Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cigarette Smell on Equipment  (Read 2165 times)
W1PDI

Ignore
« on: April 04, 2013, 05:00:56 PM »

I just purchased a used piece of equipment and it smells badly of cigarette smoke. How can I loose that smell? It's bad.

Thanks,

W1PDI
N0ZNA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 06:23:03 PM »

put in a plastic garbage bag and a drier sheet...73 de n0zna
K2OWK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 09:39:54 PM »

Clean it with Fabreeze and Fantastic.

73s

K2OWK
TANAKASAN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 10:55:10 PM »

Put the rig in a box together with an ozone generator.

Tanakasan
WB2EOD

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 10:58:29 PM »

The plastic bag/dryer sheet solution works pretty well, it may take some time and a few changes of the dryer sheets. Try an open box of baking soda instead of dryer sheets
In less severe cases I have had some success with just taking the chassis out of the cabinet and letting it "air out" outside the house for a few hours.  
If the former owner smoked cigars or a pipe, you can pretty much forget about ever getting it clean.

Hope this helps
WB2EOD
N7BMW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2013, 11:08:22 PM »

Put the rig in a box together with an ozone generator.

Tanakasan

With all due respect to TANAKASAN, ozone is a highly corrosive gas.  It would damage to the radio.
AE5QB

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2013, 03:38:55 AM »

+1 for Fabreeze.  Smoke is a very hard smell to get out of anything.  I bought a Radio Shack HTX-202 and forgot to ask about smoking.  As soon as I opened the box I said, "Oh crap,"  the smell was terrible.  I took it all apart and scrubbed it down inside and out with Windex and that helped but didn't take it all out.  I then soaked the cabinet parts in a tray of Fabreeze for two days.  That helped even more.  The last issue was the rubber ducky antenna.  The smell was so set into the rubber I thought I would never get rid of it.  I ended up soaking the antenna (less BNC connector) in Fabreeze for 5 full days.  Even today if I hold it right under my nose I can still smell the smoke but it is tolerable in everyday use.  Be careful about what electronic components if any you submerge.  I would just wipe them with a rag or use the sealed bag methods recommended above. It is a tough issue and I no longer buy anything from smokers.  I am not mean spirited, I just cannot tolerate the smell and don't want it in my house.  Good luck on your project.

W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2013, 03:49:36 AM »

Mild solution of Simple Green on outside /inside of case(Q-Tips for tight spots) it gets rid of the tar film, then mothballs on inside for a few days.Take out mothballs,and smell(mothball) will go away in a few days.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2013, 10:23:15 AM »

What determines what works and what doesn't work depends on how long the item was subjected to cigarette smoke, if it's solid state, hybrid or tube type gear, if it is something that generates heat and if so, does it has a fan that circulates cooling air.

I've worked on equipment that was so crudded up with smoke tar that components couldn't be identified!  I'm talking THICK, STICKY brown s..t here.  The ONLY way to deal with this is to completely hose it down with a fast evaporating commercial cleaner. 

Then you go to the easier solutions like those mentioned above.

Ever since those days, I smell EVERY previously owned thing that I buy, including autos and when I can't smell it, I make sure I ask.  I've been down that road tooooo many times!

KF5UQJ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2013, 09:52:12 PM »

Try putting it in a bag with some roasted coffee beans for awhile.
WB6DGN

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2013, 09:33:31 PM »

After 50+ years of working on two ways from police cars, utility trucks and every other kind of commercial vehicle, I never notice what the equipment smells like.  Only thing that used to make me nervous is when a handheld (or pager) would come in with "water damage".  Time for the latex gloves!
Tom
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: