Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Question on submitting vanity call sign list  (Read 6422 times)
KK6DIR

Ignore
« on: May 21, 2014, 08:20:03 AM »

I've read all about obtaining a vanity call sign but I'm still unclear about something. Let's say I have five that I'd like to submit. Sign #1 is available on Monday, Sign #2 is available on Tuesday, etc. If I don't get Sign #1, do I have to start all over, or will they just consider my request for Sign #2 the following day and the others each day after that? If not, it doesn't make sense to submit up to 25 since most signs are available on different days, but I couldn't see where it says that. Thanks.
ND8K

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 12:25:38 PM »

I've read all about obtaining a vanity call sign but I'm still unclear about something. Let's say I have five that I'd like to submit. Sign #1 is available on Monday, Sign #2 is available on Tuesday, etc. If I don't get Sign #1, do I have to start all over, or will they just consider my request for Sign #2 the following day and the others each day after that? If not, it doesn't make sense to submit up to 25 since most signs are available on different days, but I couldn't see where it says that. Thanks.

sign#1 is available on Monday, and sign#2 is available on Tues.  If you apply on Monday for a sign available on Tuesday, your application for the Tuesday sign will be denied.  If you apply on Tuesday for both of those signs (and if the Monday sign is still available three weeks from Tues) then you will get a shot at each of them.

There is about a three week wait between application and when they run "the lottery". This gives folks 10 days to get their payment in (by mail).  If neither of these are sought-after callsigns, then applying on Tues for both signs will probably give you a shot at both signs. If there is competition for the callsigns, then you would have to apply on Monday for sign#1 and then on Tues for sign#2.  Three weeks later, if you get your Monday callsign then you can go in and cancel your request for sign#2. If you FAIL to get sign#1, then you may request your fee back for that attempt, and then wait and see what happens with sign#2. If that one fails, you make a request for THAT fee back.

Your list of up to 25 callsigns need to be callsigns that are available ON THE APPLICATION DAY. choosing callsigns available before that day (often taken by the time of the lottery) or after that day (automatically disqualified) doesn't work.

Again, remember that you can petition for the return of your fee if no callsign is assigned.  Thus, it costs you nothing to apply. Further, you have up to 10 days to pay the fee.  You can monitor the progress of that callsign. If it looks like 100 people have applied for the same callsign, you can just not pay and you will be automatically removed.

Generally, the ONLY way to get a coveted 1x2 or 2x1 callsign is to apply ON THE DAY that it becomes available.  You will find some 2x1 callsigns that aren't so coveted  that are always available, but they usually have weird or quirky letter combos that people shy away from.

You did not say what type of callsign you are going for. For me, I created a list (of 1x2 and 2x1 and 2x3) by examining each area, determining which callsigns are coming up over the next couple of months, and making a list of the day/callsigns that I would apply for. On the day that I applied, ND8K was my fourth choice, and there was NO competition for it (actually, there was competition at first, but as people dropped out due to non payment, it opened up free and clear after my first three choices were taken.)

clear as mud?

Finally, all entries from Sat/Sun/Mon go into one drawing. There is generally much more competition for callsigns that come up over the weekend.
KK6DIR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2014, 03:08:03 PM »

Thanks, ND8K ~~ The mud is beginning to clear a little. I saw your reply to a similar question after I asked this one so you are very kind to reply to mine.

But here's the thing: Yes, I'm applying for a 1x2 as I just got my Extra, but it showed up on the FCC database ONE DAY after a very desirable call sign became available. So will my application be considered along with one I believe applied for the day it became available? Or is there still a shot since maybe they will be a nonpayment? It went from green to blue on the AE7Q.com site in one day.

Also, I blindly listed call signs that are not yet available, so what happens when they do become available? Can I apply for those again on the proper day if I don't get my first choice? I realize it will cost more fees.

I can see where this is not a quick-simple-easy project and where a spreadsheet would come in handy!
Thanks.
W3HF

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2014, 05:26:59 AM »

1. Applications are processed based on the (FCC business) day received. So if "that other" application was submitted on an FCC business day, it (and any other apps) received that day will be processed in one batch. When those are done, they will process the next day's batch. If one of those succeeds (against your desired callsign), you have no chance. But if the applicant withdraws his app, or fails to pay, then it's possible.

(It looks like there are 15 applicants for your "very desirable call sign", so I think it's unlikely that all will either withdraw or fail to pay. So keep working your backup plans.)

2. You can always submit more applications--no more than one per day, though--as long as you pay the appropriate fee. In fact, that's common for applicants desiring the more popular callsign varieties. It may take multiple attempts to "win the lottery." Once one of your apps succeeds, all of the later apps will be automatically dismissed (if you don't withdraw them first) because your callsign on the app will not match what is then-current in the database. Just remember to apply for refunds for any apps that fail to succeed or are withdrawn.
KK6DIR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2014, 08:15:36 AM »

Thank you W3HF. I think I'm catching on through trial and error. So this is why they say it can takes weeks or months to get a vanity! The early bird (but not too early) gets the worm, but only with a good dose of luck!
AA7LV

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2014, 08:44:15 PM »

Grin http://www.ae7q.com/query/text/Vanity.php Grin

".. the FCC takes 18 or more days to actually process your vanity application,
 you must meet all of the FCC's requirements as of the official receipt date by the FCC
..."

Grin http://www.ae7q.com/query/  Grin

Wink "Query tools main page" Wink
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 08:46:30 PM by N6UZD » Logged

"I SPENT all my money on radios and antennas; the rest I just WASTED!"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: