Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: VK9CZ is QRV  (Read 7075 times)
W2IRT

Ignore
« on: March 27, 2013, 04:07:11 PM »

Well that was a nice finish to a hectic day. Just as I'd fired up my pipe for an evening of hamming my DX alarm goes off for VK9CZ on 40. Now, 40's not my best band for over-the-pole work -- that'd be 20 -- and Cocos-Keeling isn't exactly easy, but I fired up Big Al, spun the dial and sure enough "QRZ VK9CZ up" was clear and S7! Two guys got in before me but three's a charm and just like that number 306 on 40's in the log. In and out in under a minute--gotta love it! I recall the 3 hours of screaming at 600W it took on my dipole to bag my first-ever.

Here's where it got interesting. I sat there puffing on my Frog Morton (original only, please!), allowing its latakia goodness to enswirl me, and he kept getting louder. And louder; peaking at S9 and just a flicker more. The pileup didn't really get all that big, either, up 1 or 2 even after my cluster spot. In fact the worst part of it was the rude IK9 who wouldn't stop calling and the K2 who's key clicks could curdle cream 2kHz down. Unfortunately he went QRT (or QRX, I missed the message) before I had the presence of mind to turn long-path, but I suspect he'd have been stronger SP anyways since that way lies darkness.

Go git 'em, guys!

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 05:52:31 PM »

Dang I missed him. I was too busy filling out QSL cards to notice.

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013, 06:33:16 PM »

Peter, I love the way you told the story, and "the K2 who's key clicks could curdle cream 2kHz down" was just priceless.

Chuck  NI0C
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2013, 07:04:31 PM »

Peter, I love the way you told the story, and "the K2 who's key clicks could curdle cream 2kHz down" was just priceless.

Chuck  NI0C

Latakia will make anyone wax poetically...  Grin

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
AB8MA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2013, 07:48:22 PM »

I see that only three people spotted VK9CZ, the last being Peter. Looks like VK9CZ was only on a minute or so.
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2013, 07:53:45 PM »

I see that only three people spotted VK9CZ, the last being Peter. Looks like VK9CZ was only on a minute or so.

He was on for about 15-20 minutes after I saw the first spot. I was writing up the original post when he sent a longer message and left, but I wasn't paying attention to copy what he sent. I was quite surprised that few were calling him given the strength of the signal. I'm still not 100% convinced it wasn't our ol' buddy Slim, but WFWL and all that.

Latakia will make anyone wax poetically...  Grin

Some more than others. My Froggy makes me a HappyHamâ„¢. Not too enthused about that Yenidje Highlander, though....too strong.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2013, 08:32:57 PM »

Ya know, the more I think on this the more doubt I'm having that this was real. The expedition isn't supposed to start for two more days (three, at time the Q was made, but subtract a day for the Int'l date line), and there was zero flutter on the signal, over a path of greater than 10,000 miles and a bearing of 17 degrees. However, the upside is that he was strongest on that heading, the path was an almost perfect, classic greyline path at the time of QSO and by all accounts propagation into Asiatic Russia was great tonight so....?

Only time (and LoTW) will tell, I guess Grin

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
VK3HJ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2013, 11:44:30 PM »

There are no indications they are QRV yet.
However, we have a good two weeks to work a couple of very good ops. I've worked Chris on a couple of different expeditions.
They have a website:
http://www.vk9cz.com/
which promises a live online log, if the Internet connection allows, otherwise daily uploads to LotW.
They have plans to operate all HF bands and 160 m, so I look forward to some band fills, especially Top Band.
73 es GL,
Luke VK3HJ
N2RJ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2013, 05:53:20 AM »

Sorry about the slim, Peter... I may try for this one for a few bandfills but I already have VK9AA so I don't need it for ATNO. Cheesy
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2013, 06:31:53 AM »

Worked VK9AA on 20 CW only, so lots of bandfills needed here. I worked VK9AA from the S.C. QTH, which would have been using the C-3SS up near 50'.
We shall see if I can still brag on the wire vertical after this one is over....... Roll Eyes

Money bands here in Florida, per VOACAP look to be 15 and 17, perhaps 12 as well....  Decent openings, but nothing to get excited about Undecided. Looks a "little" better than the W4-Short Path on their site, but I entered a bit more QRO than they used Grin.

GL to all who need em!

73, Gene AF3Y
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 06:35:14 AM by AF3Y » Logged
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2013, 07:43:19 AM »

I have Cocos-Keeling on 6 bands confirmed and all three modes, but 40 would be nice if it was legit. My VK9 problem child is Christmas Island. That's the one that gives me fits. I only have them on 15, 17 and 20, and NOT on Phone yet, either. RTTY yes, SSB no. Go figure.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2013, 09:34:02 AM »

My VK9 problem child is Christmas Island. That's the one that gives me fits. Go figure.

You are not alone.  I could never hear them well, even with the antenna "mini-farm" I had in S.C. Just Never could work em....... Sad

Maybe someday......... Roll Eyes

73, Gene AF3Y
N1UK

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2013, 10:43:12 AM »

I managed to get them last time around but it was very very difficult.  Running full power to an Optibeam at 87 1/2 feet and I had to repeat my call about 15 to 20 times when he was listening fer me

Mark N1UK
W4VKU

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2013, 08:42:45 PM »

Aimgo Mark,
 Wasn't that Christmas Island VK9-X that you bagged by getting past the EU pile on 12m ssb?  Cheesy
 VK9-C was relatively easy. I have em confirmed on 1 band/slot. Band fills would be nice
 VK9-X would be an ATNO for me.

Krish
w4vku
N1UK

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2013, 09:42:12 PM »

Wasn't that Christmas Island VK9-X that you bagged by getting past the EU pile on 12m ssb?

Yes it was VK9XM on 15m ssb. The only time that we ever heard him and in the middle of the short opening he started to ask for NA. It was certainly a memorable ATNO for me.

Mark N1UK
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: