Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Solar flare, geomagnetic storm this weekend, might make HF bad.  (Read 4384 times)
WA2ISE

Ignore
« on: September 11, 2014, 01:32:14 PM »

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/astronomy-news/observing-news/powerful-solar-flare-091020143/

quote from above: "the shock front now crossing interplanetary space should reach Earth on Friday at about 12h Universal Time (5 a.m. Pacific Daylight Time). SWPC forecasters are predicting a moderate G2 geomagnetic storm on Friday and more robust G3 levels through Saturday."

G2: HF radio propagation can fade at higher latitudes, and aurora has been seen as low as New York and Idaho (typically 55° geomagnetic lat.)

G3:  intermittent satellite navigation and low-frequency radio navigation problems may occur, HF radio may be intermittent
http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/NOAAscales/
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2014, 07:41:44 PM »

Might bode well for the Sept VHF contest this weekend.
NO2A

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2014, 09:12:20 PM »

I don`t know exactly when the storm hit us,but I worked plenty of dx on 17/15m Thursday. Friday those bands were still active. Maybe it hit earlier in the week.
VK3DWZ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2014, 05:43:58 AM »

I didn't notice any problems with the shortwave bands this week.  Tonight, stations were booming in.  I even heard dear old Brother Stair on a station and frequency that I haven't heard before!
ZENKI

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2014, 03:30:54 AM »

Calling CQ creates propagation, many hams have yet to learn this secret.

Listening does not create propagation!

I have had the most incredible openings on the WARC bands during solar disturbances. Experiences like the short path being swapped for the long path at the short path times.
I would not have discovered this had I sat there sitting and listening.

Its the one disappointing facet of HF radio today, not many stations want to sit their and call CQDX like the old days.
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2014, 03:26:48 PM »

15M opened a little late to EU Saturday AM in the WAE SSB contest but conditions were pretty good despite really high A and K numbers.

Sunday, 15M was superb (opened way before I got out of bed) and 10M was pretty good too.

Today (Tuesday), all of 10M, 12M, 15M were superb.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: