Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New to APRS  (Read 9985 times)
KB1VEJ

Ignore
« on: April 07, 2013, 10:34:59 AM »

Hi,
I just got a VX-8 as my first radio and need a little advice on configuring the APRS.  I have been unable to get my call sign to show up on APRS.fi though my configuration seems correct.  I am in Milwaukee Wisconsin and have my B VFO set to 144.390 and my beacon interval set to 5 minute interval.  Thanks in advance for any help!

-Nate
K7RBW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 05:40:52 AM »

If everything on your radio is set correctly, it could just be that there's no iGate nearby to receive your beacons. Can you find your location on http://aprs.fi and see if there are any iGates or digipeaters around you?
KB1VEJ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 06:14:47 PM »

I see 1 iGate and 3 digipeaters within 10 miles probably less.  I was able to see my call show up while in close proximity to one of the digipeaters so I know the radio is functioning at close range. Ideas?
WB0KSL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2013, 04:09:32 AM »

APRS.FI shows last position Milwaukee, 4-7-13 at 13:28:42

73 de wb0ksl
KD0BKH

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2013, 01:26:36 PM »

Couple of quick questions - are you using five watts output and are you outside and/or using an outside antenna?

Ed - KD0BKH
KB1VEJ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2013, 04:08:37 PM »

Ed,
I am using the 5 watt power output, and I am using my radio outside.  I do have the stock antenna on the radio.

And the 4/7/13 position was from when I was sitting right next to the repeater.

Thanks!
-Nate KB1VEJ
KD0BKH

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2013, 05:31:08 AM »

Ed,
I am using the 5 watt power output, and I am using my radio outside.  I do have the stock antenna on the radio.

And the 4/7/13 position was from when I was sitting right next to the repeater.

Thanks!
-Nate KB1VEJ

Not knowing what kind of coverage you have in your area - I'd try a better antenna first.  It would appear that you have everything configured properly, since the digi / igate picked you up.  A better antenna can't possibly hurt, and should help.  I just use one of the hershey kiss type antennas  with a big red bee, and have no problems at all.

Ed - KD0BKH
KB1VEJ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2013, 08:14:59 PM »

Ed,
Thanks for the help I was looking at the Diamond SRH 302A.
-Nate
KD0BKH

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2013, 05:46:33 AM »

Ed,
Thanks for the help I was looking at the Diamond SRH 302A.
-Nate

If you're trying to do mobile APRS, I'd suggest that a mag mount on the roof of the car is a better option.  Cost of one of the hershey kiss type antennas is about half of the Diamond, and anything on the outside of the vehicle should be way better than a duckie inside.

Ed - KD0BKH
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: