I posted so sorry for any confusion.

I guess it's probably good not to read the Elmer posting when youre tired.

You mentioned it did TX fine at first then stopped after that but still I know that HRO is thorough in testing radios returned as I have been there personally with them but fortunately I'm only 40 minutes away so I can personally watch them test questionable products.

Have you checked your power supply to confirm it can supply the proper load current, and does the radio TX at all on low power and does the VS20 current meter indicate anything on low power?

Also the VS20 has adjustable current limiting and have you checked to make sure that it is set to maximum for your application, but even here I would still check TX on mid or low power as 75 watts is probably still to much for that supply.

And in your mobile tests did you have it connected directly to the battery and set to low power and not high power ?

Also I wouldn't even try troubleshooting over a repeater, there are just to many things go wrong in a new radio setup such as having an incorrect CTCSS setup, you could have the receive CTCSS on while the TX CTSSS is set off etc, simplex testing is the easiest way to test things out when troubleshooting.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 04:36:57 PM by WB8VLC » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: