Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: QSO Analysis Software  (Read 1351 times)
WH7DX

Ignore
« on: April 02, 2013, 06:58:55 PM »

I had a thread in Elmers but this is more appropriate.  

I need some input.

I was using N1MM for everything (Contest and General Logging).  It was working until it became hard to keep track of Confirmed QSLs - whether by Card or LOTW.

I've setup DX Keeper and I'm going to use that for my General Logging and Award Tracking.

I'm looking for tools that analyze logs for contacts you need or to get a clear picture.

I also use Clublog which has good visual information but no WAS or other data beyond the basic.

I would like to see WAS information by bands and Countries worked etc.

I guess I could create a new database in DK Keeper and input N1MM file to analyze using Awards.

What do you guys use?

I found TR4W which has some nice information that I can copy and paste and keep in format...  

- Band Changes, QSO by hour and band / Countries worked with %, who you would multiple times etc.

I also found this website that creates a map of where you worked for a simple visual.    I did a print screen and pasted into PhotoShop to save as JPG.

Check - Station Info and put your Grid Location in My Locator Field.

http://tools.adventureradio.de/analyzer/

Any other tools..  especially with WAS info.   For some reason DX Keeper only shows 2 States worked in my WPX ADIF uploaded into separate database but has them correct in my main file?

Thank you,

Bryan
WH7DX
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 07:15:43 PM by WH7DX » Logged
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 07:42:02 PM »

You're on the right track with DX Keeper. I use DX Base and have since 2004 so I'm intimately familiar with its workings but for someone just coming into DXing now, I'd say the entire DX Lab Suite is a great place to start. It's overwhelmingly powerful and has a learning curve as steep as Mt. Everest, but once conquered it's probably the best set of apps on the market. it will allow you to slice and dice your QSO data, see real-time progress toward your goals and much more goodness. And it's completely free, of course. You'll get great support if you go with the entire DX Lab Suite, both from its creator (Dave, AA6YQ) and an online group

But as I said, for me it's DX Base. I prefer its user interface, certain preferences and look-and-feel are extremely comfortable. Its downside is that it hasn't been significantly revised since 2005 and is showing its age. It does a lot of things right but has some glaring holes as well. DX Base also has superb analytics but it's missing interfaces to Clublog, eQSL and LoTW -- LoTW connectivity is rudimentary at best.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
N7SMI

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 07:45:19 PM »

I use Ham Radio Deluxe. The logbook program has most of the functionality you're looking for. The new awards tracking is very easy to use - shows you what you've worked, what you need to work, what you need to QSL, what you've QSLd but haven't yet received back, etc. All of the major awards programs are in there. For example, it takes just a few seconds to see exactly what you need for WAS for mixed, modes, bands, Triple Play, etc.

I also use a highly customized version of Cloudlog to create an online logbook that has mapping, zones, grid squares, etc. - http://smithplanet.com/logbook

I still use N1MM for contest logging, then import the ADIF into HRD. The only thing you discussed that HRD doesn't have is good contest log analysis, but there are plenty of other tools that can do that.
KA1J

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 07:01:57 AM »

I use Logic 9 http://www.hosenose.com/ and it pretty well does what you want. Its award tracking features are really helpful and the spot log works seamlessly with the database. If you're a casual contester it has contesting log screens like your daily screen so the learning curve is not steep. Since you use N1MM, just import your N1MM ADIF into Logic & merge to update your logic log; Logic updates the awards table in seconds and you can immediately view/print your award data.

I've been using Logic since either V1 or V2 back in the early 90s and there is so much it does I don't even know about; I have no need to know the other areas for it does what the user wants & the rest is for another user to customize their way. I'm into DXing and CW contests and I have Logic set up the way I like it. Being able to customize Logic to your personal interests & then have it follow your data entry preference is slick. That's one of the nicest features for me. It's nice to be able to see which LOTW I have fulfilled I need cards in or vise versa. I just went to LOTW and submitted for the first time since 1992 for 9 bands of DXCC and Logic takes all of 20 seconds including selecting the filter features for my log to demonstrate exactly which cards I now have to submit for DXCC that were not available on LOTW and it's spot on.

There's a demo but I haven't tried it but like any of the software out there, there is a learning experience that goes with it. I just like that it is an all in one package. The only optional software I bought that logic integrates with is DX Atlas. Apparently the writers collaborated to allow seamless integration and it's a nice adjunct, especially the gray line & visual info for a DX station you enter in Logics call field.

Good luck in your search & 73,

Gary
KA1J
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013, 07:06:25 AM »

I've also been using Logic for years. Its great.
N2RJ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2013, 08:36:24 AM »

Best tool I've seen for analyzing your wanted/worked/needed ones was ClubLog.

I use ham radio deluxe but you have to keep updating the country files and it doesn't have all the exceptions. ClubLog keeps track of this beautifully.

It's how I managed to QSL nearly everything I've worked.
WH7DX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2013, 12:22:44 PM »

Thanks guys.   I wasn't aware of Logic.   I was aware of HRD.

Concerning Clublog.. great visuals and you can import confirmed LOTW but no eQSL and the only info break-down is really DXCC by bands (not States or other info).   They have their specific service in mind and I enjoy using it as a simple and colorful aid.   I suggested to Michael they add more and create a one stop shop for QSL analysis and qso backup.   Get those not satisfied with their logging program analysis features.   Put in a check box or two for QSLs confirmed.   I enjoy N1MM and the speed.

What are you guy using to look at your contest logs after your done with the contest... Creating a database just for the contest in Logic, HRD etc.. and using award info to see States worked / DXCC and other stuff?

I think most analyze what they did and was wondering how they did it (in house Logging program or outside tools?). 

I liked that Internet Map feature I posted, showing QSO locations around the world.   

Any cool tools like that?
N2RJ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2013, 12:46:54 PM »

Michael and I talked about a few things including enhancements to the site etc. I wanted to do some stuff in my own projects and also help out the site. But it looks like he's pretty busy these days, so I haven't really followed up with him. If you have any feature suggestions, I'd suggest contacting him. He's pretty open to suggestions. He also does have realtime upload to the site.

WH7DX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2013, 01:04:30 PM »

Roger,

I sent Michael quite a bit of stuff.   If this was a larger market, I'd probably do something myself and try and become a one stop shop for QSO/QSL analysis.. in a master file or incoming contest file with complete break-downs, maps.. basically the best of the best and incorporate it all in one location like Clublog - and provide immediate data backup (multiple dates) for a small fee.

Color, charts, maps, LOTW, eQSL, a service to those without the proper QSL info / Awards, LOTW / eQSL uploads AND a benefit to those who already do with superior visuals and data backup outside of their computer.    WAS, and other International specific awards.. JA etc..

The domain name..  www.hamqsldb.com is available... db being "data base" of course.

eqsldata.com  -   eqsodata.com  -   qsodb.com & qsldb.com are available.

hamcrunch.com

hamtastic.com is taken...  Smiley

N2RJ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2013, 05:05:34 PM »

I'm working on a secret iOS project right now, but I need to name it... ham radio related and I believe it has the potential to become something great.  Grin
WH7DX

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2013, 05:41:14 PM »

Good to hear..  give us or me a hint...   Grin

The more tools available the better... 

Voice Recognition Call Sign Software...  that would REALLY help me!!   Shocked
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2013, 06:24:29 PM »

I also found this website that creates a map of where you worked for a simple visual.

DXKeeper will plot your QSOs on DXView's world map, or on the DX Atlas world map. You can filter by band or mode or worked vs. confirmed or...

Any other tools..  especially with WAS info.   For some reason DX Keeper only shows 2 States worked in my WPX ADIF uploaded into separate database but has them correct in my main file?

DXKeeper provides a WAS progress report. It also includes a customizable MultiWAS script that shows your WAS progress on each band, and in each mode.

Note that some contest applications do not export information like STATE in the standard ADIF field.

Dave, AA6YQ
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: