Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: K-3 w/Signalink & Cocoa  (Read 3050 times)
N4HAL

Ignore
« on: April 05, 2013, 10:32:50 AM »

Just got all this hooked up and have one problem. On transmit into a dummy load I am apparently spattering all over. Have power at 10 watts, mike input to rear of set with mike gain down and Signalink TX down. Can't seem to get audio down low enough? Display goes into yellow and orange on transmit across a wide spectrum. Suggestions?
I am brand new to digital-receive mode looks ok and software seems acceptable.

Bill
N4HAL
K2DC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2013, 08:01:43 AM »

Bill,

I wouldn't worry about it unless someone tells you you're splattering.  The software is simply responding to what the soundcard is putting out.  It has no idea what the settings on the Signalink and rig are, and has no way to monitor what's actually transmitted.  What you're seeing is probably normal.  I'm using AirLink Express with a Rigblaster, and my display does the same thing.

Don, K2DC

N4HAL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2013, 08:14:24 AM »

Thanks for the input, just didn't want to blast the neighborhood away.

Awaiting bad reports......

Bill
VA7CPC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 10:50:09 PM »

The rule for "no splatter" is very simple:

. . . Adjust the TX audio drive, using the computer-resident software and/or the interface, so the rig shows _no_ ALC action on transmit.

That works for just about every rig, and every soundcard / interface.

And -- until you have things set up and stable -- _ask_ whether you have any visible sidebands on PSK31.  The answer should be "no".

.             Charles
K3DCW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2013, 04:28:01 PM »

The rule for "no splatter" is very simple:

. . . Adjust the TX audio drive, using the computer-resident software and/or the interface, so the rig shows _no_ ALC action on transmit.

That works for just about every rig, and every soundcard / interface.

And -- until you have things set up and stable -- _ask_ whether you have any visible sidebands on PSK31.  The answer should be "no".

.             Charles

This is NOT the way to adjust for the K3.  If you do, you'll end up with receiver ALC pumping as it tries to adjust to a signal that is too low.  Check out http://www.w7ay.net/site/Technical/K3/Content/digital.html for the info on properly setting the K3's ALC level.....4 or 5 bars of ALC action is ESSENTIAL for clean signal work. 

Computer audio (USB Audio CODEC) should be set for FULL.  The "Line" volume should be to a mid-level for initial testing (mine is set at 45).  Adjust the audio out on the SignalLink until you see the  appropriate amount of ALC action. 

The K3 has a VERY clean AFSK mode, if everything is set right. 

Dave
K3DCW

Hamming it up on OS X!
www.machamradio.com
N4HAL

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2013, 01:12:53 PM »

Thanks for the input. Used the suggested settings, toned them down just a bit and it works great. Took a while to learn a bit more about the K-3, everything else did as expected.

Bill
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: