Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Charging Yaesu FT-60R HT  (Read 3723 times)
KF5UQJ

Ignore
« on: April 02, 2013, 06:25:21 PM »

My new Yaesu FT-60R HT runs on nominal 7.2V DC but it came with a 12V output charger. How do I know how long to charge it without overcharging the battery and damaging it or shortening its life cycles?
SWMAN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 06:38:29 AM »

My FT-60 came with a 12 volt charger also and they call it the" overnight charger" in the manual. My manual says to charge it overnight, no hours are given. I charge it 8 to 10 hours and no problems here at all. Look at the manual a bit closer, it talks about in there.   73, Jim   W5JJG
PS: there is a zenier diode in the radio that keeps the charge at 7.2 volts for the battery. Smiley
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 06:41:37 AM by SWMAN » Logged
KF5UQJ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 09:53:06 AM »

Thanks SWMAN! My battery showed 7.2 charge right out of the box. After a couple of days use the low battery indicator came on at 5+ some odd volts. I charged it for about 2.5 hours, unplugged it and turned on the radio, it was reading 8.1 volts already so I was concerned about overcharging. The battery was marked as a 7.2v so I wasn't sure what the proper charge level was having come with a 12v charger. The 10 hour charge was listed for a "completely discharged" battery so I didn't know if a partially charged battery could handle a full 10 hours. I'd feel better if the manual clarified all of this.

If anyone else wants to chime in feel free.
KU7PDX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 11:04:59 AM »

I haven't checked a schematic to be absolutely certain, but I was told that the FT-60R will automatically limit charging of the battery once it is full. I took the AC adapter and used the cable to connect it directly to my 12v power supply (and just leave it connected) and have had no charging issues and have the same performance since the day I bought it 7 years ago.

Chris - KU7PDX
KF5UQJ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013, 12:38:11 PM »

I haven't checked a schematic to be absolutely certain, but I was told that the FT-60R will automatically limit charging of the battery once it is full. I took the AC adapter and used the cable to connect it directly to my 12v power supply (and just leave it connected) and have had no charging issues and have the same performance since the day I bought it 7 years ago.

Wow! 7 years sounds like a sufficient battery test to me! I'll charge it overnight next time and see what the voltage shows then at power on. Sounds like I don't have anything to worry about though. I knew there were a lot of these units out there and someone here would have long term experience with one.
Thanks again to all!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: