Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Any New Antennas Planned for DX-ing?  (Read 2578 times)
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2013, 08:37:19 AM »

Like Tim, N3QE, I have plans to improve my Rx capability on the low bands.  Because of the constraints of my suburban backyard lot, whatever I do will have to be very small.

Chuck. NI0C
KH6DC

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2013, 05:08:03 PM »

Add more ground radials.  Right now I have 9 and short term plan is to get at least 12.  Looking to get 32 by summer.  Maybe a hex on a portable tripod for the Wake ISland dxpedition.

73 and Aloha,
de Delwyn, KH6DC
K1ZJH

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2013, 06:31:03 PM »

Like Tim, N3QE, I have plans to improve my Rx capability on the low bands.  Because of the constraints of my suburban backyard lot, whatever I do will have to be very small.

Chuck. NI0C

What are you planning?  I have my inverted L antennas almost finished, but RX is another can of worms.

Pete
K6EK

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2013, 05:48:27 AM »

'Tis the season alrighty.. I'll be raising the mast on a new Hex Beam to 35 feet, adding more radials to the Butternut vertical (now at 18, going for 32) and I really need to get my 40 meter dipole back up -

Ken - K6EK
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2013, 07:23:03 AM »

On my quarter-acre lot there's not much more I can do other than go significantly higher, which I can't really afford. No space for Beverages, my K9AY is in one corner, an inverted-L for 160 over top of the driveway, tower in the middle. About all I could do would be a vertical in the furthest corner of the yard, but I can't see to what end. I already hear as well as possible on 80 given local noise levels, and can work everything I hear, plus I'm an alligator on 160--and I don't see a way of improving my 160 RX, but I'm sure open to ideas on that front. I've got a reliable range of about 4000 miles on 160. Anything beyond that and it's a crapshoot and relies solely on the quality of the build on the DX side (missed Peter1, 7O6T and a host of other big-name operations beyond that limit).

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2013, 06:55:28 AM »

What are you planning?  I have my inverted L antennas almost finished, but RX is another can of worms.

I have a single K9AY loop already, switchable between NE and SW, and it has been wonderful. I would like to add another one for NW and SE by this fall.

I will be seeing if I can sneak a beverage-on-ground along a NE/SW treeline that runs between properties in my neighborhood, or maybe even going to small triangular Hi-Z type array. Recommended spacing for the Hi-Z triangle array is 50 feet and I can manage that in my yard.
WD4ELG

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2013, 10:33:53 AM »

The Hi-Z arrays work quite well, I am thrilled with the performance of mine.  It was not cheap, but the quality and performance are there.  Some juicy stuff from this past season with mine:

1. XU long-path on 80 SSB, and I could not even hear him on my inverted L (and not many other folks could hear him either).
2. V5, ZL and ZS on 160 that I could not hear consistently on my inverted L.  Also heard but could not break the pileups on 160 for 9K2, A6, A4.  And I finally climbed over 100 worked on 160.
N4OGW

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2013, 10:45:36 AM »

On my quarter-acre lot there's not much more I can do other than go significantly higher, which I can't really afford. No space for Beverages, my K9AY is in one corner, an inverted-L for 160 over top of the driveway, tower in the middle. About all I could do would be a vertical in the furthest corner of the yard, but I can't see to what end. I already hear as well as possible on 80 given local noise levels, and can work everything I hear, plus I'm an alligator on 160--and I don't see a way of improving my 160 RX, but I'm sure open to ideas on that front. I've got a reliable range of about 4000 miles on 160. Anything beyond that and it's a crapshoot and relies solely on the quality of the build on the DX side (missed Peter1, 7O6T and a host of other big-name operations beyond that limit).

Probably your inverted L is re-radiating a lot of noise into your K9AY. One potential improvement for low-band rx would be to try detuning the inverted L while receiving.

Tor
N4OGW

Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: