Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Implications Of SDRs Using Thick Vs Thin EtherNet Interfaces ?  (Read 942 times)
WB5AGF

Ignore
« on: June 26, 2014, 04:35:46 PM »

Thursday Afternoon
26 June 2014

So far what I'm hearing about the Apache Labs ANAN line of SDRs sounds interesting and the FLEXRadio folks are just a few hours down-the-highway from me (plus they have a nice booth at our local Dallas-area 'HamCom' hamfest each summer .... this year's having been just 2 weeks past as I write this) so I've been thinking about what the two companies are offering (for the FLEXRadio folks its their FLEX-6000 products). What has grabbed my attention is the two different philosophies of the User Interfaces (SmartSDR and PowerSDR).

I have begun to consider the implications of the older PowerSDR depending on the computer to do a lot of the processing and thus the PC-radio interface is thick-EtherNet whereas the newer SmartSDR is able to leave most-all of the number crunching to the FLEX-6000's fancy hardware and internal LINUX operating system so its PC-radio interface is thin-EtherNet.

Thick vs Thin EtherNet .... Other than the obvious difference in bandwidth (in the digital domain) are there other matters to consider relating to this ?

I like what I see in the ANAN radios but the FLEX-6000's embedded signal processing ability seems desirable. ( I wonder about the feasibility of marrying an ANAN radio to a co-located computer which would then act as a server to a thin-EtherNet connected PC at the operating position ? This would seem like having a FLEX-6000 radio with an ' open ' operating system ... the best-of-both-worlds. Of course a system design like this would mean that you would have to fire up two PCs, plus the radio, every time you wanted to get-on-the-air.)

- Paul, WB5AGF
M6GOM

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2014, 05:00:32 PM »

Thick vs Thin EtherNet .... Other than the obvious difference in bandwidth (in the digital domain) are there other matters to consider relating to this ?

I like what I see in the ANAN radios but the FLEX-6000's embedded signal processing ability seems desirable. ( I wonder about the feasibility of marrying an ANAN radio to a co-located computer which would then act as a server to a thin-EtherNet connected PC at the operating position ? This would seem like having a FLEX-6000 radio with an ' open ' operating system ... the best-of-both-worlds. Of course a system design like this would mean that you would have to fire up two PCs, plus the radio, every time you wanted to get-on-the-air.)

- Paul, WB5AGF

Aside from the fact you can operate the Flex 6000 anywhere on your LAN, even over wifi, as if you were sat at it, there is also no physical connection to the PC so there's no worry about RF issues crashing the PC. You also get rid of all the issues of lag etc. It massively reduces the problems that plague SDRs where the PC does the processing.
VE3WMB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2014, 06:26:25 PM »

Paul :

I think one of the biggest pluses for a thin client is that there will be less issues with
PC compatibility.  With SmartSDR most of the "hard-lifting" is done within the 6000-series rig,
in an environment where Flex has control over both the hardware and software.  They know
 the different radio hardware configurations that are supported and can test these when there is a significant software change made.  With PowerSDR, on the other hand a much more significant portion of the processing is done on a PC supplied by the user. With so many PC hardware vendors their is almost an infinite number of hardware combinations and some of these are going to have issues in performing the sort of processing required for SDR.

I don't know what is at the software core of the Flex 6000 series but I assume that it is a Linux (or at least Posix-compatible) with a real-time kernel. This is a good thing as it simplifies the client code and  it means that literally almost any PC with the an Ethernet Interface should work with SmartSDR.

Michael VE3WMB
KC8IIR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2014, 07:14:28 PM »

The thick client of the Anan has such advanced dsp software written by some of the best in the industry. The I7 processor with a high end mainboard will lift mountains of work.
They have moved some program items inside the fpga and will continue to do so as needed. They have been working on a wifi tablet android app for the Anan , but have not released it yet.
I can open and operate the thick client anywhere on my network also.

You can adjust and change every aspect of the way you process signals on the Anan, The new APF filter for cw is absolutely awesome. Over time the Linux version of power sdr will evolve. For now this platform has proven to be the best radio I have ever owned.

If you love sdr , any of these rigs will work .Living in texas it would be hard to place an order in india. You could always buy a rig with experience, I see both on qth and qrz regularly for sale.

Greg kc8iir
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: