Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Late Night Listening  (Read 1260 times)
KG7LFJ

Ignore
« on: November 20, 2014, 12:19:37 AM »

I am on the west coast in Seattle.  I'm a night owl and since getting into ham I often turn on the radio after midnight to see whats out there.  I check the propgation report on QRZ and when it says that certain bands are GOOD, I go to them and never hear anything. 

During the day time, I am able to make contact with stations in this country but nothing out of the country at all. 

I am also stuck in a HOA neighborhood that does not allow antennas, yet I have an end fed wire that tunes up on all bands between 10 and 80.     

Does anyone have any experience with late night DXing?  Is everyone sleeping or do I not have enough antenna to hear them.    I'm thinking about picking up a multiband vertical that I can raise and lower after dark.  But if the bands are all silent.......
AA7LX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2014, 12:31:02 AM »

Hello; ... I have found the same conditions... However, after about 3:00AM local time, I start to hear the skip and other stations(Pacific/South America) coming in. Also, Radio signals/conditions will vary throughout the year. sometimes 40m and/or 20m will be exceptional. Don't let high background noise suggest that the bands "close up" after midnight. 73' George, AA7LX.
NO2A

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 10:22:39 AM »

From your location you should have a good shot to the Pacific. I would try 40,30,20,17m at night. 80m maybe,depending on your noise level. There might be a small window for hearing Europe from the west coast,but I would think the Pacific should be good. I worked an FK8 the other night from here in central NJ.
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2014, 02:54:02 PM »

I am on the west coast in Seattle.  I'm a night owl and since getting into ham I often turn on the radio after midnight to see whats out there.  I check the propgation report on QRZ and when it says that certain bands are GOOD, I go to them and never hear anything.  

During the day time, I am able to make contact with stations in this country but nothing out of the country at all.  

I am also stuck in a HOA neighborhood that does not allow antennas, yet I have an end fed wire that tunes up on all bands between 10 and 80.    

Does anyone have any experience with late night DXing?  Is everyone sleeping or do I not have enough antenna to hear them.    I'm thinking about picking up a multiband vertical that I can raise and lower after dark.  But if the bands are all silent.......

After your local midnight, focus on the 30m, 40m, and 80m bands. The 20m band might also be open, but unless the solar flux is unusually high, the bands from 17m on up will likely not be open.

At that time, all of North America and South America will be in darkness, but many ops in those continents will be asleep. However, darkness will extend west to Siberia, Japan, the Pacific Islands, and New Zealand, where more ops will be awake:

Four hours later, Australia, the Phillipines, Southeast Asia, India, and China will all become accessible to you via the low bands:

Dave, AA6YQ
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 02:56:43 PM by AA6YQ » Logged
KC7YE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 03:44:36 PM »

Hey Nick; Im up in Mukilteo and have an 33ft S9 and low random wire. Don't hear much after midnight local either. On FD ran the 80 mtr CW position at WA7LAW, antenna designed and built by K7II. A pro ! Busy all night.
Plan is to get up around 0300 local after Thanksgiving, see what shakes out.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: