Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lcd screen "bleeding"  (Read 4088 times)
KC4YJI

Ignore
« on: April 03, 2013, 05:54:36 AM »

Anyone know if it is possible to fix "bleeding" on the display of a radio.  I searched on eHam and came up with nothing, although it may be called something else.  I don't mind doing the research, I just don't know what to search for.  It is a case of not knowing enough to know what to ask.  Thanks

Scott, KC4YJI
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 06:08:12 AM »

The seal between the front and back glass is compromised.  There is no fix and it will only get worse.  If you're lucky it's just the one you have and and the next one you get new or from a salvaged radio may last.  Try and find one now, because these things go obsolete quickly and sometimes your only option will be another radio just like it.  If this is a common problem they'll get rare to unobtanium in a hurry.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
KA4POL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 06:39:31 AM »

May be you could mention which radio you are talking about.
If it is the backplane it might be fixed by carefully tapping on the screen close to the area of concern. But most likely it is a permanent failure.
If you got a chance to post a picture it would certainly be helpful.
KC4YJI

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 06:56:40 AM »

I don't have any particular radio that has this problem.  But I have had them in the past.  Icom 02at,  Yaesu FT-5100, for example.  These were not so bad that you could not use them.  I see radios all the time that have this problem and was just wondering if there was a fix.  I prefer the older radios that have a real mic connector.  A rj-45 just does not last very long while run mobile.  Whenever I buy a used radio I usually replace any burnt out bulbs with leds, and thought if there were a fix I could do that while I had the radio apart.
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013, 08:21:16 AM »

It's pretty hit and miss.  I'd attribute the problem to consumer grade/cheapest source but I've seen it happen on $10 LCD clocks and $2000 commercial radios.  If it's a popular enough radio sometimes the manufacturer will do another run of displays and you can buy an improved replacement but with ham radios I wouldn't expect that.  They're invariably model specific and once stock is gone they're gone, and your only source is to scavenge one from another unit.  If you have the time and energy you can re-engineer the unit with a new display and hardware to operate it like this guy did for the Icom 756.

http://www.pdatechcenter.nl/ham/

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2013, 01:59:40 PM »

There is an occasional problem that many think is bleeding but is not. 

If the screen is darkened, or appears to bleeding all over the entire surface rather than in just one area or so, take a hard look at the DC supply line that drives the display for AC ripple.  Could be due to a bad electrolytic or a bad ground solder joint on a three-terminal regulator.  And an easy fix.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: