Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Choose between the Sony 7600GR and the Tecsun PL660  (Read 19809 times)
N7DMA

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2013, 09:09:17 PM »

I have a Tecsun PL-600 that I purchased about 6 months ago, and I find it to be a fairly capable portable receiver. I bought it over the PL-660 due to it being about half the price, and the only difference between the two was the lack of sync detection. Works well on SSB in the ham bands, filtering is kinda wide for CW. It has real knobs! Never noticed overload with the supplied wire antenna.

Hey, for about 60 bux, I'm happy with it. Sounds OK, too! My 2 cents worth!
N7DMA

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2013, 09:22:10 PM »

Forgot to mention the crappy switching power supply included with the PL-600. It renders the radio unusable.
And the lousy included 1000mAh nicads. Internal charging problems with batteries in the radio is a well documented problem. A set of Duracells run it for about a week of casual use; that's what I do.
Oh, yeah, the manual was in Chinese. But a suitable manual in engrish is on the web as a PDF.
Still, no regrets. Fine radio, and in spite of all that, I'm happy with it.
W9KDX

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2013, 06:50:16 PM »

Thanks for the feedback on the Tecsuns.  I am not surprised about the power supply, but the lack of synchronous detection is the main reason the 660 is so impressive.

BTW, the Sony 7600GR has similar problems with the power supply.  Some versions, not so long ago, actually shipped with a label stating Not for Use with Radio or similar language.

Sam
W9KDX
KJ6ZOL

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2013, 09:23:03 AM »

Forgot to mention the crappy switching power supply included with the PL-600. It renders the radio unusable.
And the lousy included 1000mAh nicads. Internal charging problems with batteries in the radio is a well documented problem. A set of Duracells run it for about a week of casual use; that's what I do.
Oh, yeah, the manual was in Chinese. But a suitable manual in engrish is on the web as a PDF.
Still, no regrets. Fine radio, and in spite of all that, I'm happy with it.

The radio isn't meant to be run off AC anyway. The AC is there to charge the nicads. If you take the batteries out at the end of each day they'll last longer, Chinese portables are notorious energy vampires and drain batteries fast. I'm using a Degen 1102 with the supplied nicads, and it seems to charge fine. The Tecsuns are half the radio of the old Degens for twice the price.  Angry Angry
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: