Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: eHam forums vs. QRZ forums  (Read 18221 times)
KCJ9091

Ignore
« on: March 24, 2013, 01:26:54 PM »

I used to think the quality of the members on this one was far above that of the other.  It is not.
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 01:58:03 PM »

Is there something specific that made you feel that way?  I look at the QRZ forums now and then, but it seems to me there's more arguing there, more heated opinion ...   heck, *I* get that way over there now and then.

eham to me has always seemed much friendlier, more laid-back, more like a social gathering ...   Did somebody say something nasty?  It DOES happen now and then, we're all human.
KE7EYX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 03:04:34 PM »

I like eham much better for asking general Questions, opinions/ advice as get good answers. People on QRZ tend to some times take a long time to answer a question or pour gas on the fire an go at one an others throats.

Eham - Discussions an advice
QRZ - snoop/ hunt for new toys

But hey everyone is different an has different opinions on what site they like better
KE4VVF

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 10:29:49 PM »

I read both.  The overall layout of eHam.net forum appeals to me more than QRZ's.  I can go straight to the subjects that interest me like QRP, VHF/UHF and Mobile. 

I generally visit eHam.net forum daily.  QRZ forum is read weekly, at best. 
KB0OXD

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 12:10:48 AM »

FWIW.....I've always found the eHam boards to be more technically-oriented while the QRZ boards OTOH are also technically-oriented also leave a little room to have some fun (Rag Chew Central is great for this)

Sure some of us have spats on there but the arguments usually don't last long before one of the Grand Poo Bahs puts the KA-BOSH on things to restore order Grin

Honestly, I like hanging out on both boards Smiley

Cheers & 73 Grin

Pat Cook, KB0OXD
Englewood, CO
WEBSITE | TWITTER | FACEBOOK | APRS TRACKER
N2MG
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 06:14:00 AM »

I used to think the quality of the members on this one was far above that of the other.  It is not.

Assuming you are basing your assessment of the quality of eHam's members on the quality of the posts in the forums...it's funny... I hear both that eHam is much better because it's less heavily moderated and that eHam sucks because it's too highly moderated.

And, ahem, we do allow pseudo-anonymous posting here, don't we? ;-)

Anyway...

There's a "Report to moderator" link in EVERY post.  We have no full-time (hell, not even part-time) moderators.  If we get complaints about a post we take a look.  Sometimes we delete, and when it's recurring we ping the perpetrator.

Other times we ignore the "reporter" because his posts are just as bad as the reported post.

Mike N2MG
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 06:49:40 AM by N2MG » Logged
W5CPT

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2013, 06:41:04 AM »

There's a "Report to moderator" link in EVERY post. 

I used this utility to report the original poster of this thread, in another thread, when he became belligerent and profane.

Clint - W5CPT -
W4CNG

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2013, 01:17:32 PM »

I like and prefer eHam.  I read here lots and have written articles here many times in the past.  I do read QRZ from time to time but have never written an article for them.  My preference is eHam.
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2013, 02:17:33 PM »

I used to think the quality of the members on this one was far above that of the other.  It is not.
I like both, with a small bent towards QRZ.  There seems to be more moderation police, (moderation police being defined as: Self appointed moderators, without the owners being aware they are "helping"),  here on eHam than on QRZ, they change the user experience here quite a bit...
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 02:20:13 PM by NK7Z » Logged

Thanks,
Dave
For reviews and setups see: http://www.nk7z.net
N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2013, 02:34:36 PM »

You'll find clowns on any forum, but eHAM seems to have fewer than the other sites.  I am occasionally disheartened by the way experts are treated by a few whose knowledge does not match their egos.  For example, it's sad that an antenna and amplifier expert rarely posts anymore, because doing so seems to bring out critics who are not encumbered by reason or science.  That's got to be frustrating.  Luckily that is not the norm and one can learn a lot here. 
KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2013, 03:46:11 PM »

at least we have generally been introduced to high-quality websites by some of the more erudite posters.  I certainly have one in mind...
KD8TUT

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2013, 08:44:07 PM »

No preference I enjoy reading both.

But I wish the QRZ read/unread tracking worked better. Sometimes it shows no new posts when I can see new posts in the threads.

Other than that- it's kind of a wash. And that's a positive for me.
W2TXB

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2013, 04:24:00 PM »

Both are OK, as both have their pro and con. I tend to not have a favorite between the two sites, as I post in and read from both and find the information to be (often) useful.

It's all good.
VE3FMC

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2013, 06:19:45 AM »

I used to think the quality of the members on this one was far above that of the other.  It is not.

Hmmmmmmmm, you have no call sign or if you do you are hiding it.

I have been hanging around both forums for a few years now and in my opinion there is far less arguing and hatred on eHam than there is on QRZ. I see some pretty heated threads on the Z, and see some people going back and forth at each other and it makes me shake my head.

Now with that said, I think you sir are a troll. You post a comment, have no call sign to back yourself up and then you have not made any further comments as to why you feel the quality of the members are better over on QRZ.

JMO, others may vary.

Rick VE3FMC
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2013, 10:00:21 AM »

I prefer e-ham for many reasons.  The other forum is more tightly 'controlled' for lack of a better word--moderated doesn't fit there--and the lack of really honest opinions stem from that.  I've heard of deletion of information because of complaints from advertisers on the other board, something that is rarely done here--just look at the reviews section to see that.

Also, even though this site allows handles instead of callsigns, there has been less and less baloney from those so identified, simply because the majority of users here simply ignore the more abrasive rants of those 'handles'.  They have no audience here, so they go elsewhere, and the resulting quieting of the forum here makes it much better for serious discussion.  73!
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: