Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How many of us are not using beams?  (Read 4369 times)
WX2S

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2013, 08:26:49 PM »

Hustler 6BTV with 16 radials here. 160 countries worked and 120 confirmed in a little under one year.

Wx2s.

73, - Steve WX2S.
I subscribe to the DX Code of Conduct. http://dx-code.org/
WD4ELG

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2013, 08:45:02 PM »

Although I have a hex now, I did get to 170 countries using a half square and dipoles. 
K0YQ

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2013, 01:10:47 AM »

HF6V tucked in right behind my house.  HOA in a house purchased before I was an op.

I'm looking at remote options but may have to exist status quo for a few more years.  It could certainly be worse... 
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2013, 02:26:49 AM »

My niche is QRP CW/DX,30m a bidirectional inverted V,20/40m a new Carolina type windom .All homebrew ,no tuner and max height of 25 ft.What I lack in antenna height is more than made up for by my basic understanding and proper use of propagation.I will admit that the majority of my 2 by QRP/DX contacts are using either a hex or moxon type antenna.
WS3N

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2013, 05:18:20 AM »

Recently I have been designing combination Moxon - Yagi's - all aluminum.

You've given us the declaration. What is the definition?  Wink
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2013, 05:27:04 AM »

It's unlikely that I'll be using any beams in the near future but I haven't figured out what I will be using Grin  Just took all my antennas down (including beams that worked on 20/17/15/12) for a move.

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
K8CMO

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2013, 05:32:30 AM »

I live in a condo and cannot put up a tower, so I use only a G5RV strung into the trees with a Kenwood TS-590 and an Ameritron AlS-600 when needed.  I have not failed yet to work any DX station I seriously tried to work, and I am amazed how early in the pileup I sometimes work the DX.  I am at 345 total and 326 of the current list.  I am amazed how well I do with the G5RV, and I don't even live in a good location.  I am down in a valley at about 600 feet above sea level. 
W1VT

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2013, 06:26:42 AM »

I use whatever I have available--which has been anything from a short helically wound indoor dipole (KV4AA) to a 204B at 100 ft.

The best DX I've ever done with with a modest antenna:

Working FR7CG/T (Tromelin) from Hawaii with 4 watts and a half wave wire vertical.  Really tough distance from Hawaii.

Zack W1VT
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2013, 06:51:02 AM »

Recently I have been designing combination Moxon - Yagi's - all aluminum.

You've given us the declaration. What is the definition?  Wink

Aluminum Moxon with wire sides for 20M, with a tuned and spaced director so that you get 13 dBi on 20 and 17M - with 16 DB f/b.

Direct feed - 50 ohms. 12 foot boom. elements insulated from the 2" boom.

email if you want the eznec file
KB3LIX

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2013, 08:34:45 AM »

Nothing directional here.
Limited to 100 watts due to budget.

I live in a mobile home park.
The owner is an ass (I'm being KIND)

When I first started, I made a wire doublet, asked permission to string it
up in the trees. NO ! Nothing in the trees, they are VALUABLE !
So I configured the doublet as an inverted V. One end amchored
to the back of my house, the other end to several cinder blocks
in the front yard. All was well UNTIL the ASS snagged the low end of the doublet with their quad (They fly around here on quads like the NAZI
guards at a concentration camp) and pulled the whole thing down.
Support pipe and all.
I figured EAT S***. When I reconfigured the doublet, I strung it in
the trees. You can barely see it. Been there for several years and
no grief.

Sometime back I also bought a 4BTV. We mounted the vert to the side of my
house on very sturdy mounts. Nothing touches the earth. Radials
are slung over the house roof or lashed to nearby trees.

Up to 265 countries worked.

Have Mixed, CW, Phone & Digi DXCC's
I am about 15 countries on 80m short for 5bdxcc.

Unless I win the Mega-Millions or PowerBall and move, nothing directional
on the horizon here.
But AIN'T IT FUN to have someone on the other side of the globe answer your call using just 100w and either a simple vertical or a chunk of zip cord.

SURE TORQUES MY SCREWZ !!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 08:37:08 AM by KB3LIX » Logged
KE8EC

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2013, 09:51:35 AM »

I have never owned a beam antenna. I have used a G5RV as well as several dipoles. Currently I have a G5RV and Hustler 4BTV. I am planning a wire fed with home made ladder line. Usually I can work those that I hear. Many times that works because of their big antenna  Smiley but patience is a virtue as well as timing. Great hobby regardless, large or small, full power or QRP. 73! From KE8EC.
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2013, 03:25:53 PM »

100 watts to a G5RV since 1990....prior to that 100 watts and a tri-band dipole.....with both combind, 281 countries on all bands using SSB and CW (288 if you count deleteds).....Having sunspots helps.....wouldn't know that now, that's for damn sure.....

V
KA3NRX

AF5CC

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2013, 09:06:35 PM »

I have never owned a beam antenna. I have used a G5RV as well as several dipoles. Currently I have a G5RV and Hustler 4BTV.

How does the G5RV compare to the vertical? Which one usually hears the DX better, and which one usually get through?

John AF5CC
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2013, 09:24:22 PM »

I have never owned a beam antenna. I have used a G5RV as well as several dipoles. Currently I have a G5RV and Hustler 4BTV.

How does the G5RV compare to the vertical? Which one usually hears the DX better, and which one usually get through?

John AF5CC

I once had a G5RV mounted very high in a flat-top configuration and it really played.  The key is the flat-top orientation.  The moment you start bending the legs the effectiveness goes way down.  Also keep in mind that a horizontally polarized antenna picks up an extra 5-5.5db of ground reflection gain AND 2.1db of broadside gain.  It takes a very vertical (i.e. lots of radials) to come close to a dipole mounted very high.  The problem with the dipole is that most are mounted as an inverted-V so in the real world the two antennas are fairly comparable.

Jonathan W6GX
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2013, 10:18:49 PM »

I once had a G5RV mounted very high in a flat-top configuration and it really played.  The key is the flat-top orientation.  The moment you start bending the legs the effectiveness goes way down.  Also keep in mind that a horizontally polarized antenna picks up an extra 5-5.5db of ground reflection gain AND 2.1db of broadside gain.  It takes a very vertical (i.e. lots of radials) to come close to a dipole mounted very high.  The problem with the dipole is that most are mounted as an inverted-V so in the real world the two antennas are fairly comparable.

Jonathan W6GX

Jonathan,

If you are comparing a true dipole to an inverted Vee don't you mean they Are Not  comparable?  Sorry, but you have me confused as to what you are comparing.

Chris/NU1O
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: