Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: dayton hamvention forums  (Read 19055 times)
KA2FHN

Ignore
« on: March 24, 2013, 07:33:42 PM »

Going to Dayton for the first time this year.
I will be attending a few of the forums.

Therefore, I was wondering how soon I should arrive at the meeting room in order to get a seat..??

I realize some are quite popular, and are standing room only!

Any feedback would be helpful..Thanks

KA2FHN..BILL
K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 07:08:12 AM »

The need to arrive early varies from forum to forum.  But two yearly presentations, Antennas, and the DX forums get big attendances.  Also consider that rooms may have a preceding forum going on so even if you get there early, you'll most likely need to wait in the hallway.

You're going to have fun.  Bring money!
KA2FHN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 09:49:52 AM »

Thanks.. I'll be attending the ARRL forums so I suppose i'll be waiting regardless. Looking to learn something from all attended.
Can't wait to go....BILL KA2FHN
KD4EBL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 12:30:04 PM »

The Ham Nation forum was also packed last year as well.
KA2FHN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 01:59:09 PM »

How early did you have to get there to get a seat??..With so many good topics its hard to choose!!...Bill KA2FHN
WA2ONH

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 03:44:53 PM »

Here's another Dayton guide from KE9V to consider....

LINK: http://ke9v.net/articles/dayton-survival-guide.html

73 de WA2ONH   ...Charlie
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
"No time is ever wasted that is spent LEARNING something!"
MISTAKES are proof that you are TRYING
K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2013, 07:56:28 PM »

If you give yourself 20 minutes, you should be able to get a seat in most of the forums.  Hint...Late Friday afternoon is great for inside shopping.  Saturday is crazy inside, especially if the weather outside is bad.  Do not take big purchases with you, or you will be subject to OH sales tax.  Instead, order the item and have it shipped to you home.  Your card will be charged off site, and free of sales tax.  Many smaller purchases will have a "tax included" flat price, and of course tailgaters are tax exempt.  See you there!
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 08:05:56 PM by K3GM » Logged
KA2FHN

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2013, 07:49:13 PM »

Thanks for the replys..I have read the survival guide and have learned much from it...Does anyone know if you are allowed to bring in a lunch or some snacks..or do I have to eat Hara chow??

The tip about buying and then shipping was excellent..I never would have known that...Thanks BILL KA2FHN
K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2013, 07:59:12 PM »

Anything you want to bring in is fine.  If you tailgate, food storage is easy. if you park across the street in the field, it's just a matter of walking over to unload goodies, and take a load off for a few minutes.  It's highly advisable to bring a few bottles of water with you, although you'll find tailgaters selling water for a buck or so.  Area schools have chow wagons set up, and I think everyone from one time or another have had their charcoal grilled brats and kielbasa.  It wouldn't be Hamvention without the smell of smoldering charcoal hanging heavy in the morning air, and a few brats hanging around your beltline.

If you go out with a couple of friends, tailgating becomes a cheap alternative to riding the bus or parking across the street.  You get a parking spot inside the fleamaket, have an opportunity to sell the excess shack stuff, and a good resting point to just sit and watch the sights for a while.  We take turns minding the "store".  Somebody out of the three or four of us is always ready to flop for  a half hour or so, and perhaps take a short siesta to recharge for more shopping.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 08:05:29 PM by K3GM » Logged
KE7FD

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2013, 09:29:07 AM »

You might want to carry a pair of disposable wading boots too.  A couple of years ago, the sewer line erupted in the flea market area causing no small exodus caused by the "waters", a kind of a parting of the sea of people, if you follow my drift.  There's a large concession stand inside but if you carry a small back pack or book bag as some guys do, you can carry some frozen water bottles that will serve you very well as the day wears on.  Carry your wallet in your front pocket.  I've seen some guys even carry a small collapsable (tri-pod) seat though there's usually plenty of seating to rest weary bones and feet in the main auditorium.  Bring a small camera to take pictures of some of the stranger sights which folks back home would not otherwise believe; tales of lore from Hamvention!
BA4TB

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2013, 07:33:05 AM »

Will go to Dayton for the first time this year!

Dale BA4TB
K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2013, 03:25:04 PM »

Hope you have a great time, Dale.  If we can answer any questions for you, don't hesitate to ask.
DWEBB5

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2013, 03:00:02 PM »

I am going. FINALLY going to take an exam. 
I signed up.
One-Day Technician Class Amateur Radio License Course At Hamvention
BA4TB

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2013, 07:26:08 AM »

Hope you have a great time, Dale.  If we can answer any questions for you, don't hesitate to ask.
Thanks,look forward to seeing you there!

Dale BA4TB

http://www.ba4tb.qth.com
W8AAZ

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2013, 05:39:42 PM »

Nah, I would not bring waders to Dayton.  That sewer problem a couple years ago was the only time I have seen that happen since say, 1974. So what are the odds? Now it may rain, and some of the parking areas may be muddy from that, so perhaps do not wear your best dress shoes. Bring shoes that will be comfortable for standing and waking all day long.  You will thank me later.  Bring an umbrella that is handy size and also excellent sun protection. Use one as the situation warrants. Bring money. only cash works in flea markets.  Try to take care of "Nature's necessities" as much as possible before arriving.  The bathroom facilities are always insufficient and become more and more nasty.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: