Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Report CB Linear craigslist ads etc. to FCC?  (Read 5579 times)
WS4E

Ignore
« on: March 25, 2013, 06:59:55 AM »

I am not a busy-body type, but I have been watching the 'radios' in the for-sale section of my local craigslist for a few years now and I have really noticed a large increase in the amount of clearly non-authorized CB gear such as linear amps etc, being traded on craigslist in the last few months.

Should these ads be reported to the FCC?  Will they even bother to look into the gear?

As someone in a club who has to occasionally deal with the public asking for help due to interference from poor CB operation I do wonder if reporting these guys now, would help prevent another situation that we might have to deal with later.

N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 07:17:53 AM »

I am not a busy-body type, but I have been watching the 'radios' in the for-sale section of my local craigslist for a few years now and I have really noticed a large increase in the amount of clearly non-authorized CB gear such as linear amps etc, being traded on craigslist in the last few months.

Should these ads be reported to the FCC?  Will they even bother to look into the gear?

As someone in a club who has to occasionally deal with the public asking for help due to interference from poor CB operation I do wonder if rreporting these guys now, would help prevent another situation that we might have to deal with later.

Why do you worry about these people,  that you do not even know? More important things in life.  And the FCC is likely to go after big volume sellers. Not the small Craigslist sellers. Total waste of resources.
K6AER

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 08:40:00 AM »

Having a amplifier that is not certificated by the FCC is not illeagle. Using it improperly is.

To the larger question ...does anyone in the FCC care? Only if someone higher up wants them to.
K8AC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 08:51:13 AM »

There's virtually no FCC enforcement of any of the regulations relating to CB or amateur operation today.  While you may occasionally read about some company or individual being fined, only the most flagrant repeat violators  are ever nailed, and it appears to take months or years to even bring those cases to a solution.  If you do a quick search on eBay for "CB amplifier", you'll see hundreds of the amplifiers listed.  They have NEVER been legal and are still sold openly with no regulation whatever.  This has been going on for so long on eBay, that it's clear they just don't care (they claim they are not responsible) and neither does the FCC.  

If I were you, I'd answer any public inquiry during a speaking engagement with the comment that in any endeavor, there is an element which ignores the rules and somehow escapes the notice of the government.  It's illegal to steal property from people as well, but every day Internet scammers (and some non-Internet scammers) steal millions from unsuspecting members of our society.  That goes on in plain sight and no one does anything about that either.  

73, Floyd - K8AC
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 04:50:45 PM »

"Turn the Big Knob..."  As Riley informed us at Dayton. 
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 05:03:07 PM »

To the larger question ...does anyone in the FCC care?

They care. But you know how much it would cost to go after one or two amps on Craiglist. Figure on expenses if the agent going to the offender, the paperwork involved, and court costs if if even got that far. These amps are cheapo amps. Likely $100-400 in most cases. The FCC goes after vendors that do big volume.

The way I look at CB is that band is their own little fenced in yard or prison. Let them stay there and makes themselves crazy. If they go to the ham bands, then proceed to try and report them. But if they are on 11M and just doing what the hell they want and driving each other crazy, why the hell should we care? Start enforcing CB and they will stat migrating to 10,12,15M in mass. Not the few stragglers that occasionally wander there now.
N1UK

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2013, 07:32:56 PM »

The way I look at CB is that band is their own little fenced in yard or prison

but they don't stay there and are causing QRM in the cw end of 10m. It makes working 10m cw miserable sometimes. After all, who uses AM these days except for these idiots.

Mark N1UK
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2013, 08:16:34 PM »

hi,

Got nice email from FCC a few years ago about the
same products on ebay.

They are interested in the big volume dealers not
the mom and pop shops or the small pups.

73 james
KK4RHF

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2013, 10:31:39 PM »

They need to get the manufacturers of the trash amps. Dry up the supply and the problem will go away. The trash amps blow up with out any rhyme or reason what so ever, and they are so cheap it is more cost effective to throw it away than to fix it.  $200.00 for four NPN transistors($50.00 each) then they have to pay someone to install and test it for them. Not worth fixing. New it cost $279.00 I had one on my test bench that I had just replace the finals on a class "C" amp and the unit was not keyed and the transistors flamed out. You get what you pay for. Bad design, no filters, no tuned circuits.
KA3NXN

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2013, 01:33:47 AM »

Here is who they should be going after

http://www.icamanufacturing.com/store/default.aspx

Jaime-KA3NXN
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2013, 04:52:47 AM »

The way I look at CB is that band is their own little fenced in yard or prison

but they don't stay there and are causing QRM in the cw end of 10m. It makes working 10m cw miserable sometimes. After all, who uses AM these days except for these idiots.

Mark N1UK

Yep. That is a problem and you go after those. But the vast majority stay within the band. Especially the high power junkies that go on Ch. 6.
KD0GHB

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2013, 05:10:01 AM »

Jaime-KA3NXN

Why?  they sell electrical parts etc.  Nothing Illegal that I see. 
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2013, 05:16:37 AM »

Jaime-KA3NXN

Please say you are joking.
M6GOM

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2013, 03:35:38 PM »

They need to get the manufacturers of the trash amps.

The FCC has no authority in the countries where they're made.
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2013, 04:14:31 PM »

Please say you are joking.

Considering how many of these migrated to 11 Meters,
I say the FCC should go after the low life bastids who sold these to Chicken Banders at Hamfest swaps in the 70's and 80's.

>>> And while we're at it, let's go after the folks who sold these <<<

I say hang 'em by their tetrodes.

Roll Eyes  Roll Eyes

Never change a password on a Friday                
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: