Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Any New Antennas Planned for DX-ing?  (Read 2688 times)
KY6R

Ignore
« on: March 25, 2013, 04:53:58 AM »

While waiting for the next ATNO - its antenna time again. Luckily, I can work on antennas year round here.

I've got two projects on the drawing board:

I've designed a combination Moxon - Yagi on a 3" boom. Best bands will be 20 - 17 - 15, with "decent enough" gain on 12 and 10M. All insulated elements, and my brother - who owns a very high end CNC machine shop will help with some of the hardware.

I'm adding a second 160M vertical - 20' away from the first one. These are short, top loaded (coil and top hat) verticals, and adding the second one improves my transmit efficiency from 50% to about 85%. They share the same 64 buried radial system. The idea comes from the ARRL 160M Antenna book - a pretty cool little book indeed.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 05:03:21 AM by KY6R » Logged
KF7CSO

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 05:28:39 AM »

Before the year is up, a crank-up tower, a Tennadyne T-8 LPDA, and maybe a rotatable 40 meter dipole above that.

I also plan on continuing to play with Moxons on my portable mast set-up. Oh, and a beverage or two.

Eric
K4JK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 05:29:21 AM »

I'm moving to a new QTH next month with 11 acres of land and lots of trees. Right now I'm thinking I'll build an easily re-oriented Cebik-style lazy H to start out and then figure out the best way to get up something like a Hexbeam. I'm really interested in wire gain antennas right now and I should have plenty of room to play around with.

I also want to get into 80 and 160 meter DXing so I'll probably add something for those bands during next fall.

I'm also really tempted to purchase a KPA500.

ex W4HFK
N2RJ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 07:06:57 AM »

Looking to repair the MonstIR this spring or summer.

Possibly add another antenna on the tower for 2nd radio use.

Need to re-string my Beverages. Fallen trees have taken their toll.

Maybe my 4 square will go up this year?
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 07:28:10 AM »

Dang Ryan! That's an ambitious summer.

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
VK3HJ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 08:12:33 AM »

I've been thinking about a Moxon or similar reduced size 2 el yagi for 40 and 30 m, but that would need it's own tower. Presently I run a large doublet (520') and a 40 m Bobtail Curtain, and I do ok with those for 80, 40 and 30 m.
A brief study of multiband beams suggests that to improve on my 5-band Hex Beam would require something huge - too big for my light crank up lattice mast. I would not want to cut back to just a tri-band beam.
With winter coming up, it is a good time to work on station improvements. The bands just turn to crap from around June to August here. Might be a good time to play on the 630 m band.
Luke VK3HJ
N2RJ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2013, 08:13:11 AM »

Dang Ryan! That's an ambitious summer.

LOL, yes. How much of that gets done will probably be half that... I can see the repair and the 4sq going up.
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2013, 08:17:03 AM »

Pretty sure that time has come in this boy's life to set DXing aside to focus on other things, but we'll see. I'll make sure to put something up for Heard anyway.

Looks like I'm going back into apartment living soon, but it would be fun to try more of my tiny antenna ideas "in the field" with daily use.

I might start to do something different, though, like QRP digital.

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2013, 08:40:49 AM »

Grin I may put a little wax on my S-9 vertical. Grin (Protection against Fla. sunshine)

(and save all that money Cheesy)

73, Gene AF3Y
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2013, 10:59:04 AM »

Figuring on a triangle or square of short 160M receive antennas and phasing in the shack.
W1NK

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2013, 12:33:56 PM »

After restringing and retuning my fallen 2 ele 15M inverted-V "beam" (inspired by KY6R and his K1WA arrays) and seeing (ok, hearing) some really nice F/B, I'm tempted to string one up for Heard.  Although now Rich mentions his Moxon and gets my mind working again  Smiley

Maybe a 160M Inverted L if I can get the tree guy back to clean up the tree that took out the inverted V array.  Who know, if I get real ambitious, perhaps I'll figure out a way to get a tribander in the trees Cheesy

Frank, W1NK
K1ZJH

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2013, 12:56:41 PM »

I have my 160 and 80 meter inverted L antennas strung up and tied off, this summer I need to do the coax connections and final trimming for best SWR; and most importantly, some sort of modest radial field.

The Reyco 30 meter traps are back in production, so I will able get my 40 and 30 meter dipole back up in the air as well.

Pete
AF5CC

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2013, 07:39:55 PM »

I have a Cushcraft MA5B sitting in the shed.  Now to just get a bigger rotor and get it up!

John AF5CC
KF7CSO

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2013, 07:53:11 PM »

Grin I may put a little wax on my S-9 vertical. Grin (Protection against Fla. sunshine)

(and save all that money Cheesy)

73, Gene AF3Y

Makes me want to live by a stinky ol' brackish swamp instead of a rock hard dry desert.  Wink

Eric
WD4ELG

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2013, 08:20:26 PM »

I was looking at one of those Sturba curtain wire antennas with 15dBi gain on 10 meters, but no way to rotate it and with the sunspots not looking too promising...

I might try to do some sort of wire beam inverted L yagi for 40 meters, pointed towards Heard Island in the hope that this gives me a leg up and increases my probability.  Hex beam might not make it for 20-10.  Try to get that together and up before September.

Was also considering some sort of moxon for 15 meters by Memorial Day.  But probably same perf as the hex., unless it's a three element.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: