Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it 2013, or 1979? Is the cycle really THAT bad?  (Read 2261 times)
WD4ELG

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2013, 06:28:15 PM »

Luke, maybe it's the Aussie accent, but every time I hear a VK station I feel like I gotta work you guys.  Even if SE VK (sorry about that mixup). 

Maybe I am jealous that you ops always seem more relaxed while I always feel stressed or in a hurry.  But I have NEVER heard a rude, angry, or unhappy VK station on the air. 35 years in the hobby, always courteous and friendly.  Even when Skylab was falling down out of the sky in 1979, I talked to some VK stations who laughed it off even if it should hit their house (luckily noone got hurt from that).

Just wish I heard you VK's more often, and hopefully on 160 (now would be a good time, as we near the spring equinox, so I will get up before my SR).
VK3HJ

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2013, 07:43:31 PM »

Top Band was great last night (your early morning).
Had a nice run including NC, GA (3), PA, OH (2), SD, UT, AL, TN, TX, IL, CA, then Sakhalin and Japan. Robert DU7ET was strong, as was 9M4SLL.
So will start putting out some CQs in your direction.
I've given up being stressed or hurried. Life's too short to rush around!
Stop to smell the roses, as they say.
I notice HF is dead today, with the geomagnetic storm. I could barely hear WWV on 15 MHz. I'll just go ride my horse now.
Luke VK3HJ
AB8MA

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2013, 07:45:34 AM »

From the August 2365 issue of Scientific Amerasia journal :

"The Maunder Maximum (also known as the prolonged sunspot maxima) is the name used for the period starting in about 2011 and continuing to about 2245, peaking 2016-2048 when sunspots became exceedingly alarming, as noted by solar observers of the time."
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 07:50:56 AM by AB8MA » Logged
WD4ELG

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2013, 07:15:43 PM »

Wow.  20 meters to Asiatic Russia was incredible tonight.  I finally had to shut off the rig to go to sleep for work tomorrow.  I called CQ on 20 CW (normally I don't call CQ), and had a string of UA0 come back to me.  Signal strengths were S5 to S9, with UA0SM S9+ and RW0SC an incredible S9+20.  One of the stronger stations was running 15 watts.

If not for the polar flutter, I would have thought he was stateside.   One of the UA0 ops was zone 23, that thin sliver of Russia right above Mongolia.

So maybe there is hope for me and VK9C yet.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: