Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Extra Women? :)  (Read 5719 times)
KK4APV

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2013, 06:52:05 AM »

Hi Rose:  Congrats on getting your Extra ticket! 

I suspect that these two "Old Ham Guys" might be just a bit smarter than everyone is taking them for.

Most "Old Guys" like me for example, knows that there is no faster way to get a woman to do something than telling her "she can't do that because she's a woman!"

Sadly, in the case of one of the Old Ham Guys, he actually humiliated me in front of several other hams. We were talking about the General Tests and I said that I had to do some serious studying to pass that one, but that'd I'd only missed one question on the test (and frankly, I was proud of that achievement).

The OHG started laughing and said, "You had to *study* for the General test? Good grief, it was so simple! If you had to study for that one, you'd better not even try for the Extra!"

And then he laughed again and looked around at his buds, who fortunately, were not participating in the "joke."

This was at the tail-end of a club meeting. When we walked back to our car, my male friend looked over at me and said, "What a complete jackass."

He was as disgusted as I was.

K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2013, 09:49:45 AM »

APV:  Thank you "Paul Harvey" for the rest of the story!  I now agree with you and the others that these guys were jackasses! 

Now this:

I suppose a woman should be telling you this. But that comment is not only stereotypical but sexist.

Now ask me if I care!  I'm not a "political correctness participant."  All we need now is a little touchy-feely comments here.  Scheesch!
N3DF

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2013, 10:16:53 AM »

Will we be hearing you on the Extra class cw bands?

Neil N3DF
KD8TUT

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2013, 10:49:06 AM »

APV:  Thank you "Paul Harvey" for the rest of the story!  I now agree with you and the others that these guys were jackasses!  

Now this:

I suppose a woman should be telling you this. But that comment is not only stereotypical but sexist.

Now ask me if I care!  I'm not a "political correctness participant."  All we need now is a little touchy-feely comments here.  Scheesch!

There's a difference between political correctness and holding views that were abandoned in 1959.

It's funny how everyone from sexists, racists, or other backwards and sadly outmoded people seem to retort with "I'm not politically correct". You aren't politically correct. Or any other kind of correct.

You're just wrong.
KK4APV

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2013, 11:03:33 AM »

Struggling to learn morse code as we speak.  Smiley  I'm a very visual learner and have a wonderful visual memory. That's why I'm good in my unique niche career.

Audio - ooh - not so sure about that, but I'm doing the work.
KG6AF

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2013, 11:50:25 AM »

Struggling to learn morse code as we speak.  Smiley  I'm a very visual learner and have a wonderful visual memory. That's why I'm good in my unique niche career.

You probably already know this, but just in case: resist the temptation to call upon your visual memory to memorize Morse.  I had a friend who tried to learn code from flash cards on which he'd drawn dots and dashes for each letter.  He was able to hit 5 WPM, but his need to mentally translate audio into that dot-and-dash image while he was copying got in the way of increasing his speed.  Stick with audio.

Good luck with Morse.  Learning it is painful, but when you get to that point where you're copying off the air, it's really kind of cool.
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2013, 12:32:12 PM »

I think one way to see how many ladies are on the air is to tune through the extra part of the bands in a domestic contest on SSB , or even one like this weekend, a dx contest, and listen in the extra part of the bands and see how many YL's you hear.  There are many ladies on the air, and most are quite knowledgeable.
N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2013, 02:14:40 PM »

Congratulations Rose, love your story.  It brightens my day to see bigots put in their place.  I also look forward to your QST article.
W8AAZ

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2013, 06:25:44 PM »

Do they still have YL nets on HF?  And QST used to have monthly columns of YL operators and stories with pictures, activities, etc.  So they got rid of that, was it considered to be somehow incorrect to showcase YL activities?  I would have thought it would be encouraging to women that felt they were the only female hams in their area, or such. Or open the eyes of guys that thought it was all a male hobby.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2013, 10:03:37 AM »

AAZ: 
And QST used to have monthly columns of YL operators and stories with pictures, activities, etc.  So they got rid of that, was it considered to be somehow incorrect to showcase YL activities?  I would have thought it would be encouraging to women that felt they were the only female hams in their area, or such. Or open the eyes of guys that thought it was all a male hobby. 

No doubt some elitist considered this "sexist" and filed a complaint with ARRL. 
N3ZJ

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2013, 03:14:47 PM »

Congratulations! I encourage you to write the QST article...a great idea!

Jim N3ZJ
KJ6ZOL

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2013, 09:01:25 PM »

And then in TWO separate instances, a couple "Old Ham Guys" told me - specifically - that I shouldn't bother with moving up from General because the Extra exam would be way too difficult for "someone like me."

That just really ticked me off, so I immediately started studying for my Extra!   Tongue

Saturday, I got my Extra (only missed four), and I am a happy, happy girl.

Excellent!  By studying and passing the test, you came up with the best possible response to their comments.  Now you're an Extra, and they're still nitwits.

I don't know if this is something you're interested in, but have you considered becoming a volunteer examiner?  I think it's helpful for girls and women taking exams to see women VEs at testing sessions.

When I took my General exam in El Dorado Hills, CA (Sacramento suburb), there was a female VE. She was the one who kept trying to calm me down, I was nervous since my mom had driven me up from Sacramento in rush hour traffic so I could take the test, and I REALLY wanted to pass. The traffic was horrible.
WN2C

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2013, 01:57:23 AM »

Rose, congrats on on passing the General and working on the code.  As others have said, don't do it visually, do it by sound.  Learn each letter at the fastest sound (say 18 to 20 wpm) and you will be copying that in no time.  It is called the Farnsworth method.  Once you have all the letters down, try copying in your head.  Just close your eyes and you will start to see the words forming.  Now on to something else;
I challenge you to have the Extra passed by by this time in April or at least by the end of.  What do you think?  Can you do it?   

Rick  wn2c 
NR4C

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2013, 07:12:11 AM »

We have (had) several women members with Amateur Extra licenses in one of the clubs i belong to.  They have been more or less active then their husbands (aoso Extras), usually due to work and family commitments.  One or two have been active in our Amateur Exam activities with W5YI and one of those is still the local VE leader.

in my experience, no "Old Ham Guy" in any way attempted to defer any of them from getting their license, more the opposite.

One of our families (both Extras) have inspired their two grand-children to gain their General tickets, and they will surely go for the Extra when we have enough attendees to hold another Extra Class.  The oldest, a teenage girl, has started a Radio Club in her High School.

"The surest way to get a woman to do something is to tell her she can't!"

...bill  nr4c
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2013, 08:34:13 AM »

"The surest way to get a woman to do something is to tell her she can't!"

Roll Eyes   Bend over and give thanks for what you're about to receive!
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: