Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RF Grounding  (Read 993 times)
KF7ZCH

Ignore
« on: March 26, 2013, 02:23:10 PM »

Will the use of rf grounding make the hissing in my radio decrease?  Does the lack of an rf grounding affect my signal?
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 02:25:08 PM »

Usually not.  For both.
WA3SKN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013, 05:51:05 AM »

Disconnect the antenna and short the antenna jack.  Any noise will be internal to the radio, incoming via the power or ground.  So if the noise ceases, it is incoming via the antenna jack.  If it does not, it is time to check incoming power and ground... and RAREly is it incoming via the ground!
If there is excessive noise incoming via the antenna, you will probably want to locate and shield or filter the source.
Good luck with the project!
73s.

-Mike.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2013, 06:03:14 AM »

I don't see where you specified the type of antenna you are using. If its a center fed dipole or similar balanced antenna then RF grounding should make no difference in the signal. If its an end-fed wire then RF grounding will make a huge difference since it provides the other side of the circuit for the antenna feed.

KF7ZCH

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2013, 06:36:38 AM »

Thanks for the responses.  Thinking about what you all have said has made me think about another question I have.  If I want to have a vertical and make a coax run through the walls of my house, how essential and possible would an rf ground be?  My shack's location is near an inside wall.
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2013, 07:59:45 AM »

If I want to have a vertical and make a coax run through the walls of my house, how essential and possible would an rf ground be?  My shack's location is near an inside wall.

"RF Grounds" are part of antenna systems.  They have nothing to do with coax or where it may be routed.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2013, 08:19:20 AM »

ZCH:  Some excellent reading on grounding can be found at:  www.w8ji.com

WA3SKN

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2013, 04:49:27 AM »

Assuming an HF vertical working with a counterpoise, you have an unbalanced antenna with an unbalanced feedline.  You might want to put a ferrite or two on the coax at the base of the antenna, but you should be OK.
73s.

-Mike.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2013, 05:02:55 AM »

Don't forget the incoming antenna feed line.  If you're using ladder line or its equivalent, any noise source near the antenna feed line could put noise on the line.  If co-ax, the cheaper, less than 100 percent shielded coax could well have the same problem.  Good luck and 73.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: