Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TS590 v TT EAGLE & QSK  (Read 1552 times)
ZL1BBW

Ignore
« on: January 12, 2014, 01:21:13 PM »

I foolishly (in hindsight) sold my TS530 in a severe case of gottooupgradeit. 

Am very very close to getting a TS590, then I thought what about the TT Eagle?

Has anyone experienced the QSK on these rigs?  does it work Ok, well, or  great.

Neither of the two companies have support in NZ, so that is a sort of non issue, but any opinions on that while I am at it.

I do appreciate that the eagle's Linear keying output is full QSK so the amps keying has to be able to follow the Tcvr.

ex MN Radio Officer, Portishead Radio GKA, BT Radio Amateur Morse Tester.  Licensed as G3YCP ZL1DAB, now taken over my father (sk) call as ZL1BBW.
WD8KNI

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 02:59:39 PM »

I would recommend the Eagle.  Listening to the 590 for periods of time gives me a headache, not so with TenTec radio's.. BTW, you don't have to use full QSK when using the amp.. menu selectable.  You will get many comments from non TenTec owners something like "you will get to know the service department well"  That is because you can call them directly with any question and they will happily discuss anything you want to talk about.. something you can't get with rice radio's. 

Also most likely you will be able to get any part inside for the next 20+ years..not so with the 590.. you may be lucky to get some parts beyond 10 years..

The QSK on all TenTec rigs is superior... Also they are perhaps the only company that cares what you keying output looks like..

Every time I sell a TenTec radio within a month I am kicking myself, and looking for another TecTec..

Have recently ran a Jupiter right next to a 590 with an antenna switch, that radio is 5 years older than the eagle, it heard better than the 590 in all cases, was superior in heavy interference conditions..  same antenna, just a switch

Fred
GM4PLM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 11:39:50 PM »

I foolishly (in hindsight) sold my TS530 in a severe case of gottooupgradeit. 

Am very very close to getting a TS590, then I thought what about the TT Eagle?

Has anyone experienced the QSK on these rigs?  does it work Ok, well, or  great.

Neither of the two companies have support in NZ, so that is a sort of non issue, but any opinions on that while I am at it.

I do appreciate that the eagle's Linear keying output is full QSK so the amps keying has to be able to follow the Tcvr.

Gavin

I'd be happy to give you a view of the TS590 - I run a pair in SO2R

The 590 is a superb radio - I can't comment on the Eagle but what I can say is that given the modern DSP technology of any current radio you are unlikely be getting spares for anything in 20 years time - reality is you won't be finding any major semiconductor beyond the limit any manufacturer can buy and stock them - you have not been able to buy parts for a lot of older radios like the FT736r etc for a longtime! The eagle wont be any different sorry!

As for the 590 its a superb receiver that's right up there at the top of the pile. I owned a K3... its gone .. the 590 beats it hands down, the IC7600 ... gone .. not even close... the only radio I have that's close is the KX3 and that is about on par with the 590 .... but not as friendly to drive and QRP of course.

It horses for courses of course ... I don't understand how others get a headache from the 590 . I run on contests & DX for hours ..now the K3 .. that made my head ring with the audio but the fan boys love em! This is a true SDR and really usable!

I worked 225 DXCC's last year on the TS590 - its a great CW rig - lovely audio superb filters and that kenwood audio. I haven't been a lover of kenwood for a while and had been an Icom man - but the TS590 is great and functions like USB audio and remote radio software for free ... I liked the first one so much I bought a second!!

find me on qrz - drop me an email and you can gimme a call and I will answer anything you want to know

Cheers

Simon ZL4PLM
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: