Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ZL9HR Financials ........ A Work of Fiction  (Read 25679 times)
9M6XRO

Ignore
« on: March 26, 2013, 08:05:31 PM »

For those who followed the "ZL9HR Money" thread or donated to the ZL9HR DXpedition, it might interest you that HARAOA have finally posted a "Financial Summary" on their website written by Treasurer VK3YP. See www.haraoa.com. It is a complete "Work of Fiction" and astonishingly claims a HARAOA deficit of $2000. Such accounting is an insult to the intelligence of the Sponsors, Donors and the DX Community at large.

Once again there is no mention of the boat hire costing NZ$81,075 or the US$8700 paid by each of the eight international non-HARAOA operators. It is as if we took a magic carpet to Campbell. These payments by us left precious little for HARAOA to actually pay! They had taken in US25,000 in sponsorship/donations BEFORE we left NZ for Campbell Island. Where has that money gone? Not to mention donations and QSL income received after the DXpedition!

We all know why the $1000 "donation" to NCDXF was made - it was a panic decision by VK2IR and VK3YP to take the heat off HARAOA at that moment. Up to that point in time HARAOA had NEVER made a donation to any DXpedition or Foundation. Fact. So why the sudden generosity?

I have sighted an email in which VK2IR says the boat hire had nothing to do with HARAOA. (In the same email he showed his contempt for the international operators by describing us as CB'ers and Gold Diggers), however, I have now a copy of the invoice from Fueleco New Zealand who arranged the charter of the "Evohe" for NZ$81,750 - it is addressed to the Hellenic Amateur Radio Association of Australia Inc (NSW Inc No 9890923) dated July 10th, 2012.

I know I will be asked to let this go, it's old news, but I do not intend to go quietly and let HARAOA keep their ill-gotten gains whether in cash or equipment purchased from your donations. It has become their "modus operandi" and follows on from VK9NI and VK9HR where the same tactics were employed on a smaller scale - and let's not forget DX0DX and the HARAOA connexion.

To lighten the mood, have a look at this recent youtube offering from VK2IR :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUkIgEOHbF4

I feel it should be sub-titled "The Two Man DXpedition"  Wink

Pretty self-serving for a pair who made about 3% of the Q's from ZL9HR and as non-CW ops were the main reason the SSB tally was so much lower than CW.

In conclusion I just hope the next time HARAOA looks for sponsorship and tries to find experienced ops the ZL9HR scam will not be forgotten. I will do all I can to keep it front and center until there is a creditable financial statement from the Treasurer. Cold days in hell come to mind....

73 - John - 9M6XRO

Fresh from the recent 9M4SLL Spratly DXpedition where everything was settled amicably and in true "ham spirit".

W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 08:15:07 PM »

Why does not one word of this surprise me in the slightest? Sigh. I'd hoped the situation would eventually work out in your favour but I feared it would not.

I would think that there must be some paunchy, balding little man in an ill-fitting grey suit, sitting amongst a pile of books and ledgers, shackles and thumbscrews, in a nondescript government office in Canberra who might find this very interesting reading indeed come tax submittal time.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
ZL3CW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 09:11:07 PM »

I do agree with you John, we can't let it go. Like you, I have been involved in a few expeditions and before this "scam" I could not imagine this will happen. If you recall during the trip VK2IR & VK3YP both agreed to include all donations in the "books". But you are right, it is a "Work of Fiction"  Grin
We have a "duty' to let all know what is going on. Already VK2IR has been removed from some organisations where he was "Oceania" pilot. It is called KARMA!
73's Jacky - ZL3CW / F2CW

« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 09:22:01 PM by ZL3CW » Logged
WL7E

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2013, 12:51:46 AM »

Umm, I don't see what I would call a Financial Summary and I had two years of accounting classes. It sounds more like a speech Sarah Palin would make, only shorter. Smiley I agree not to let this go and agree with W2IRT to talk to Canberra.

Joe WL7E
WN2C

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2013, 01:15:12 AM »

Why you gotta insult Sarah Palin?  She have something to do with this?

Wn2c  Rick
K8EUR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2013, 06:14:55 AM »

Can't find the financial report on the HARAOA web site - please post the URL.  Thanks.

Al - K8EUR
K6CF

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2013, 09:09:45 AM »

What is the reason to bash Sarah Palin in this thread? I don't see the need for that in this forum.
If you are trying to be cute, please do it elsewhere. 
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2013, 09:31:06 AM »

I never worked them, but am deeply troubled by the lack of transparency seen in the "report". I hope for the good of the people involved and the good of the community as a whole this gets resolved.

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
K7KB

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2013, 11:29:34 AM »

I certainly appreciate all the effort and fine operation done by the operators of ZL9HR to bring a new one to the masses, including me. It's a real shame that the actions of a couple of people and HARAOA ruins it for all of those who did work so hard to make it happen. At least now I think more people will insist on some kind of accountability to make sure it doesn't happen again.

John K7KB
5B4AIZ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2013, 01:14:36 PM »

It is certainly not a case of 'old news' John. Nothing released by HARAOA since this issue was raised and rightfully brought into the public domain has any credibility.

Keep the pressure on, you will find a way to bring them to account. As for HARAOA finding funding or operators for future expeditions that isn't going to happen. The dx community have long memories and still remind us of scammers in the hobby even more than 50 years ago.

73  Brian 5B4AIZ.
WD4ELG

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2013, 07:26:57 PM »

9M6XRO/John, THANK YOU FOR AN OUTSTANDING OPERATION FROM 9M4SLL.  Way to show us how it is done, from start to finish.
9M6XRO

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2013, 08:05:17 PM »

Can't find the financial report on the HARAOA web site - please post the URL.  Thanks.

Al - K8EUR

Hi Al

The following is exactly what was posted on the HARAOA website by VK3YP.  

Please bear in mind, we are talking about a $100,000+ DXpedition here!

MARCH 26, 2013
ZL9HR DXpedition Financial Summary
The HARAOA committee has conducted a review of all the financial transactions for the ZL9HR DXpedition. All the team members contributed an equal share of the DXpedition contribution fee and NZ DoC landing fee. The expenses incurred where all directly related to the ZL9HR DXpedition.
While the accounts are still not finalised an interim financial defecit of approx. $2,000 was realised (An expense transaction is pending for the damage to the Steppir Vertical Antenna).
This amount does not include the $1000 donation made to NCDXF which was made from other HARAOA funds.
We wish to thank all the DX foundation and individual donors who supported this successfull ZL9HR DXpedition to Campbell Island.
HARAOA Committee

I would not even glorify the above HARAOA statement by calling it "Creative Accounting" as it is actually just an insult to all sponsors, donors and the DX community alike. 

73 - John - 9M6XRO
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 08:08:14 PM by 9M6XRO » Logged
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2013, 08:11:20 AM »

John, 9M6XRO,

I was highly crtitical of VK2IR and VK3YP in this forum and VK3YP replied back to several of my posts.  I received the LoTW verification but not a QSL card although quite a few have now reported they have received their QSLs.

Are the HARAOA members in charge of the QSL cards?  

As for HARAOA I don't think you need worry about any of them being accepted into a reputable major DXpedition.  It's back to sausage cookouts for that "club."   Cheesy

Chris/NU1O
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 08:34:06 AM by NU1O » Logged
ZL1BYZ

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2013, 12:29:15 PM »

9M6XRO/John, THANK YOU FOR AN OUTSTANDING OPERATION FROM 9M4SLL.  Way to show us how it is done, from start to finish.

I'll second that, bravo to John and the rest of the 9M4SLL team. Smiley  Also to all the other groups that go out time and again, that enhance the enjoyment of our hobby for everyone and don't create train wrecks like Haraoa.  Angry

73 John ZL1BYZ.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 12:52:49 PM by ZL1BYZ » Logged
9M6XRO

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2013, 06:21:05 AM »

Are the HARAOA members in charge of the QSL cards?  

Chris, EB7DX is QSL Mgr and has an OQRS system set up. I have been told by another QSL Mgr that the charges are quite high. I believe cards have been going out but I've read a couple of complaints which can happen with such large volumes. The international ops have not been involved with the cards at all and certainly not with any donations - like everything else those go to HARAOA.

VK2IR told me that the 16-page QSL card (booklet) was being sponsored and printed free of charge by a printer in Bulgaria. As far as I know none of the ZL9HR international ops received a copy of the booklet - I certainly didn't.

To give you an idea how mean-spirited HARAOA are, here's another example. Most of the international ops were approached to give presentations to various Conventions and DX Clubs around the world. In order to obstruct us HARAOA announced on the ZL9HR qrz.com page:-

1) ZL9HR is a trademark of the Hellenic Amateur Radio Association of Australia.

2) ZL9HR Logos and ZL9HR Photos are copyright of the Hellenic Amateur Radio Association of Australia and may not be used without permission of HARAOA.

Number (1) this claim was totally rejected by the NZ licensing dept.
Number (2) was equally outrageous as HARAOA were claiming copyright over photos taken by the international ops themselves which they had uploaded to an ftp server set up by VK3YP. Once he'd gathered in all the photos he changed the password for the server and announced copyright on the photos!

What has come out so far about these two guys is not even the half of it, believe me.

73 - John - 9M6XRO
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: