Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is is with sellers prying equipment cases apart to take pictures?  (Read 1001 times)
K5TED

Ignore
« on: March 25, 2013, 08:52:34 PM »

Sorry, I don't want to buy what might have been a perfectly good piece of gear, now that you've taken it apart to show me how it's in such good shape. Particularly amazing when the subject is almost new, anyway.

I can understand maybe showing off the innard details of a homebrew amp, but , please, spare me the glorious guts shot of a barely year old 2 or 3 kilobuck rig.

How many times have you had it apart before? Who else has had it apart? We'll never know now for sure...

This isn't some third world roadside bazaar where you have to whack open the papaya to show me it's not rotted..

I'll take your word that the merchandise is as advertised. 
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 10:27:22 PM »

Most people won't take your word for it! A lot of these ads are most likely a "preemptive strike" where the seller is anticipating questions from prospective buyers who want to know about every dent, ding and blemish on the piece of gear they are selling.

I recently posted an ad to sell a set of used covers for a Ten Tec Jupiter for $25.00. I listed them as being in good shape with some very minor cosmetic issues. I exchanged a couple of emails with this guy and I ended up sending him 12 pictures from various angles and closeups. Sure, there were a few very minor scratches but no deep gouges down to bare metal. He came back saying that he was looking for covers in better condition and then had the gall to ask if I would reduce the price!

I mean c'mon! I listed them as used in good shape and was practically giving them away! What did he expect? If he wanted covers in pristine condition, why did he even bother to respond? I ended up taking the covers to the recycling yard! I would rather throw them away then waste my time dealing with people like that.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 09:55:43 AM »

TED:  List me with those "who want to see it!"  Nothing like buying a "perfectly operating piece of gear" only to find out it belonged to a smoker and the inside looks like ...t!  Then turning it on to find out the outside smells the same.

I want to see for myself that it hasn't been butchered inside with holes where they're shouldn't be or missing screws.....  and the list goes on.

However, I'm like you when I buy a new item and it comes in a box that has obviously been opened and resealed.  As a matter of fact, when I receive one like this I go into a rage where the wife and dog stays away from me until I calm down. 

AG6WT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2013, 10:51:19 AM »

Sorry, I don't want to buy what might have been a perfectly good piece of gear, now that you've taken it apart to show me how it's in such good shape. Particularly amazing when the subject is almost new, anyway.

I can understand maybe showing off the innard details of a homebrew amp, but , please, spare me the glorious guts shot of a barely year old 2 or 3 kilobuck rig.

How many times have you had it apart before? Who else has had it apart? We'll never know now for sure...

This isn't some third world roadside bazaar where you have to whack open the papaya to show me it's not rotted..

I like seeing the inside of a rig I might be buying. For one, I can immediately see if has or doesn't have any optional filters or tcxo units. I did once purchase TS-450 that was billed as having two CW filters and took the seller's word for it. When I got it it had neither! Fortunately it was an honest mistake and the seller promptly refunded part of my Paypal payment so I could buy my own.
M6GOM

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2013, 03:39:51 PM »

Eh? Are you new to amateur radio?

All the kenwoods require the lids taking off to install TXCOs, filters and speech units or to change the jumper for the attenuator for LF frequencies.

Most transceivers up until recently even used to come with a circuit diagram.

If they didn't want you to open up the lid, they'd put security screws on them and they'd not make options that required the lids to be removed to fit.

This is a technical hobby to for the purposes of self teaching and investigation into radio communications and taking the lid off stuff should be the norm, not the exception.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: