Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Digital Voice on HF  (Read 2006 times)
WA4PTZ

Ignore
« on: March 29, 2013, 12:44:03 PM »

After the article in QST about the new FreeDV software downloads I thought I would try it. I already have 2 sound cards in my computer since I play with an SDR. I set it up and configured it and tuned to 14.236 mhz and began to zero in on the digital signal in the waterfall. I made a couple of contacts but I also noticed that they were a little off frequency according to my radio digital readout. No problem I simply tune to them. Next the QRM. Some of the contesters sat right on top of the frequency or very near and while they transmitted ( voice, cw and RTTY) I waited for a break in the transmissions. It was taking several seconds for the digital software to sync with the digital signals on the band and often the QRM returned before lock was achieved. I suggested to a few of the folks I contacted that an Internet Chat room or some other gathering point was needed so that we could coordinate another frequency and also to allow others to learn from the more experienced users. For instance the best audio I heard came from stations using 5 to 40 watts of output power. More than that seemed to cause a great deal of distortion and block others trying to communicate. What do you think? If you have experimented with FreeDV lets hear what you have to say. Your ideas and suggestions. Maybe some of the experienced operators will give us their input as well.
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2013, 04:02:48 AM »

That article also inspired me to download the program, but I haven't actually transmitted on it yet.

As far contesters walking all over you, the CQ WPX is one of the major contests of the year. Now I am not condoning their behavior (especially since I plan on throwing out a few points), but if you are hoping for a clear spot on the phone bands, it ain't gonna happen this weekend!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: