Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LoTW for multiple state/county line operation  (Read 6059 times)
N7SMI

Ignore
« on: April 08, 2013, 12:11:30 PM »

I'm planning a multi-county / multi-state line portable operation for the 7th Area QSO Party. I'm curious how one would go about setting things up to provide LoTW confirmations for each county and state. I'm assuming one would set up one location for each county/state combination, then upload distinct logs for each location.

If N1ABC works me and I'm on a border of two states (and thus 2 counties), if I set up distinct locations and upload the QSOs for each county/state, and N1ABC uploads two QSOs (one for each county/state), will we both get the appropriate confirmations?

Based on what the LoTW FAQ states is used to make a QSL match, it seems that only one would 'take'.
KB3LIX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 09:11:15 AM »

The only way I can see that working would be to set up the accounts
in LoTW like KB3LIX/WASH, KB3LIX/ALLE, KB3LIX/BUT,
indicating the county of operation.

HOWEVER, the other guy would PROBABLY have to enter
your call exactly as sent, indiczating the county.
If they were not the same, no match.

Remember,
LoTW doesn't care about state OR county.

Send an e-mail to the league and they can tell U if this is possible.

I may C U in the 7th area QP.
N7SMI

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2013, 10:31:15 AM »

Of note is the N1MM just released an update today with better support for logging and operating county line operations. Details at http://n1mm.hamdocs.com/tiki-list_file_gallery.php?galleryId=15

The only way I can see that working would be to set up the accounts
in LoTW like KB3LIX/WASH, KB3LIX/ALLE, KB3LIX/BUT,
indicating the county of operation..

Yeah, that's not a very good option. I'm going to have a long, complicated exchange as it is - no use complicating it with a complex call sign too.

Everything indicates that at most only one of the QSOs will match, so I'm going to set up my LoTW uploads with the rarest county - Rich County, Utah where there are currently no active hams on HF.

I may C U in the 7th area QP.

I hope so! I'm planning to operate from the Utah / Idaho / Wyoming "three corners" intersection - one contact with me will net you 3 states and 3 rare counties. More details at http://www.qrz.com/db/N7SMI
N5NA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2013, 06:25:50 PM »

I operate mobile in a number of state QSO parties from 25 or 30 different counties.  I use CQ/X for logging.  It has an option to export the QSO's for each county as an ADIF.  I just set up a location for each county, sign each county ADIF file with the appropriate location, and upload each one.  Actually I usually just email them to LOTW since there are so many files.

You will get a confirmation for each QSO with each of the other stations that upload their log since you are in a different location for each QSO.  While the ARRL does nothing with the county CQ, who administers the county hunters award, will probably eventually accept LOTW for the county award.  CQ is already using LOTW for WPX.

I highly recommend you upload your logs with the correct county for each QSO.

73, Alan N5NA

« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 06:32:19 PM by N5NA » Logged
N7SMI

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2013, 09:28:49 PM »

You will get a confirmation for each QSO with each of the other stations that upload their log since you are in a different location for each QSO.

While this would work for mobile, I don't see how this could work for closely consecutive calls on a county line. LoTW uses call, mode, band, and date/time (within 30 minutes) to determine a match. If I work a county line operation and give out 3 counties in quick succession (less then 30 minutes on the same band and mode), even if I upload separate locations on my end, I don't see how more than one of our QSOs would match. The LoTW FAQ even outlines this exact scenario and indicates only one match would occur - https://p1k.arrl.org/lotw/faq#datamatch
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 09:31:31 PM by N7SMI » Logged
N5NA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2013, 05:34:14 AM »

You will get a confirmation for each QSO with each of the other stations that upload their log since you are in a different location for each QSO.

While this would work for mobile, I don't see how this could work for closely consecutive calls on a county line.

I did a couple of county line operations a few years ago so I checked LOTW.  You are correct.  Since both counties are in my log at the same time and band only one of the county QSO's shows up in LOTW even though I uploaded as separate locations.  There were a couple of QSO's that spanned a change in the minute logged and both of those with their correct location were in LOTW.  Even those with a minute difference in the time will be a problem to match unless the other station also has a time difference.  Otherwise LOTW will only show one QSO in his log as well.

Thanks for bringing up this question.  I had never thought about it or checked it for a county line operation.

73, Alan N5NA

N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2013, 08:26:49 PM »

I really don't think this is what LoTW was intended for. For a roving operation over a relatively short period of time, it seems to me that the best, but not the cheapest, way to handle this is to make a batch of QSL cards for each county and state or make on "generic" card with the name of each county and state you will working from and circle the appropriate location.

Besides, if I am chasing counties, I am not even sure how having confirmation within LoTW would help me since I would have to somehow export the logs and submit them to someone else if I was working towards an award. If I was a county hunter, all I would really care about is some sort of written confirmation and it wouldn't have to be something fancy from a professional QSL printer. But that's just me!
N7SMI

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2013, 07:41:28 AM »

For a roving operation over a relatively short period of time, it seems to me that the best, but not the cheapest, way to handle this is to make a batch of QSL cards for each county and state or make on "generic" card with the name of each county and state you will working from and circle the appropriate location.

Right, but the question still stands - what if you're giving out multiple states at the same time by working the border? The WAS rules don't address this. Would they accept one QSL card that showed 3 states worked for a WAS award? If not, would they accept 3 separate cards (one for each state) that showed the exact same date/time, mode, band? I see the latter as no different from the former, except that it is a lot more work to produce.
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2013, 05:05:18 AM »

It is my understanding that a QSL card is good for one contact only so in the case of border operations, it would require three cards.
N5NA

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2013, 06:39:38 PM »

Right, but the question still stands - what if you're giving out multiple states at the same time by working the border? The WAS rules don't address this. Would they accept one QSL card that showed 3 states worked for a WAS award? If not, would they accept 3 separate cards (one for each state) that showed the exact same date/time, mode, band? I see the latter as no different from the former, except that it is a lot more work to produce.

There's no reason you can't have all of the QSO's on one card as long as the state and county is indicated for each.  The county hunters use Mobile Reply Cards (MRC).  The same should be valid for WAS.  All the needed info is on the card.

Here's an example of an MRC:  http://www.qsl.net/ke3vv/CountyHunting/CountyLionGuide/CountyLionsGuideHowToMRC.htm
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: