Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: More interesting prop on 20  (Read 551 times)
WD4ELG

Ignore
« on: March 28, 2013, 08:43:29 PM »

So I heard ZL4PW calling CQ on 20 CW at 0330 UTC.  He is S9.  Other US stations call him back and give him strong signal reports.  So does a UA9 station, who says he is very strong. 

The UA9/0 stations are strong tonight as last night, but not as strong. 

So I am trying to figure out what is up here.  Strongest ZL station in a few weeks.  Skew path?  Also heard HC2 very strong, S9+.  And a US station, WC0W, had a polar flutter like pattern on his signal.  Reflection off of some boundary in ionosphere after last weekend's strong CME? 

It has been an interesting week on 20...
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013, 04:54:55 AM »

A certain chunk of this is big contest stations "warming up" for WPX phone this weekend. I think some of the 20/30/40 activity from Chile and Ecuador last night is this.

Being the end of March it is also the first time many polar locations have seen sunlight in months too :-).

Also a lot of Northern EU folks get time off from work this week. (I'm not too up on when Orthodox Easter is) for an overall pick up in activity.

For me (very modest high band antennas) the solstices are one of the times of year when over the pole paths are almost "easy".  I had several BY's late yesterday afternoon. And a JT. Not to mention JW (a new one for me! I will have to look up what my most northernmost grid squares have been)
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2013, 01:39:02 PM »

It certainly is a lot different from the doldrums back in January when 20 meters was closing a little after sunset.  I got up at about 1 AM the other night and checked into the ANZA Net. I gave MA to about a 1/2 dozen stations in the Pacific including one station on Norfolk Island and one from Tahiti. I hung around for about an hour and went back to bed.  I seriously doubt that path was open a few months ago and the solar flux was a puny 92.

I haven't spent a whole lot of time on 20 meters at night but one recent evening I had real good conditions over the pole.

There are a few stations warming up on 10 meters for WPX as I write but I think I'd be getting some sleep if I was going to go all out this weekend. It's also hard to celebrate Easter with family and participate in a contest at the same time so I'll just hand out a few points tonight and Saturday.

Chris/NU1O

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: