Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wife said ok to the tower!!!!!  (Read 2202 times)
VA2FSQ

Ignore
« on: April 28, 2013, 06:24:20 PM »

So, now the work begins.  Theres a house a half mile away where they have a decent tower (much better than a tv type tower) up about 35 feet high , complete with a 4 or 5 element CB beam and a rotator.  They told me it's mine if I take it away.
So, how does one start?  I presume towers are bolted to some type of plate or rods in the ground?

Anyhow, assuming I can get it down, where does one find the ground rods or plates?  Is there a good write up somewhere on installing towers?

Thanks for any help.

VA2FSQ
W7HBP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2013, 06:38:11 PM »

Find out who made the tower. Then what model it is. They have a data specs and you can buy the base only if you want from the mfg. Assuming the mfg is still in business. With the specs, you could also make one too. They will have everything you need, ie hole depth, re-bar placement etc.

ARRL Life Member|QRZ Life Member
W5CPT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2013, 06:40:33 PM »

I will STRONGLY suggest you find someone local who can guide you.
A "free" tower is no bargain if it costs you your life. And, yes it happens.

Clint - W5CPT -
K4RVN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2013, 06:46:10 PM »

Clint gave you so good advice so don't ignore it. Most old towers are not safe to climb so don't do it. Forget the base as they are usually in concrete so plan on a new one fabricated or bought from the tower maker.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 03:29:14 AM »

Depending on how old and corroded it is, it may not even be worth your trouble.  If there was any--ANY--sign of corrosion on the tower legs, I would pass it up.  What Clint posted is good advice, and you would be wise to heed it.
W3DDF

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2013, 06:17:01 AM »

You should also check to see if any building permits are required from your town to erect a tower. You do not want to take a chance installing a tower without the necessary permits.
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2013, 08:20:07 AM »

The least expensive part of a typical tower installation is the tower.   You don't want to invest thousands of dollars installing a compromised tower.   

Even if in good shape I would only consider it if this "free" tower was a recognized make you can get the design documentation for (for permitting), as well as replacement bases and additional sections.  Consider adding a section or two, since at this stage that additional height is as cheap as it's going to get.  35 feet may cost you just as much to install as 55 feet, so you might as well maximize the investment.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2013, 11:26:25 AM »

I recently put up 40 feet of used Rohn 25. I got it in bits and pieces over the years. I did get permits to put it up.  Find a local ham who knows about this and learn what you need about tower sections. There are towers like the rohn 25 in 10 foot sections, and crank up towers and so on. So find some one who knows and have them help.  you will need to put in a base with concrete, rebar and a mounting plate or bolts, yoy will need some one to climb the tower with a proper climbing harness, and so on.  so yes a used tower is ok if you know what you are doing. but please get help.
W8ATA

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2013, 08:23:48 PM »

I have assisted in taking down several towers across the years. I hidden danger is the rusting from the inside of the down tubes, some so thin that they would fall if brackets or guys were removed.  Many of these tubes look fine on the outside but are an accident waiting to happen.  You have been given good advice and no one is trying to dampen your enthusiasm for a tower. We don't want you or others getting hurt.

73 and stay safe,
Russ
VA2FSQ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2013, 10:14:27 PM »

Thanks for all the advice.
On second thought I think I will go with my original plan. A mini beam (ma5b) with a wall mount.Will be about the same height, no need for permits, and much less danger.
Not only would I need to get the permit, I'd need to challenge the cites laws concerning antennas.
Not worth the effort when I can get the same thing mounted on a wall.
Maybe in a future qty...
Thanks

VA2FSQ
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2013, 11:18:19 AM »

I also had a MA5B up for a while on a push up mast, bracketed to the house.  I also suggest a set of guys just below the rotor at the top of the mast. You need to get it up about 1/2 wave if possible. so on 20 m that would be about 30 or 32 feet. this is doable on a push up mast.  You will be amazed at how well that little antenna works on all 5 bands that its made for. I really enjoyed mine, but don't go over the power limit, 1.2 kw, and enjoy it. You get 3 to 5 db gain on 10/15/20 and a rotatable dipole on 12/17. There is about 25 db rejection off the ends of the elements and I think you will find this little beam is a real winner.
VA2FSQ

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2013, 12:34:56 PM »

I'm looking forward to it. If it works as well as my verticle (av640) ill be reAlly happy especially if it helps to get rid of all the noise around here.
My plan is as follows: I will mount a two inch mast to the wall( 1/4 " thick tubing specked for the load.) as well as the gable.
Attached to this are two right angle " angle irons( made of aluminum 8" x 8" x. 8" and 1/2 thick.
Something like this:  ]|
On the bottom angle, the rotator will be mounted, and a shaft will run up through the other angle which has a rotator bearing. This will be right at the gable. The mast will continue to the antenna which will be 6-8' higher putting it at around 36 feet high.
I've done all the calculations and it will withstand winds of 90mph with a defeating of a factor of 50%
The tubing is aluminum 1/4 wall 2 1/4 t6066 (if my memory. Serves me)
Now the only catch is I need to rent a lift that will get me to a height of 30 feet.

VA2FSQ
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: