Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yeasu FT-60 car mount options  (Read 6462 times)
KD0PCG

Ignore
« on: April 05, 2013, 02:33:50 PM »

I'm looking for a clean option to mount my Yeasu FT-60R in my car. I have an NMO antenna in the middle of the trunk (I swap among a 1/4 wave 2m, an SBB-7, and a rain cap) with the coax running to under the passenger seat. I'm leaning toward a seat-bolt gooseneck but I haven't really seen any specific mounting options for an FT-60R.

Would this thing work on an FT-60R? It looks like the VX-160U can use the same FNB-83 battery as the FT-60 and the mount appears to grab on to the grooves in the battery.

http://www.proclipusa.com/brodit-device-holder/vertex-vx-160u/charging-holder-with-cigarette-lighter-adapter-982494-17366.aspx

Can you suggest any others that would work. I'd like to have something that just slides in instead of adjustable "fingers" or other methods that are difficult to extract the radio.

The car is a 2009 BMW 328iX, if it matters. I'm also open to a bit of drilling or other modifications to the interior if it will help.

Thanks everyone!
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 02:36:15 PM by KD0PCG » Logged
KQ6Q

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2013, 02:56:36 AM »

You really ought to consider getting a real mobile radio, with a remotable control head. Using an HT while mobile, even if mounted and with a headset with mike, is going to be distracting. You could put the radio CPU in the trunk near the antenna, and just use the link cable to reach the control head in the car. the display will be much larger and brighter, the controls easier to use, and you'll have a LOT more power, and not be worrying about the rechargeable battery.
KD0PCG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2013, 11:36:22 AM »

KQ6Q - I think you're right about the real solution here. I'll probably end up biting the bullet and installing an FT-8800 with the CPU under the seat and the detachable face placed somewhere convenient. I'd be worried about the CPU's temperature in a black car's trunk during a Kansas summer.

I'd still like to see a clean FT-60 mount of some sort as I'd likely use it in my wife's car when we are traveling (and she's driving!).
KD4LLA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2013, 10:19:16 AM »

I'd be worried about the CPU's temperature in a black car's trunk during a Kansas summer.

Do you worry about the car 's CPU in the Kansas heat?  Or the heat effect on the stereo?  The seats, dash, etc?  Finding a shady spot to park in would be my solution.
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 11:43:04 AM »

MFJ makes a gizmo ( MFJ-310) which is an antenna mount that hooks over the window glass and you roll it up and it puts your HT antenna up over the roof line.  there is a 7 foot long cable that hooks to your HT and it works well.  add a speaker microphone to the ft 60 and plug in a cigg lighter power cord for the ft 60 and you are in business easy peasy.  its a bit of a mess for the wires but it does work.  the other option is to buy a 2m/440 mobile rig and mount it permanently. 

the nice thing about the MFJ-301 is that if you do multiple vehicles, it goes from car to car and does not scratch the paint like a mag mount ( especially on a rental car).
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: