Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Baofeng  (Read 5782 times)
K8DFI

Ignore
« on: March 31, 2013, 12:26:27 PM »

Does anyone have any experience with this brand of radio. I am on a very limited budget and would like to become active (10 year licencee, no air time) I have an old Clegg FM28, 2 meter, that I inherited from my Grandfather, but I'm not so sure it works properly. I tune it to a local repeater and get an occasional CW, but never hear any conversation. My license is in renewal mode, so I can't try to TX at this time.  I would like to get a dual band like these found on Ebay, but I don't want to waste $50+ if they're "junk". Also, if my radio does in fact work properly, does anyone know it's value?

Just realized I posted in the wrong are, PLEASE DELETE
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 12:34:24 PM by KG4TYR » Logged

David
K8DFI
N1GMV

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 07:06:03 AM »

I got two of them for Christmas one for me one for my wife, also got the programming cable (a must)

The radios are a little low on the audio out department but other than that these rigs are great!!

The batteries last almost forever, the antenna is not the best but then again don't all rubber ducks?

The speaker is great, very loud output and the unit is feature rich.

I love mine, for overall use it is one of my favorite handhelds I have owned.

2 for $100 with programming cable and free shipping is the going rate on Ebay.

KD0VEY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013, 06:18:21 AM »

I have the latest one, the UV-B5. Here are the pros and cons:
It has many improvements over the earlier ones. The squelch works better. The receive is very good even with the rubber duck antenna - I easily pick up the repeater over 10 miles away, indoors. I use the CHIRP software because it can download repeater info directly from the repeater book. Makes it pretty easy. The oem software was very easy to use. I just got one of the usb adapters off ebay. The battery has lasted me a week so far, very little transmitting, though. Works fine in my car with a mobile antenna. I needed to ground the negative on my antenna, though. It is a lipo battery so it will last a long time. But, even though the instructions say the software won't let the battery g completely dead, I would suggest charging it before that point to preserve the life of your lipo.

Cons: The buttons are very small, but couldn't be any bigger. The manual sucks. better to just search the web. Some of the things in the manual are wrong (see below). The squelch is too strong on #1. I think smaller graduations of squelching would be nice. I never have it higher than 1.

Notes: The first time you use it with the software save a backup of the stuff that came on the radio. Before using the software notice the menu item in red. You can't read it, but the top choice is Chinese the bottom is English. Be sure to select English. When you do that your software will be readable and you won't accidentally change your radio to chinese. many have done this. If you have a problem reset the radio. The method in the radio manual does not work. You need to hold menu down while turning the radio on. Then follow he directions in the manual.

I like mine quite a bit and use it daily. I like that I can check the weather radio easily, too.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2013, 02:49:00 AM »

You get what you pay for.  There are many other threads on this site that list multiple pros (not that many) and cons (seemingly more) of such units.  I had experience with one of the older ones that lead me to believe that these rigs are nothing but junk, but YMMV.  73.
KO3D

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2013, 07:08:43 PM »

If you aren't using repeaters often I highly recommend the Baofeng UV5-R. I've gotten two through Amazon and I have almost no complaints (menus are quirky) as I bought the cable. Mine are well constructed and have good range. For $45 you can't go wrong.
W8EDV

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2013, 11:25:19 PM »

For $42.86 you can get the Baofeng UV B5 it's an amazing hand held dual band radio.  Full powered, 5 watts or 1 watt and you can tune weather,  bands etc. Battery lasts all day, the receiver is right up there with a Yaesu FT-60 , I've checked both side by side.  The Baofeng works, and it works well....  If you get tired of it , either throw it out or give it to a new ham as a gift .   Where can you buy a brand new dual band hand held that works very well, comes complete with charger, battery, antenna, etc for  $42.86 with free shipping to your door?    Get them on Ebay..
W4KVW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2013, 05:31:08 PM »

I have TWO of the UV-5R HT's & like them very much.I have the programming cable & get GREAT output audio reports with them.I have the high capacity battery on one of them & it will last a couple of days with ease with moderate usage.I have seen them on the wb for under $40 including shipping.They also make a 2 meter/220 mhz model that is sold only at Radiomart.com should you want or need the 220 mhz band.  Grin   Cheesy   Smiley  {:>)

Clayton
W4KVW 
KF7VXA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2013, 08:05:07 AM »

I'd spend a little more money and get a Wouxun. I have both a Baofeng and the Wouxun and they are like night and day, the Wouxun is so much better.
You can get free programming from Powerworx which is some of the easiest programming I have ever done on a hand held.
The quality of the Wouxun is far better, the stock antenna is better and battery life with the 1700 Mha battery is very long.
The Baofeg feels just plain cheap next to the Wouxun and is harder to program.
Just my 2 cents, but I wish I had never bought the Baofeg even though it was cheaper.
It now sits in my vehicle that does not have a radio installed for those times that I forget to bring the Wouxun.
You do get what you pay for. The Wouxun is still not as good as my Yaesu, but it's the closest of the chicom radios I have found.

My Best, John
KT0DD

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2013, 10:17:13 AM »

I agree with KF7VXA...get the Wouxun. Import Communications has 2 very good models, KGUV2D - @$125, and KGUV6D V2-@$175.

I have had both, sold the Baofeng & stayed with Wouxun. The Baofeng had a couple of quirks that drove me nuts. The dual receive function kept switching the TX function without me telling it to so I kept finding myself on the wrong frequency. The feature to force the TX to one band didn't work very well as it locked out any adjustment to the other band when it was on.

I also use full CTCSS on RX & TX. If the repeater tone was 136.5 or lower, it would not stop on a signal when in scanning mode. I like full CTCSS as I get a lot of random noise which CTCSS eliminated. These are known quirks with most Baofengs.

Wouxuns are more straight-forward in operation although still not as intuitive as the "Big 3". If you don't expect them to work like a Japanese rig and are willing to learn the Chinese way of programming, they're not that hard to program. Also, the TX/RX audio is much better on the Wouxuns.

73. T0dd - KT0DD
AA9G

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2013, 06:12:48 AM »

Best $60 I ever spent and the battery lasts FOREVER...

Ex KC9EEV.
KA5IWO

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2013, 03:04:29 PM »

Someone stated " the receiver is right up there with a Yaesu FT-60 ".
Yes the FT-60 is a nice little ht, but much to my amazment the Baofeng UV-5R
has better sensitivity on 146 and 440. Also hears the public service bands way better than the FT-60. I am sure it probably would croak in a high strong RF environment, but where I am
I can hear signals that the FT-60r will not even pick up. I can barely hear the NOAA on 162.400 with the FT-60r, the UV-5R hears it full quieting.
Without looking up the FT-60 specs, its highest sensitivity is probably peaked for the 146 / 440 ham bands. Apparently the UV-5R has a wide broadband rf front end.
Knock on wood, I can say the UV-5R is worth the $40.00 price. Its tough to program unless
you use the software, but sometimes the big 3 brands can get confusing when manually programming them.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: