Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OK, you guys win :-) (moved from Contesting)  (Read 2920 times)
AC4RD

Ignore
« on: April 07, 2013, 10:54:43 AM »

OK, I decided to try using a modern log instead of my mix of paper and an MS-Access database.  I played for a while this weekend in the EA-RTTY contest and then on CW for a bit, letting FLDIGI do my logging for me.  Sure enough, it works great, it's easier than the way I was doing it before, and I can easily export my FLDIGI log to a CSV file to import into my database for recordkeeping, QSLing, etc.

You guys were right; these newfangled "computers" really DO have some useful aspects.  ;-)  Thanks.
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2013, 05:52:05 PM »

OK, I decided to try using a modern log instead of my mix of paper and an MS-Access database.  I played for a while this weekend in the EA-RTTY contest and then on CW for a bit, letting FLDIGI do my logging for me.  Sure enough, it works great, it's easier than the way I was doing it before, and I can easily export my FLDIGI log to a CSV file to import into my database for recordkeeping, QSLing, etc.

You guys were right; these newfangled "computers" really DO have some useful aspects.  ;-)  Thanks.

Weren't you the fellow that got all wound when someone suggested this a few months ago?  Wink

Thanks,
Dave
For reviews and setups see: http://www.nk7z.net
KG6AF

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2013, 08:39:57 PM »

Computers do have one big downside: sooner or later, you're going to lose your data.  When you have a hard drive failure--and it's a question of when, not if--any data that hasn't been backed up will disappear for good.

I suggest you use something like Dropbox to store your log file.  Any time the file changes, it'll automatically be backed up on remote servers.  You can get 2 GB of free offline storage just for signing up.  I wouldn't put any sensitive info into Dropbox, but it's great for things like logs.

Of course, if you upload your logs to eQSL or LOTW, you can use those sites as cloud storage.  I don't think either makes any representations about guaranteeing that your data won't be lost, but they've been good so far.
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 04:13:30 AM »

Computers do have one big downside: sooner or later, you're going to lose your data.  When you have a hard drive failure--and it's a question of when, not if--any data that hasn't been backed up will disappear for good.

My first computer at work was around 1983-84, and it could boot either to Zenith-DOS or CP/M, depending on what I wanted to do and which 5.25" boot floppy I put in.  I *promise* you, I've had sudden equipment failure.  Home and work both, I run a backup every hour or three, and always before any major operations.  The short-term backups are alternated between two devices, currently 32g thumb drives.  The long-term backups are run twice a week, alternating between two 3t external USB drives.   The last time I had a sudden failure (hard drive emitted a puff of smoke and quit working), about 4 hours before a big deadline, I just grabbed my backup device, went to another computer, and kept working.  :-)

You're absolutely right: It's not IF, it's WHEN.  :-)
K5UNX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2013, 11:23:34 AM »

I suggest you use something like Dropbox to store your log file. . . . . .

I think you are correct. It's not if but when you will have a hard drive failure or some other bad thing that causes access to your primary copy of data to be lost.

I disagree though on losing data. You don't have to lose any data except maybe the thing you were currently working on. I have lost hard drives and never lost a thing. That's due to a backup strategy that works.

Most people don't backup properly or think they don't need to. A backup doesn't mean you copy a few things to a thumb drive or put a few files on Dropbox. I did use Dropbox and think things there are fairly safe but I back those up with my backup solution as well. What if Dropbox shutdown? How would you get those files back?

The question to ask is this . . . if you computer was destroyed right now, would you lose any data? If you answer yes, then you should re-think your backup strategy. Call me paranoid but I have 1000's of photos of my kids over the last 10-15 years on my computer and I would rather not depend on a hard drive to keep them safe.

KG6AF

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2013, 12:58:07 PM »

I disagree though on losing data. You don't have to lose any data except maybe the thing you were currently working on. I have lost hard drives and never lost a thing. That's due to a backup strategy that works.

You're preaching to the choir.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: