Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: security system for the home/shack?  (Read 6601 times)
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2013, 10:08:57 AM »

RZP & SWMAN:  I concur!  I feel that any pizza sheet that steals from someone else deserves anything they get. 
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2013, 01:32:26 PM »

AXW,

Just remember I'm a woolly minded sandal wearing liberal...although some question the exact degree of 'liberal'.
VE3FMC

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2013, 03:56:17 AM »

I am glad I live in a good neighborhood.  Wink I live on a busy street but there is rarely any crime on my street. Been here since 1984 and have never had anything stolen. whether it be outside or inside.

K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2013, 08:16:55 AM »

FMC:  I'm also very fortunate in that respect too OM.  For the most part, the only crime we have in our town is from "outsiders."  This includes college kids from out of state, which did cause me one problem a few years ago, and the influx of people from the Baltimore area who has loved ones in one of the 3 local prisons. 

WB6DGN

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2013, 07:19:57 PM »

If you have insurance (you do have home owners insurance?) then your equipment would be replaced if it is stolen. It will be replaced with new radios etc.
I have had antennas up for 21 years and have not had any break ins.

VE3FMC,
You obviously have not had any dealings with insurance companies, at least in USA.  Here, one measures ones success in terms of minimizing ones loss; one never even dreams of "breaking even".  That "new radio" that you fantasize about will likely be the cheapest old beater that the insurance company can come up with and then, they'll want you to pay a hefty "deductable" on top of that.  And, as if that isn't enough, THEN they'll DROP YOUR COVERAGE without so much as a "have a nice day".
Tom
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2013, 01:39:37 AM »

It seems most insurance companies are very loathe to pay up on genuine claims. When I was told that I could not replace my cooker until an assessor had been and that would be two weeks away, I told them what to do with their policy and cancelled.

They still have the impudence to telephone every so often to try to get me to insure the house and contents with them.....
VE3FMC

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2013, 05:24:34 AM »

If you have insurance (you do have home owners insurance?) then your equipment would be replaced if it is stolen. It will be replaced with new radios etc.
I have had antennas up for 21 years and have not had any break ins.

VE3FMC,
You obviously have not had any dealings with insurance companies, at least in USA.  Here, one measures ones success in terms of minimizing ones loss; one never even dreams of "breaking even".  That "new radio" that you fantasize about will likely be the cheapest old beater that the insurance company can come up with and then, they'll want you to pay a hefty "deductable" on top of that.  And, as if that isn't enough, THEN they'll DROP YOUR COVERAGE without so much as a "have a nice day".
Tom

Tom sorry to hear your insurance companies operate the way you described. I know how my insurance company operates, so I am not concerned.

I have "Replacement Cost" included in my home owners insurance. Meaning the company has to replace whatever was destroyed in a fire, or theft.

So they would not be replacing my radios with junkers, they would be replacing them with new radios. If the current radios I have were no longer manufactured then the radios would be replaced with current models.

Same goes for my contents of my home. Oh and the deductible is not huge either. Considering I have never had a home owners claim I doubt I would be dumped. I had a claim of $7000 for damage to my truck, I did not have to pay the $1000 deductible, and I am still insured by that company. Companies drop customers that are constantly putting in claims.
N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2013, 10:52:11 AM »

I got a nice deal on a Samsung security system from TigerDirect.  Mine is not a wireless system, but those were available too.  I replaced my old system with the Samsung system and the difference is amazing.  I installed my original system because of a neighbor issue.  And it quickly resulted in the conviction of one of the neighborhood troublemakers for shooting at my house with a BB gun.  They don't dare tresspass anymore.  Money well spent.
WB6DGN

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2013, 02:16:03 PM »

Tom sorry to hear your insurance companies operate the way you described. I know how my insurance company operates, so I am not concerned.

Well, my information WAS second hand, based on information from others, mostly at work, as, in over 50 years I have never had to deal with one of those companies (I just KNOW I shouldn't be saying this!!), so I don't have all the details but they are people I consider to be reliable.
I was involved in an automobile accident, the other driver acknowledged responsibility, there was never any challenge to my claim and I STILL insist that I lost well over $2000 in that fiasco due to disagreement over the valid "replacement cost" of my vehicle, and it was a total loss not to mention the contents that "mysteriously" disappeared while in the storage yard.  And this after I freely acknowledged that I had no medical injuries in an effort to try to deal with the other driver in a fair manner.  So, its not very likely that my mind can be changed about dealing with the pit of snakes, er, insurance companies.

As for alarm systems, yes, I've used them.  I cancelled the service a couple years ago after an alarming (pun NOT intended) number of newspaper articles about police shooting the homeowner's dog/dogs because the wuss 'felt threatened".  For cryin' out loud, they're going onto the dog's property, dogs are territorial, dogs defend their territory, THAT'S HOW THEY'RE MADE! There are effective devices and techniques available to mitigate this hazard but NO, the wannabe cowboys would rather "play with their guns" at the expense of an innocent dog.  So I decided that my dogs were safer with the intruder than they were with the police and I got rid of the alarm system.  I now have the video surveillance type of system that doesn't notify anyone with the video sent to multiple locations so it cannot be lost if the equipment at the house is damaged and I'll have nice, clear pictures to turn over to the authorities while keeping my dogs safe.
Tom
VE3FMC

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2013, 03:32:35 PM »

Tom I do know of one ham up this way that put in a claim for $10,000 for a tower, rotor and beam that came down during a violent windstorm. the insurance company settled then cancelled his policy. But I am pretty sure it was not his first claim with them.

When my 2010 F-150 Super Crew was hit by a guy driving a stolen car my insurance company waved my $1000 deductible. My truck was legally parked on the side of a street and this clown came down the street, veered over onto the side the truck was parked on and ran head on into it. In no way was this accident my fault (actually my wife, she had the truck that day) The bill came to $7000 and my insurance company paid up and never contacted me at all during the repair, other than to tell me they were waving the deductible.

I have never really worried about break ins. I have never had anything stolen from my yard, my utility sheds. As I said maybe I live in a good neighborhood.  Grin Or it might be due to the fact I live on a very busy street.

Hey many years ago my parents didn't bother to lock their old farm house. But that was many many years ago when people were more honest.
W0DV

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2013, 07:05:04 PM »

I try to be ready for the scum bag who tries to enter my home, and steal from me. The answer is a couple of friends of mine..SMITH, and WESSON.

Great pals
VE3FMC

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2013, 05:35:39 AM »

I try to be ready for the scum bag who tries to enter my home, and steal from me. The answer is a couple of friends of mine..SMITH, and WESSON.

Great pals

Works great when you are home. (does not work in Canada, different laws)

Most thieves, at least the smart ones wait until you are not home to break in.
KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2013, 11:32:02 AM »

if you already have a security system (like a honeywell based unit with low range RF senders) it is not a hard undertaking to put a door alarm and/or a movement alarm sender in a remote shack, along with a sticker on the door.  keep it locked.

there are two classes of burglar... the meth-head or punk who is rattling knobs and looking for concealed windows they can break... and the targeting professional crook who is going to get in no matter what.

the local police, Internet searches, etc. will help you defeat the knob rattlers and copper thieves.

big loud dogs and insurance riders will cover the latter.

I am staying out of the "large caliber" argument because there are risks on both sides.  however, I do have a 9mm in case society breaks down, etc.  do NOT have two years of dried peas, though.
W0DV

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2013, 07:26:07 PM »

If my camera fails to alert me to an intruder, there is always my dog. In a pinch there is always lead poisoning via a projectile from a .357 magnum.
Unlike some hams, I have never been convicted of a felony, so I can legally own a firearm, and follow the laws of the state I live in, to protect myself, and my family.
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2013, 02:59:08 AM »

Open internet forums such as this are an excellent resource for potential home intruders/burglars to assess your home protection methods and thus plan accordingly."the element of surprise is......." Sun Tzu-The Art of War.
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: