Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Old School  (Read 2420 times)
K8DFI

Ignore
« on: April 01, 2013, 07:35:53 PM »

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z183/kg4tyr/ARRL.jpg

David
K8DFI
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 09:18:01 PM »

Surely you're not calling 1960 "Old School" are you?

K9MRD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 08:22:53 AM »

Surely you're not calling 1960 "Old School" are you?

Gosh, I hope not!  That was the first ARRL Handbook I ever owned and I still have it on my shelf!  I had been a ham for 2 years when that book was published.  The contents is certainly NOT old school. Smiley

Wayne
Old Timer - I guess.....
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, 08:38:37 AM »

Old School?? Hell that's modern technology.KG4TYR must be a generation X'er or something Smiley
K8DFI

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013, 09:26:26 AM »

Well, I was only 3 years old when this book was published. It was my grandfathers, who passed away 12 years ago. He was K8DFI, located in Martin, MI.

David
K8DFI
WN2C

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2013, 09:30:51 AM »

Well, I was only 3 years old when this book was published. It was my grandfathers, who passed away 12 years ago. He was K8DFI, located in Martin, MI.

And you have not put in for his call??  It is available!

Rick  wn2c
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2013, 10:07:42 AM »

And you have not put in for his call??  It is available!

Rick:  Concur!  It's my understanding that the FCC plans to reissue old calls.  Now would be the time for TYR to get it.  It would be a shame to let it get away.
K8DFI

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2013, 10:28:22 AM »

I have thought about it. But I am just now getting active in the hobby. Not to mention after listening to my grandfather for decades, it is mush easier to say K8DFI than KG4TYR. Grin

David
K8DFI
K9AIM

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2013, 10:30:41 AM »

your QRZ.com pages under the 'details' tab suggests:

Quote from: QRZ.com
QRZ Admin   KG4TYR
Last Update   2011-02-18 17:31:07
Class   Technician Codes: HAI
Effective   2005-12-06
Expires   2012-06-24
Notice   This license expires soon. Click here https://ssl.qrz.com/vec to renew online...

see: http://www.qrz.com/db/KG4TYR

To get your grandfather's call I think you would need to upgrade to General, unless you are one of the Technicians licensed early enough to qualify for an automatic upgrade to General  Huh (maybe someone on this forum who knows the drill can help out here...)
K9AIM

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2013, 10:35:59 AM »

Here is a thread regarding which technicians qualify for an automatic upgrade to General:
http://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,88899.0.html

I think you can renew your present expired license as long as it is within two years...

to do so, go here: https://ssl.qrz.com/vec

It looks like the above site charges $8 to make it easier.

You can also renew online at the FCC site for free:
http://wireless.fcc.gov/services/index.htm?job=cft&id=amateur&page=cft_summary
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 10:41:24 AM by K9AIM » Logged
K8DFI

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2013, 10:53:04 AM »

I have renewed, it was posted yesterday. I can't upgrade without taking the general exam and Morse Code. Can I just ask to change to his old license?

David
K8DFI
K9AIM

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2013, 11:27:19 AM »

I have renewed, it was posted yesterday. I can't upgrade without taking the general exam and Morse Code. Can I just ask to change to his old license?

There are no longer any code requirement for any license class.  My understanding was you have to be a General class or higher to get a 1x3 call  but I will let someone who really knows the rules weigh in...

The way I understand it, if you have proof of having held a Technician class license prior to March 21, 1987 -- you get a free upgrade to General (no exam required). The FCC no longer has the records so you have to have a copy of an old license or a copy of a callbook listing showing you held a Tech license before that date. There are folks here who may have the old callbook and can look you up if you need them to.

Rob K9AIM
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2013, 12:20:52 PM »

1) The code requirements for all classes of US amateur license disappeared more than 6 years ago. All you need to upgrade to General is Element 3 (the General written test). The test is not difficult and requires only 74% correct to pass.

2) If you held a Technician before March 21, 1987, and can prove it with documentation, you can get a no-test upgrade to General if you hold a Technician today. (From your postings I doubt this applies to you).

3) You can get a 1x3 vanity call such as K8DFI as a Technician, General, Advanced or Extra. You have to apply through the vanity call process and there's a nominal fee (less than $15 IIRC).

73 de Jim, N2EY (not a vanity call)
K8DFI

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2013, 12:27:35 PM »

1) The code requirements for all classes of US amateur license disappeared more than 6 years ago. All you need to upgrade to General is Element 3 (the General written test). The test is not difficult and requires only 74% correct to pass.

2) If you held a Technician before March 21, 1987, and can prove it with documentation, you can get a no-test upgrade to General if you hold a Technician today. (From your postings I doubt this applies to you).

I didn't realize code wasn't required at all anymore. I guess I'll just study for the Element 3 exam. I will probably learn code just for the fun of it.

3) You can get a 1x3 vanity call such as K8DFI as a Technician, General, Advanced or Extra. You have to apply through the vanity call process and there's a nominal fee (less than $15 IIRC).

I didn't realize code wasn't required anymore. I guess I'll just study for the Element 3 exam. I will probably learn code for the fun of it anyway.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 12:32:20 PM by KG4TYR » Logged

David
K8DFI
K9AIM

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2013, 02:26:27 PM »

I didn't realize code wasn't required anymore. I guess I'll just study for the Element 3 exam. I will probably learn code for the fun of it anyway.

fun is the one requirement if you plan to learn code  Cool

And thanks Jim (N2EY) for the correction -- you do qualify to apply for and get your grandfather's call as a Technician.

73, Rob K9AIM
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: