Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help with Power-Over-Ethernet for IPCAM mounted on 432 yagis  (Read 812 times)
KD7YZ

Ignore
« on: March 28, 2013, 05:06:39 AM »

I bought an Agasio 602W UPCAM. It has a short cable with two pig-tails. I can plug a 5v power-module into it and the camera gets pix back to the shack.

But it isn't too practical to also run a power-cord form the shack all the way up the tower and so forth.

So I tried a Trend-net tpe-103I injector at the shack and despite the manufactures claim that the 602W is POE, it never works unless I plug power in right at the camera.

I've tried the one forum listed as an Agasio tech forum but no one ever answers or replies to the question.

Maybe some of you guys use a web-cam to help align EME arrays and can help.

The set-up: Agasio 602W at antenna. CAT5a Ethernet to power injector (Trendnet) at shack. Ethernet cable from there to home server. Camera at other end of 100 foot Cat5 does not turn on.

But connect 5v at their 2-foot cable Ethernet/power receptacle, and then 100' CAT5 to server and camera works.

thanks in advance

K0JEG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2013, 06:45:58 AM »

Make sure you are using the correct wiring scheme on the CAT-5 cable:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_over_Ethernet#Power_capacity_limits

I usually use T568B wiring on straight cables and it works OK. If you wire a T568A on one end and a T568B connector on the other it will make a "crossover" cable, saving you the need to buy a switch to interconnect 2 devices.

Try using a short 6' jumper as a test. If it works, there's your answer. Also, it could be that the POE feature is not true POE and doesn't like the 48VDC or so that the trendnet injector is putting out. If that's the case, there are passive injectors available, but I don't know that 5VDC would survive the 100' trip out to the antenna.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013, 06:55:33 AM »

I don't think the 602W has POE capability. At least it doesn't say anything about it in the manual that is available from the mfg on line.

POE also has a couple of flavors. The simplest just uses the two extra pairs in CAT5 cable to supply power. You can actually do this yourself by "breaking out" the extra pairs on both ends. Use two conductors in parallel for + and two in parallel for -. The problem can be that the voltage drop in a long cable run can be too much for the camera.

Better systems use a higher injected voltage with regulators in the camera to compensate for the voltage drop. Higher voltage means less current for the same power.

GB Ethernet requires all conductors for data so the POE uses a "phantom" system that applies DC power along with the data on conductors.
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2013, 05:09:09 PM »

In the Agasio 602W UPCAM specs it is clearly stated it is NOT POE capable.

Your Trendnet POE injector is pushing 48v to the camera. It's going nowhere. Hopefully. If you leave it connected long enough it may smoke something in the camera.

What you need is a AIR802 POEPASS-01 Passive PoE Injector/Splitter, and use your 5 vdc supply to feed it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: