Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Remote via phone  (Read 17502 times)
WB2DSH

Ignore
« on: October 09, 2013, 01:57:28 PM »

I've been working on and off on a design to remote base my station using my cellphone.
I call the home line, my design detects my cell's caller id and picks up.
I then control my radio using dtmf on my cell - mobile without the big antenna.
I've been contemplating manufacturing a few and selling them, but not sure if the demand is worth the trouble.
There are other ways to do this, but I like how mine works.

So I'm looking for a show of interest and maybe a few beta users - I'll give out a few free ones for the feedback and for people to talk it up.
I may bring some with me to Near Fest in NH this Saturday.
Thanks - Brian WB2DSH
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 09:38:20 PM »

You will be competing against this: http://www.remoteshack.com/
WB2DSH

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2013, 07:04:11 AM »

I know about remoteshack - but I had this designed before it came out so the design work is already done.
Anyway, remoteshack is a bit expensive and has no caller ID detection as far as I know. 
The caller ID feature allows it to easily share a phone line and ignores all calls except yours.
I figure I could make these in batches of 25 or 50 and sell them for under $200 if the interest was there.

I'd be happy to share additional info and - as I said - give out a couple of them to people that would give it a good work out so I can refine the software.
W5ZZT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2013, 09:11:05 PM »

I just sold my remoteshack.  Doing remote by cell phone is not practical in most cases.   I use sprint here in Dallas, Tx.  When I first got my remoteshack it worked great with my android phone.  Then Sprint decided to use some DSP processing in their system.  It see the noise on HF as something it needs to get rid of.  After a few seconds on the HF bands all audio is gone because of this.  Weak stations cannot be heard.  I could hit a DTMF tone and get a few seconda of audio back.

I spoke with John who developed the system and this seems to be a common problem he runs into.

The system did work well from a landline.  Another option was skype but the voip over a cell phone connection is not the best.

I would consider this before you spend too much time developing something.
WB2DSH

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2013, 11:12:13 AM »

I'm actually finding it quite practical.  I have Sprint as well and I'm aware that poor SNR will cause the audio to cut out.  But, my goal was to improve my mobile (in car) operating experience and these weak signals would not be heard at all in a mobile setup due to engine noise.  Also, it would be impossible to contact a weak station due to the low ERP of the mobile antenna - especially on 75/160 meters.  Though it isn't the same as operating at the desk, it works way better than my previous mobile operation and I don't have to deal with a big-ass screwdriver antenna.

I designed this for myself but will make a few for those interested.  The design is implemented on a small PWB and the software is getting better and better.  If remoteshack was around a few years ago, I would have done that and saved myself the work.  However, I think my design has the advantage of caller ID selectivity, which makes it easy to share the line and simplify connecting.

I just sold my remoteshack.  Doing remote by cell phone is not practical in most cases.   I use sprint here in Dallas, Tx.  When I first got my remoteshack it worked great with my android phone.  Then Sprint decided to use some DSP processing in their system.  It see the noise on HF as something it needs to get rid of.  After a few seconds on the HF bands all audio is gone because of this.  Weak stations cannot be heard.  I could hit a DTMF tone and get a few seconda of audio back.

I spoke with John who developed the system and this seems to be a common problem he runs into.

The system did work well from a landline.  Another option was skype but the voip over a cell phone connection is not the best.

I would consider this before you spend too much time developing something.
W5ZZT

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2013, 03:03:01 AM »

Sounds good but I don't think you will every get 100 percent past the DSP in some phones.  I did have phones that worked well with the remoteshack.  It was when I switch to the iphone that I had the problem. I did briefly switch back to my android phone and again it worked fine. 

I also have another system by Glenn engineering and it has the same issues.  If the cell company sees the white noise/status that you hear on all HF signal the DSP will see it as something it needs to take out.  The remoteshack is really a quality made product.  It is flawless calling from a landline.  It has tons of features but is pricey.

The cell service works great with the remoteshack in some areas.  It sounds like it would work fine where you are.  I just don't think a product like that can be sold to work everywhere.  That's why John gives a 30 day money back refund.  It was just after that when I switch phones.

Anyway, have fun with yours.  Like I said I have tried 2 systems and I am done.
W5ZZT

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2013, 03:06:01 AM »

One thing I forgot to mention is I took a trip from Dallas to the other side of Houston, Tx.  Once I got out of the Dallas area the Remoteshack worked great.  I was hooked up with Bluetooth and listened to it through the car radio.  Drove the wife nuts.  He made me turn it off after a while Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: