Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Scam  (Read 8823 times)
W5CPT

Ignore
« on: March 24, 2013, 11:01:54 AM »

I posted an item for sale here and on QRZ and got an odd email (shown below) . It contained a link, that when clicked opened a Log In screen made to look like a QRZ log in (I did not log in). Had I done so the scammer would have been able to compromise my QRZ account.

I checked the email address of the call sign and it is not the address listed in the email.

I replied to the email address given and have gotten no reply.
I also sent email to the real W4AVY and he sent back that he is aware of the activity.

Clint - W5CPT -

email is as below:
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><>
Mar 22 (2 days ago)

Robert G Crane w4avy XX rocketmail.com
to w5cpt

Hey mate,

I'm interested ?, You can click on the below link and let me know if this is exact what you are selling

{Here was the Bogus Link} (I was not able to display it without it being a clickable link.)

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><>
N2MG
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 06:03:08 AM »

The scammers have definitely discovered ham radio websites.  eHam, QRZ and QTH.COM are all "under attack".  We have increased the security significantly here in the past few days, displaying IP addresses, etc. 

Still, extreme vigilance needs to be with you, the site users.  Be very careful with whom you are dealing.

Mike N2MG
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 06:28:45 PM »

This scum, as all internet vermin, deserve to be buried to the neck, and have regular folk tee off with a Big Bertha to their left ear..
N6YW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013, 08:34:29 AM »

I got an email response through Eham this morning for an item I have for sale and replied back through the system. I got a permanent failure reply from my email provider. I tried it again and the got the same result. I checked the persons callsign and saw that they don't have an email address provided on the QRZ page. I copied the original email address into a new email reply and the same thing happened, but what I found was a different email address that failed. Evidently, it's cross linked somehow and makes me think this is a hacked email from a nonexistent address.
What a pain in the ass.
Billy N6YW
VE3FMC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013, 09:52:46 AM »

This scum, as all internet vermin, deserve to be buried to the neck, and have regular folk tee off with a Big Bertha to their left ear..

Big Bertha's are old. Get a new 460 CC driver, it will produce a more solid strike! Grin
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2013, 04:09:08 AM »

Monty Burns:  "Dash it all, man, use an open-faced club!  A sand wedge!"

Homer Simpson:  "Uuuuum .. open-faced club sandwedge ... [drool]"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: